Monday, September 2, 2013

Happy Labor (Free) Day!


In America Labor Day is held annually on the first Monday of September. I think it should actually be called labor free day since many Americans have the day off work.

Originally it was organized to celebrate various labor associations' strengths and contributions to the United States economy. Now it is largely a day of rest and relaxation that marks the end of the summer season. It's the last chance to take camping trips, have swim parties, or a backyard BBQ with family and friends.

The first Labor Day was held in 1882. Its origins stem from the desire of the Central Labor Union to create a holiday for workers. It became a federal holiday in 1894. It was originally intended that the day would be filled with a street parade to allow the public to appreciate the work of the trade and labor organizations. After the parade, a festival was to be held to amuse local workers and their families. In later years, prominent men and women held speeches. This is less common now, but is sometimes seen in election years. One of the reasons for choosing to celebrate this on the first Monday in September was to add a holiday in the long gap between Independence Day and Thanksgiving.

Since I love quotes here are a few about Labor Day:
  • If any man tells you he loves America, yet hates labor, he is a liar. If any man tells you he trusts America, yet fears labor, he is a fool.~Abraham Lincoln
  • Labor rids us of three great evils; tediousness, vice, and poverty - Anonymous
  • Without labor nothing prospers. ~ Sophocles
  • When your work speaks for itself, don’t interrupt. ~ Henry J. Kaiser
...and my favorite because I live in Los Angeles the traffic capital of the world:
  • If all the cars in the United States were placed end to end, it would probably be Labor Day Weekend. ~Doug Larson
photo credit: Pranav Bhatt via photopin cc

Are you free from labor today? If so, what are you doing to celebrate?

8 comments:

Jo said...

Being retired I don't work away from the home, being a housewife, I am never totally free of labour although I am lucky to have a very helping husband.

Yolanda Renee said...

I didn't find it labor free, I washed windows, vacuumed, and weeded. Then when I went downstairs to do laundry I found a snake's skin. Six feet long, which means he / or she is living under my kitchen in the crawl space. I'm freaked!

Jo said...

I'd be freaked too. Can you call someone to catch it for you?

L.G. Smith said...

I worked on the writing like usual, but then I snuck out for some fun in the evening. :)

Break over. Back to the regular schedule tomorrow.

Crystal Collier said...

Yeah, we spent the day cleaning the house. Yay.

Well, at least it was different labor.

Lynda R Young said...

Happy Labor Day. Loved the quotes, especially, Labor rids us of three great evils; tediousness, vice, and poverty.

Adrienne Reiter said...

Love the Lincoln quote!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Jo, I'm work at home, too and you're right, we're never free from work.

Yolanda, yikes!!! I hope he was just passing through.

L.G., good for you because Jack Nicholson taught us what all work and no play can turn us into to.

Crystal, and you got a clean house :-)

Thank you, Lynda, funny how labor rids us of poverty.

Adrienne, me, too!

Share this: