Wednesday, June 26, 2013


Last week I attended the book launch for Kristen Kittscher's The Wig in the Window at the amazing Vroman's Bookstore in Pasadena. Established by Andrew Clark Vroman in 1894 it goes without saying they know a little bit about selling books. I could have spent hours wondering around their two-story mega-store getting lost in books. But since I didn't have hours I headed upstairs to the designated book singing area where I found a photo booth, cookies, and a lot of people wearing wigs. My girl and I took pictures in the photo booth, ate cookies, chatted with a few of the children's authors in attendance like: Lisa Yee, Sara Wilson Etienne, and Jennifer Bosworth, before settling down to listen to Ms. Kittscher.

Ying & Yang cookies
Ingrid, Kristen & Sara at the photo booth
My girl and I at the photo booth

My girl & Kristen
Kristen a former middle school teacher, was very comfortable with her audience. She gave a memorable book talk which included a reader's theater that had the standing room only audience exploding with laughter. Kirsten also shared the book trailer and a very funny author interview (both of which you can see below). After the talk ended my girl and I stood in the super long line and after twenty or thirty minutes made it to the table to have our book signed by Kirsten. Before we left we snagged a couple more cookies for the road and a free Wig in the Window spy pen.

Wig_Pen_0
Spy Pen
The Wig in the Window has received rave reviews from Kirkus, Booklist, and a multitude of authors and readers. Even before I got the Facebook invite to this event I had The Wig on the Window in my TBR list. Although I now own the book, it's still on my TBR list because I haven't been able to pull it away from my daughter! I guess I should have purchased two copies.



The Official Book Trailer:

The unofficial author interview:

14 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

Looks like loads of fun! And what a nice event to share with your daughter as well. :)

S.P. Bowers said...

Sounds like fun, and like a great book. Thanks for sharing!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cool you got to hear her speak and got an autograph.
Any cookies left over? Those look good.

Samantha May said...

What cool book! I'm willing to bet that I would really enjoy it, even at 19 :D

Cherie Reich said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time! And those cookies look delicious!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yes, Nick, it was fun. Sharing it with my girl made it double the fun.

S.P., we had a blast! I love going to these events.

Sorry, Alex. I broke my diet and ate two of them because they were that good.

I think you would, Samantha. I'm quite a bit older than 19 and I'm enjoying the book, too.

Cherie, I did and they were!

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Looks like you had a great time. The pics are great and the book sounds brilliant!

Elise Fallson said...

Great pics. Loved the one with you with your daughter! Looks like you all had a great time. (: I'm hungry for a cookie now.... :D

Jo said...

Love the cookies.

Stephen Tremp said...

Good luck.to Kristen and her continuex.success! Ive got.to.get out there to Bromans Bookstore some day. It costs a.bit.of.$$$'for a.self.pubbed author.to.get in there store.bit I think I will take the plunge soon.

randi lee said...

Nice, Jenn! Sounds like it was a really good time!!

cleemckenziebooks said...

I love bookstores like the one you describe! You can stay and stay and never get tired of roaming the aisles. Sounds like a great event.

Nicole said...

What a fun event! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy LaRonda Johnson said...

The book trailer and interview were hecka cute. We could all dream of such success. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and that bookstore does seem great. Writer’s Mark

Share this: