Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Food for Thought...

photo credit: MrJamesAckerley via photopin cc
Isn't that a cool name for a shop? I've never been there, I found the picture on Photo Pin, but it looks like it would be a fun place to visit, if only because of its name.

Today in honor of National Cherry Turnover Day, I thought I'd share some literary food for thought:

  • Literary agent, Jill Corcoran, said this is a must read: RANT: It's not a scam...but it's not good, either-- Some small presses aren't worth it. One point that stood out to me was this: If the publisher is more focused on what YOU can provide in terms of marketing and production than what THEY can provide, RUN. Sometimes I think we are so anxious to get the baby we've been cultivating for weeks, months, or years, into the hands of readers, we stop short of selling our soul; but we shouldn't. If we were willing to pour the time into writing it, I think we can pour some more time into waiting for the right person to come along and publish it. 

  • Anne R. Allen talks about the 12 Social Media Mistakes for Authors to Avoid. Her tips were spot on, and some of her analogies were hilarious: Spamming somebody’s Facebook wall is like putting up a billboard on their front yard. Other tips were career building, like #6 on blogging your WIP. Hop over there and check it out. I think it will help you navigate writing in Cyberia

  • Another Literary Agent, Sarah Nego, shared a wonderful post about Finding Your Magic. Her post touched my battle torn heart as I struggle through this current revision. It reminded me that as writers we don't write to fulfill a personal dream or desire, but for all the children aching for a new book to read. We press on until we find our magic because somewhere out there is a child waiting for our book.

  • Last week author Laurisa White Reyes shared some of her favorite childhood books, which was a fun walk down memory lane. 


Speaking of memory lane cherry turnovers bring back fun memories of bologna sandwiches and hostess turnovers. I actually preferred apple over cherry, since I think cherries taste best right off the tree, but back then a sweet was a sweet. Fortunately, as I matured so did my palette. Now I prefer my turnovers from the oven instead of a wax wrapper.  If you prefer to make your own, check out this recipe if not, check out your local grocery store. Either way, I hope you find time to celebrate National Cherry Turnover Day.


www.RecipeGirl.com
Doesn't this look yummy!?!



17 comments:

Damyanti said...

Thanks for all those lovely links...good fodder for the flipboard on my ipad :)

Melissa said...

When I first skimmed this, I thought it said, 'National CEMETERY turnover day.' xD
(Don't psychoanalyze that. Please. :P)

Great post linking some great posts.
Love the sign and the CHERRY turnover. ;)

L.G. Smith said...

Ha! I love that analogy of spamming someone being the same as putting up a billboard in their yard. I had to unfollow someone on Twitter the other day because their pleas for me to buy their novel were relentless. It was like they had plastered fliers all over my living room window.

And those Hostess pies...takes me back to middle school. :P

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I wonder if Hostess Pies last as long as Twinkies?
Anne's article was awesome.
My publisher expects me to do my share of marketing through my blog, but they do a ton for me in the real world.

Yolanda Renee said...

Great links, thanks!

I loved Hostess apple pies, but that cherry tart might get me to change to the dark side! :)

S.P. Bowers said...

I do love that store name.

We never bought store treats growing up. We always made our own so I was an adult the first time I tasted a hostess cherry fruit pie. While it was fun, I do prefer the homemade ones. Of course, then I have to make them.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm going to check out those links. I remember my mother buying those hostess turnovers for in our lunches. I loved them.

Ruth Schiffmann said...

These all sound like great links. Hmmm, where to click first?
And national cherry turnover day? I like the sound of that!

Romance Reader said...

Thanks for all the great links. Checking them out now...

Nas

Marcia said...

That turnover looks scrumptious.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Damyanti, you're welcome. Maybe I can use this as an excuse to get an iPad.

Hahaha! Thanks for the laugh, Melissa. I won't psychoanalyze you.

L.G., I really loved that spamming analogy, too.

Alex, you're lucky to have an agent helping you. So many writers I know have to do it all themselves.

Yolanda, join us! The dark side is very sweet :)

S.P., I prefer the homemade ones, too. Plus, they are much better for you.

Susan, I think they graced many lunchboxes.

Ruth, I love food holidays! Any excuse to eat :)

You are welcome, Nas. I hope you enjoyed them.

Marcia, It does look yummy. It made me want to bake.

jaybird said...

Oh, those pies do bring back memories!! Yum.

Thanks for all of those links and tips. I tend to be the most naïve type of writer/person, who doesn't like to believe people don't have your best interest at heart. It drives my husband crazy, because he is the exact opposite, totally paranoid, thinking everyone is out to get you. I guess that's why we make such a great pair, LOL :)

cleemckenziebooks said...

I want a store like that in my town!

Anne R. Allen said...

Thanks so much for the shout-out, Jen! Now my mouth is watering for cherry turnovers...

Small publishers are all over the map. Some are great, like mine and Alex's--and others are toxic. I just got a call from a publicist who's working for a guy published with a small press who do NOTHING for the authors but give them a marketing handbook that's from like 1982. Sad.

Samantha May said...

Thanks for the links!

Cherry turnovers sound so good right now...yum!

Have a great weekend :)

Old Kitty said...

Awwwwwwww! Happy National Cherry Turnover Day! And what a great way to celebrate such a treat!!! Thanks for these thought provoking links!

Take care
x

Jackie said...

Thank you for the links and advice!

I loved those apple turnovers as a kid. So yummy!

Have a great weekend!

Share this: