Wednesday, October 2, 2013


It's the first Wednesday of the month time for IWSG where we writers help each other deal with our insecurities. Thanks to Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, for providing writer's a safe and supportive format to speak openly, and without fear, about the insecurities that come with the craft of writing.

I've spent over a year sharing my writing insecurities with you as part of Alex's support group. Even though I could go on for another year, I thought I'd change things up a bit and share a few quotes about insecurity. I hope they encourage you and challenge you to move past your fears as I attempt to do each time I sit down at my keyboard. Happy Wednesday!

I always think the insecurity is going to go away, but it's always there. Only bad writers think they're good. ~ Harlan Coben

The task we must set for ourselves is not to feel secure, but to be able to tolerate insecurity. ~ Erich Fromm

It's insecurity that is always chasing you and standing in the way of your dreams. ~ Vin Diesel

It's an old adage that the way to be safe is never to be secure... Each one of us requires the spur of insecurity to force us to do our best. ~ Harold W. Dodds

People are never more insecure than when they become obsessed with their fears at the expense of their dreams. ~ Norman Cousins

Don't let insecurity ruin the beauty you were born with. ~ Unknown

The opposite of security is insecurity, and the only way to overcome insecurity is to take risks. ~ Theodore Forstmann

Many insecure people are not sure of themselves. Insecurity leads to indecision-which is terrible. At least I think it is... sometimes... maybe... ~Howard Borden

The things you want are always possible; it is just that the way to get them is not always apparent. The only real obstacle in your path to a fulfilling life is you, and that can be a considerable obstacle because you carry the baggage of insecurities and past experience. ~ Les Brown

Don't let fear or insecurity stop you from trying new things. Believe in yourself. Do what you love. And most importantly, be kind to others, even if you don't like them. ~Stacy London

Be sure to hop around and visit the other members of IWSG. It's nice to see that you're not alone in your writing insecurities.

One More Thing....                                   


The Ninja Captain has done it again! He, along with his crew of Ninjas, have created an Insecure Writer’s Support Group website. Check it out here. They also have a Facebook page. Feel free to check it out, too.

Thank you, Alex, for your willingness to help fellow writers navigate their way through these stormy literary waters. You are a gift to the writing and blogging community!


24 comments:

T. Drecker said...

Oh, I love that 1st quote! It mirrors some thoughts I was just having right before I popped over here. ESP? ;)

Beverly Fox said...

Great quotes! Thanks for sharing these!

And the new IWSG site looks AMAZING- I'm so excited!

Thanks for participating in IWSG and for your comment!

Quanie Miller said...

Great quotes! Thanks for sharing!

Meradeth Houston said...

Great quotes! Got a laugh out of the Howard Borden one--so true! :)

Lexa Cain said...

Thanks for all the quotes. I'm feeling pretty insecure this month and those encouraging words really help. :-)

Laura said...

Those are some great quotes, very appropriate! Thanks for sharing :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Great quotes, Jenn. Thanks for sharing them.

S.K. Anthony said...

Oh my gosh! I love these quotes :D

Thanks for the inspirational "talk", it's just what I needed. Happy Wednesday!

Michelle Wallace said...

Thanks for sharing these quotes!
It proves that powerful, highly successful people have their doubts and insecurities too... so what's wrong with little ole me having a few of my own...?
Writer In Transit

Christine Rains said...

Fantastic quotes! We can never let our insecurities win.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Love all the quotes. Hope everyone checks out the new site.

cleemckenziebooks said...

I love the Erich Fromm quote. There's not much more we can do but learn to adapt, is there?

I'm back from my break. Great to be here again, especially on an IWSG day.

Adrienne Reiter said...

Harlan Coben's quote nails it. I love all the quotes. Fun post!

Adrienne Reiter said...

Harlan Coben's quote nails it. I love all the quotes. Fun post!

S.P. Bowers said...

Love the quotes, especially the first one. It gives me hope since I usually think my writing stinks.

Brandon Ax said...

The Howard Borden was my favorite and very apt for me.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thank you for being a part of the IWSG! The Norman Cousins quote is good.

Nick Wilford said...

I like these quotes because they show how insecurities can be used in a positive way. I think I like the Harold W Dodds one best.

Annalisa Crawford said...

"Only bad writers think they're good" - how true! And judging by that alone, we're in elite company in the IWSG :-)

Susan Oloier said...

I always appreciate a good quote when I'm feeling unsure (or insecure in this case) about something.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

T. Drecker, I love the first quote, too. they say great minds think alike. Cheers to a fellow great mind.

You are welcome, Beverly. I love the new IWSG site, too.

You are very welcome, Quanie, Meradeth, Lexa, Laura, and Susanne! I'm glad they inspired you.

S.K., sometimes we all need an inspirational talk.

Michelle, it just proves we are normal. If there is such a thing.

You are so right, Christine!

Susan, I think the site will be a hit; there's a lot of insecurities out there.

Welcome back, C.Lee. Change is inevitable. We must adapt to survive.

Glad you enjoyed the post, Adrienne!

Me, too, S.P.. It's nice to know even the most famous had insecurities.

Brandon and Alex, I love how different quotes spoke to different folks.

Nick, you are so right. The key is to make all things work for our good.

Yes we are, Annalisa. Yes we are!

For me, Susan, a good quote can put everything in perspective.

cleemckenziebooks said...

Great quotes, Jenn. Thanks.

Julie Flanders said...

I'm a quote addict and these are awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Old Kitty said...

Thanks for these reflective quotes! I like one by Unknown! Take care
x

Share this: