Wednesday, August 21, 2013


Recently a member of our critique trio gave birth to her first child and decided to take a hiatus. Although we are very happy for her, and are in total agreement with her decision, her absence made us ponder the future of our group. We really hope our missing partner returns after her maternity leave, but we would understand if the joys of motherhood led her in another direction.

Being the troopers we are we decided to go ahead with our monthly meeting. We met at at our usual spot, Literati Cafe, a place frequented by the writerly types, and gets your creative juices flowing the moment you step in. We ordered our usual drinks, a latte for her,Genmaicha tea for me, before pulling out our notes and pens and getting to work. Three hours later we wrapped up our session both feeling like we were ready to attack the next leg of this writing journey. Yes, we missed our third member. Yes, we know two is not enough to make a group. No, all our problems weren't solved in one night, but as former UCLA Basketball Coach John Wooden would say: Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. 

My writer partner and I had no idea what would happen at the meeting last night, but we went forward anyway, the same way I do when writing. Often I'm not sure how, or if, a scene will work. Will it move the story forward? Slow down the pace or hinder the plot altogether? Sometimes I'm just not sure until after the words are on the page. However, I'm sure I must move forward and get the words on the page. For as Victor Kiam says: Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward. Fortunately for us our meeting went well and we didn't fall on our faces.

Even though we haven't finished our race with this current WIP, we both feel that we are one step closer to the finish line. I know I'm only getting there because of the friends who've helped me along the way. I am super grateful for our meeting last night and I'm grateful that my remaining partner really is a true friend and a good writer!

How do you keep moving forward? Do you have a friend who is a good writer?

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad the two of you met anyways. Sounds like it motivated both of you.
My writer friends are all online, but I have one in particular I can bounce ideas off of.

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

I absolutely think you should continue on, with or without your third muskateer. :) Maybe your friend will make a full comeback or maybe a partial one but you and your other friend can keep those writing fires burning. I'm happy you have writer friends to rely upon, I've had one for many years and recently a new one has come into the fold and I am much appreciative. - You're moving forward and that's what counts! :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I think two is officially a group. I have lots of writer friends and I'm looking forward to getting together with them in a few weeks in person.

S.P. Bowers said...

I have several friends and beta readers/crit partners that help me move forward. Unfortunately, they are all internet friends. I've never been able to sit down and discuss in a meeting like you have. How fun that would be.

Morgan said...

I'm so glad you've got such a support, Jenn. I do have one friend that I couldn't survive without! We text all the time and totally vent our frustrations together. It's tough to be a writer... and we can't do this alone!

Michael Pierce said...

It's awesome that you have a regular meeting day and place, whether it be two or three of you. It's so helpful to have one or more people to bounce ideas off of and keep the momentum going.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks, Alex, I'm glad we met, too. It was a great motivator!

Yes, Mimi, the main thing is to keep moving forward, which I'm trying to do.

Thank you, Susan. I needed that encouragement since we made be a duo for awhile.

It it is fun, S.P.. Having online beta readers would be nice, too.

You are so right, Morgan! I don't if I could do this without the help I receive from friends and family.

Thank you, Micheal, it is very helpful. I wish we met more often.

Melissa said...

I have several CPs (all over the US, via email), but one stands out above the others. Although we live in separate states and have never spoken by phone, we've become good friends. We email and text all the time. (If we haven't heard from one another in a couple of days, we get worried! LOL) She gives me encouragement and keeps me going when life gets me down.

Glad you didn't give up on your group. Sometimes even one person can make all the difference. :)

Julie Flanders said...

So glad you and your friend were able to motivate each other like this. That's a great feeling!

Marcia said...

I think two is a group! So glad your meeting went well.

cleemckenziebooks said...

You're so lucky to be able to meet with your group in person. We are scattered all over the place and can only communicate online. :-(

michelle said...

I've never had a face-to-face meeting with writer buddies. They are all online.
You are fortunate to have that physical contact.
Writer In Transit

Nancy LaRonda Johnson said...

Two is a powerful # - as with prayers, two people can utilize great forces to make fantastic changes! That's great that you two are keeping the group going. It can be so easy for writing groups to disintegrate, unfortunately. But, may your third party realize that having her own interest makes parenthood so much more worth it.

(requesting FB likes) Nancy’s Facebook page

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Melissa, you are so right. One person can make a difference.

Thanks, Julie, it is a great feeling.

I needed to hear those word, Marcia. It helps dissuade my self-doubt.

Thanks for the reminder,C.Lee and Michelle. Often I forget to count my blessings.

Nancy, I like the thought of the two of us utilizing great forces to make fantastic changes!

Share this: