Monday, July 22, 2013

As  writer I spend quite a bit of time revisiting things I've done before which isn't always fun. As a camper I also spend time revisiting, but it's a lot more fun! This week I'm combing the two and revisiting a sonnet I wrote for the 2012 A to Z Challenge with pictures I took on my second visit to Sequoia. I hope you enjoy them both.

Winding, twisting curving, higher we rise
Searching for the majestic tree giants
We round the bend and in front of our eyes
A land of sequoias stand defiant
Thousands of year grown from one tiny seed
Five of the world’s largest ten trees are here
1890 national park decreed
Discovered by naturalist John Muir
Muir’s famous quote: "In every walk with
Nature one receives far more than he seeks."
In Sequoia you see that is no myth
Black bears, skunks, gray foxes, cascading creeks
Massive Sequoia trees rise from the ground
In this landscape nature’s beauty abounds

Sequoia National Park is a place to visit at least once in your lifetime. Standing next to the largest living tree on the planet, The General Sherman, is exhilarating! The General Sherman is considered to be, by volume, the world's largest tree. It's over 270 feet high, and has a ground base circumference of over 100 feet and the first branch is a full 130 feet from the forest floor.

It's hard to fathom numbers that size with our familiarity to the average tree. To only way to fully appreciate the magnitude of The General Sherman, and the other Giant Sequoias in the park, is to see them for yourself.

What's your favorite National Park? Have you been to Sequoia? We went to Yosemite, too. I'll share about that on Wednesday.

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very nice, Jenn! I went there when I was young. Those trees were really big.

Shell Flower said...

I've not been to Sequoia Nat'l Park, but I can imagine the enormity just because a neighbor has a baby (40yrs tops old) sequoia tree that is already buckling the sidewalk and even the street around it. Your sonnet is lovely.

Olympic National Park is pretty nice, and the one I've probably visited most, but North Cascades National Park is beautiful, too.

Suzanne Furness said...

Oh this reminded me of our trip there 3 years ago. It was magnificent. Thanks for the opportunity to revisit a memory!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yes, Alex, the trees are really big and yet the seeds so small...

Shell, how cool to have a sequoia in your neighborhood! I've never been to either of those parks. I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

You are welcome, Suzanne, it's my pleasure to share the memory.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've never been there. I remember visiting Yellowstone Park when I was 8. It was summer and on our last day there, we woke up to snow. I was in Heaven!

S.P. Bowers said...

That would be a great place to visit. Loved your poem, it began a yearning that will continue until I can get there.

Nicole said...

And now I just want to go visit a National Park! ;) Nicely done.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

L.Diane, we went to Yellowstone a few years ago. It didn't snow, but it was beautiful.

Thank you, S.P., I hope you get there soon. It will be well worth the trip.

Go for it, Nicole! Our National Parks are a treasure everyone should enjoy.

Melissa said...

Wow. Great post. I enjoyed your poetry and hearing about your trip.

One of these days, I want to get an RV and travel the US, seeing the sights. :)

Share this: