Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Author versus Writer

Recently I revisited an old post on Query Tracker entitled Think Like An Author where the blogger, Danyelle Leafty, suggested that the difference between a writer and an author is *how* one thinks. Which made me ask myself, Am I thinking like and author or a writer? Danyelle states that writers must train themselves to think like authors. She outlines this within four basic parameters:
  • Write with Intent
  • Finding the Discipline Within the Passion
  • Be Willing to Try, to Learn, and to Make Mistakes
  • Be Proud of Your Work
I know I've succeeded in at least two of these parameters; I'm good at trying, learning and making mistakes, and at times I'm also proud of my work. The area I struggle with the most is discipline as I often let the tyranny of the urgent dictate my writing time. In revisiting this article I am recommitting myself to thinking like an author, not a writer. To write with Intent, Discipline and Passion. To be proud of my work not because it pleases someone else but because it pleases me. Since, as Danyelle says: Books that are written by writers who are seeking to please everyone will end up pleasing no one. Those books lose their voice, because they lose the heart of what they were trying to say in the beginning.

You can check out the entire blog post here and hopefully it will help you think more like an author and less like a writer, too.

Former Great Britain. Prime Minister,Benjamin Disraeli, says, The secret of success is constancy to purpose. How do you practice constancy in your craft?

One More Thing...                             

Today is National Creamsicle® Day




A Creamsicle® is a frozen dessert with a vanilla ice cream core and a fruit sherbet coating. The classic Creamsicle® flavor combination is orange and vanilla and eating one is the perfect way to cool down on a hot August day.

If you can't find Creamsicles® in your home town, click here to make your own. You can also enjoy the flavor of a Creamsicle® in cake bites, cookies or a shake. No matter what your fancy there's a way to celebrate National Creamsicle Day!

12 comments:

L.G. Smith said...

Author implies to me someone who's thinking career. Also, it's taken me awhile to understand the importance of being proud of the work, of not belittling it before handing it off to someone to read. It's important to have faith in your writing and know that whatever isn't good enough yet can be fixed. :)

And I'm team fudgesicle. :P

Johanna Garth said...

I like the concept of writing with intent. Even though it's a little vague...intent to finish. Intent to make it good? Not sure yet.

And mmmmm! Creamsicles!

D.G. Hudson said...

I like fudgesicles and creamsicles, but fudgesicles a little bit more.

Consistency, tenacity, and persistence are the words a fellow author (she's published) of writing told me. Well, I'm persistent but not enough. I do practice a lot. I'm already proud of my writing. I'll keep working on it!

S.P. Bowers said...

I had no idea there was a national creamsicle day! Hubby will be so happy!

I've always heard we have to act like we want to become, so getting in an author's mindset is essential if you want to be an author. It's a work in progress but I'm on the journey.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We can't please everyone anyway, so why try? She's right, please ourselves first.
I'll just have to have a Creamsicle today in honor of the holiday!

The Happy Whisk said...

I wanted to comment before but didn't so here goes. Personally, I don't think it matters if I call myself a writer, author, blogger, or food writer. What's important - MOST important to ME - is that I apply ass (or arse), to chair and get the work done.

Show up, get it done, and then go bake something yummy. That's what I say.

J. A. Bennett said...

Yum! I need to get me a creamsicle! I love those thoughts. I call myself an author just for those reasons exactly. Great quote to bring it all together :)

E.D. said...

Good observations - I am definitely (still) just a writer....
I am team gelato :-)

Ruth Schiffmann said...

For me, constancy is that moment each day when I'm getting lost in social media and I remind myself that I have to sign off and do the actual work of writing.

Lexa Cain said...

That makes sense - thanks for the wonderful tips on how to accomplish them. Yay for creamsickles! Yum! :-)

Margo Kelly said...

constancy to purpose ... isn't that perfect thinking? great post - thanks for sharing.

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the synopsis of that post. I can be very critical of my own work, so I have to admit that I'm not good at "being proud" of what I'd done.

I never knew there was such a thing as Nat'l Creamsicle Day!

Btw Jenn, I sent a little note to your personal email. Have you received it?

Share this: