Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Lovin' Bloglovin'!

photo credit: FurFer06 via photopin cc<
Last Wednesday the amazing Alex J. Cavanaugh inquired of his Ninja Army how they followed blogs since the death of Google Reader. Since Alex seems to be able to follow every blog out there I thought I might glean some insight on how he's able to be everywhere in one day... or maybe he's able to be everywhere because he really is a Ninja. Anyway, several of his loyal followers mentioned a website called Bloglovin. I had no idea what it was, and since I was still following blogs the old-fashioned way and feeling like a blogger driving a horse and buggy at a NASCAR race, I decided to check it out.

photo credit: Indiana Stan via photopin cc

After looking around for a bit I was hooked. Bloglovin' allows you to follow any blog you wish, even if you don't have a blog, heart and share the posts you like, search for blogs similar to the ones you're following, and tracks your followers for you.

Now according to the techies you are supposed to be able to import your current Goggle Reader list into Bloglovin' and Voila your done. Well, there was no Voila for me. It was a lot of frustration even though I think I followed all the directions. But, never fear Bloglovin', which reminds me a lot of twitter, is so user friendly that I was able to find my favorite blogs, along with a few others, click on the follow button and Voila I can keep up with all of my favorite blogs by visiting one website as well as group blogs by category so I can read what I'm in the mood for. Which is why I'm lovin' Bloglovin'!

If you would like to save time by having all your blogs organized in one space here's what you need to do:
  • Go to Bloglovin' and sign up.
  • If you have your own blog, claim it.
  • If you're not technically challenged, like me, you can import your blogs from Google Reader by following the instructions here. If you and I are kindred spirits you can add them one at a time. I found clicking on the Similar blogs button helped me find my friends faster.
  • Add the little Follow this blog with bloglovin' button so it's easy to follow you. (My button is to your right if you'd like to follow me.)   
  • Sit back and enjoy! 

What method do you use to keep up with your blogger friends? Is there something even easier than bloglovin?

16 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

Hmm, Maybe I'll have to check this out. I do it the old fashioned way and have never felt like I was missing something but I've seen enough people discussing this that maybe I need to look into it.

T. Drecker said...

I'm going to have to check this out. Lately, I've had the feeling I'm sinking in the blogging sea - *waves* Yes, blogger buddies, I love you but I'm not making it although I try!

If this helps, I'll be SO happy.

Angela Verges said...

This sounds like a good idea. I'll have to give it a try, but I WILL have to do it one slow step at a time (-:

L.G. Smith said...

I use Bloglovin too. I still find it easier to follow people with Google friends connect, though. It's usually faster for me to scroll through my dashboard for posts than to go to another site, but I do use both. And Bloglovin is great for following people who use wordpress or some other blog format.

Stephen Tremp said...

I've been busy with my MS so I haven't been out and about much this summer. But that's usually how I keep up with things. Visiting. And a couple blog rolls on my side bars.

But I'll check out the Bloglovin link.

The Happy Whisk said...

I was going to give Feedly a shot but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

S.P., I hope it works out for you also. I'm excited about being able to visit even more of my blogging friends.

T. Drecker, Maybe this will make us as fast as Ninja Captain Alex!

Angela, one step at a time is exactly how I did it.

L.G., I agree. Bloglovin' makes it easier to post across blog formats.

Stephen, I used to visit blogs the same way as you, but I think Bloglovin' is easier.

The Happy Whisk, I stopped by Feedly first, but, for me, it wasn't as user friendly as Bloglovin'.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad it's working so well for you! I think with Google Reader being gone now that might cause import problems. I'm also signed up with Bloglovin' although I tend to use Feedly instead.

Jennifer said...

I've started using Bloglovin, and I like it. It's nice to be able to see all of the blogs you follow across different platforms (blogger, wordpress, whatever)in one place.

Trisha F said...

Sounds like a good service to use, though I am content with my blog roll that I manually maintain for now.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I have tried the Bloglovin but as I have got so used to Reader found it difficult. I am not one for change, found it hard when chrome took over. I will try it again some day but at the moment have alot going on in my life.

Yvonne.

cleemckenziebooks said...

You did one fabulous job with this, Jenn. I've been putting this off because I didn't want to deal with all of that transferring, downloading, probably destroying all of my blogging history. You gave me exactly what I needed.

Thanks so much.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Alex, that explains a lot. I guess it wasn't just me, this time it was technology.

Jennifer, I agree. It's made blogging much easier.

Yvonne and Trisha, I totally understand. I had to wait until the time was right for me, too.

Thanks, C. Lee! I'm here to help as much as I can.

Elizabeth Hein said...

thanks for the tip. I'll check bloglovin out.

Nancy LaRonda Johnson said...

Thanks for the lowdown. I hadn't looked into bloglovin yet, but will check it out. Writer’s Mark

Christine Rains said...

Thanks for the help! I haven't had time to do much with my blogs since Google Reader went away. I really need to get organized.

Share this: