Monday, July 29, 2013

Getting Back Into the Swing of Things

Photo Pin
In April of 2012 I took the A to Z Challenge to blog every day for a month in ABC order. It was a challenge to someone who blogged about once or twice a year but it was fun and it helped me became a committed blogger. Since then I've been blogging regularly, meeting a lot of new folks, and gaining new followers. Then I made a mistake... I took several weeks off to go on vacation. Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with taking a vacation. They are good for relieving stress, reconnecting with your family, and good old fashioned relaxing. Unfortunately, for me, I still seem to be in the vacation mindset. I want to pretend I don't have deadlines to meet, chores to do, and commitments to keep. I want to still be on vacation where I don't need a clock, a cell-phone or email. I want to be where that rushing sound I hear is wind and not the freeway and when the directions say it's a ten-minute drive it is a ten-minute drive because I don't have to sit in bumper to bumper traffic. But sadly I'm not on vacation anymore I'm home.

Although Home is where the heart is (Pliny the Elder) and It's the place we love the best and grumble the most (Billy Sunday) since coming home I haven't been able to get back into the swing of things. I know there are things to be done, I just think they can be done later. As the old saying goes: Why Do Today What You Can Put Off Until Tomorrow? Which leads me to my question: How do you get back into the swing of things? When you get home from vacation do you hit the ground running or ease into it slowly? Do you let things pile up and just deal with what's urgent or attack it all at once? Do you mark your calendar with your next vacation and dangle it in front of you, like a carrot, to keep you moving forward? Tell me what is your key for getting back into the swing of things?

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I need a day to catch up on stuff - and to recover from my vacation. Since work throws me back in the mix full force, it's usually enough to get me back into everything else.
Glad you're back because we missed you!

L.G. Smith said...

Yeah...I went on vacation at the end of May and I still haven't exactly gotten back into my regular routine yet.

I think once school starts again for my son, I'll get over the summer doldrums and get busy again. Until then, I'm just chillin and writing and making the most of summer. :)

Carrie Butler said...

I rarely take vacations, but I have taken a few blog hiatuses. To help myself ease back in, I usually schedule a few posts ahead of time. :)

Welcome back!

Suzanne Furness said...

Welcome back Jenn, I hope you had a lovely vacation. Easing yourself back in can be hard but I'm sure you'll get there.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks, Alex, I missed everyone, too.

L.G., so it's not just me? It happens to you, too? I hope once summer ends we both get back into the swing of it.

Great idea, Carrie. I'll have to plan further ahead next time.

Thanks, Suzanne. My vacation was wonderful. Easing back into it sounds like a good plan.

Julie Flanders said...

I understand what you mean, I haven't really been able to get back into a regular schedule since taking my vacation in June. I think the blogging world is kind of slow in the summer in general so you are definitely not alone.

It's great to see you back and I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation. :)

Melissa said...

I used to stay on top of things, but now I let it pile up and deal with the most urgent.

I do pre-schedule blog posts, though. Doing that reduces my overall stress and leaves me more time for other stuff. ;)

S.P. Bowers said...

Huh, I don't know. We've never taken a vacation other than going to visit family. That is more stressful than staying home so I'm generally pretty happy to get back into the swing of things. Not to mention two young kids that respond best to schedules and won't let you relax. Maybe I can go on vacation by myself.

Sharon Himsl said...

Welcome back! I let things pile up and tackle the most important. I love the outdoors, so I always make time for gardening and mini trips. I'm also writing a book. I try to commit to so many hours a week, and sometimes use a minute timer to kick start things. But don't be too hard on yourself. Summers are a challenge for everyone!!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Welcome home, Jenn. Hope the routine comes back to you. I think it depends on whether the vacation expanded my brain or shut it down.

Share this: