Monday, August 26, 2013


Express Yourself is a weekly meme hosted by Jackie from Bouquet of Books and Dani from Entertaining Interests. Its goal is to help fellow bloggers get to know one another better, to help motivate one another, laugh (or cry) together, in other words – stalk.

The question for this final week of August is: What is your favorite childhood book or movie?

If I had to pick one book as my favorite, it would have to be The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. This book stands out in my mind because I remember my sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Cleary, reading it out loud to the class everyday after lunch. I'm sure other teachers read other books to me, but this one I remember; she made it come alive! In addition to being a fantastic adventure story, it let me dream that one day I too would find a magic door into another world where I could be a princess. What a wonderful childhood fantasy! 

I still love The Chronicles of Narnia books and movies and have passed my love of them onto my children. Although I have to disagree with Edmund, Turkish Delight is not irresistible. 

Do you have a favorite book or movie from your childhood? What made it memorable for you? 

Want to join the meme?  Click the link below and Express Yourself with us. 

10 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

That was one of my favorite books growing up, too. I've never had turkish delight and I've always wondered what it tasted like and if it was really that good.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Excellent choice, although I didn't read it until I was an adult.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I loved the Narnia books. The Horse and His Boy and Dawn Treader were my favorites.

The Happy Whisk said...

I always went for the yellow hardback Nancy Drew books.

jaybird said...

TO me, anything Lewis wrote was pure gold. Especially Screwtape Letters. LOVE him.

And I agree that Turkish Delight is too sweet for me and my tastes, but my sister is pretty much addicted to it. It's hard to find in the states, but she always seems to have some sitting on her table. :)

Mark Means said...

I used to love the Encyclopedia Brown books when I was a kid. In fact, I enjoyed them so much it made me want to become a private eye when I grew up.

In case you're wondering, no, I didn't become a private eye...but it's never too late :)

Carrie Butler said...

My favorite movie from childhood--aside from the obvious Disney choices--was Short Circuit! :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

S.P., I think we all wondered if Turkish Delight as good as Edmund thought. Trust me, it's not.

Alex, the great thing about Lewis' books is they are perfect for all ages.

L. Diane, the Narnia books are timeless. Dawn Treader is also a favorite of mine.

The Happy Whisk, going on adventures with Nancy Drew was a great way to spend the weekend.

jaybird, I agree, Lewis had the golden touch!

Mark, no, it's never to let to become Encyclopedia Brown ;)

Carrie, I remember Short Circuit. I loved it, too.

Samantha May said...

I love that series! It's one of my favorites. Turkish delights are not my favorite, that's for sure.

Great choice! Mine would have to be Junie B. Jones. Those books are what made me love reading.

Jackie said...

Awesome choice! I loved Narnia, and C.S. Lewis' writings. :D

Share this: