Wednesday, August 7, 2013


It's the first Wednesday of the month time for IWSG where we writers help each other deal with our insecurities. Thanks to Ninja Captain, Alex Cavanaugh, for providing writer's a safe and supportive format to speak openly, and without fear, about the insecurities that come with the craft of writing. 

In the mid-nineties there was a cartoon called Pinky and the Brain that featured two genetically enhanced laboratory mice who lived in a cage in the Acme Labs research facility. In each episode, Brain devises a new plan to take over the world, which ultimately ends in failure, due to the ridiculousness of Brain's plan or Pinky's stupidity. Each episode began with the following dialogue: 

Pinky: "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world!"

After spending much more time than I care to calculate on writing and revising, and revising, and revising, this manuscript, I am beginning to feel a lot like The Brain. Every morning I sit down and ask myself, "What are you going to do today, Jenn?" and I answer, "Try and finish my story." 

I only hope that that I'm not living in a research facility and taking part in a large experiment on the resilience of writers and revisions. I hope that I actually can succeed with my plan to finish my story. I need to know that this is not all a hopeless folly. Will these revisions ever come to an end? Is there a plan where I successfully finish this novel, acquire an agent and get it published? I don't need to believe that I can take over the world, just finish this manuscript. But, until then, I will continue to sit at my desk and tell myself, today, I will finish this manuscript.

However, I won't be telling myself that today, because I got called in for jury duty and will have to contemplate, finished manuscripts, and world domination another day. 

But please don't let my absence stop you from visiting the other writers in the link below and support them in their insecurities. 



20 comments:

Suzanne Furness said...

I love this cartoon (well my kids did and I had to watch it with them didn't I?) funny I was only thinking about it the other day too! Good luck with everything :)

Laura said...

I remember Pinky and the Brain, what a cartoon. I'm sure you'll get your story finished sometime soon :)

tfwalsh said...

Ha... another person who loves Pinky and Brains... very cool cartoon.

S.P. Bowers said...

Loved Pinky and the Brain. I know how you feel. Sometimes it can be so repetitive, and it can keep going and going. Hang in there, you will get to the end.

Have fun at jury duty.

Melissa said...

Poor you. Jury duty. Blek.

Good luck with your muse once you get back to writing. I have those days, too, when I wonder if all this work has been for nothing. Then I remind myself: it will be only if I give up. ;)

August co-host and IWSG #110

Rachna Chhabria said...

I have never watched Pinky and Brains, it looks good.

Lexa Cain said...

I love Pinky and The Brain!!!! I know all about those daily, optimistic goals that go poof! before bedtime. (I've been trying to finish a chapter for three days...)

I hope you don't get picked for a jury and get a lot of reading done instead. :-)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You gave me a great laugh today. My son is 28 and he used to love that show. He still sings that song.

Julie Flanders said...

You will finish it! Here's to world domination.

My nephew used to love Pinky and the Brain and this post brought back great memories of his laughter over it when he was a kid.

Nicole said...

One morning you'll wake up and it'll be complete!!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You will finish it! Or take over the world, one of the two.
Maybe take a one day break, just so you don't say that to yourself.

Christine Rains said...

You'll get there! Just hang in there. Pinky and the Brain was one of my favorites on Animaniacs.

Johanna Garth said...

The resilience of other writers is one of those things that inspires me to keep working! I'm sure you'll get there...eventually!

Lynda R Young said...

The only way to finish it is one step at a time. Have fun at the jury duty (best place for watching people!)

Tammy Theriault said...

my friend showed me this on youtube. it was hilarious! jury duty - not so much :(

Empty Nest Insider said...

I remember that cartoon! You are much further along than I am, as I haven't even started yet. I'm sure you'll be able to jump back in once jury duty is over. Good luck with everything Jenn!

Julie

cleemckenziebooks said...

I hope the trial doesn't last too long! Good luck,

Adriana Dascalu said...

I don't know the cartoons but I'll look it up. Loved the post!

Cynthia said...

I don't think I've seen the cartoon, but I'm certainly familiar with the repetitive stuff I tell myself when I sit down to work. Sometimes when it's just me and the computer, I have to be my own motivational coach.

L.G. Keltner said...

Love Pinky and the Brain!

Share this: