Friday, June 7, 2013

It's the First Friday of June time for another book trailer. This month's feature is The Apothecary by Maile Meloy, illustrated by Ian Schoenherr.

  Apothecary 199x300 Review of the Day: The Apothecary by Maile MeloyOverview: It's 1952 and the Scott family has just moved from Los Angeles to London. Here, fourteen-year-old Janie meets a mysterious apothecary and his son, Benjamin Burrows - a fascinating boy who's not afraid to stand up to authority and dreams of becoming a spy. When Benjamin's father is kidnapped, Janie and Benjamin must uncover the secrets of the apothecary's sacred book, the Pharmacopoeia, in order to find him, all while keeping it out of the hands of their enemies - Russian spies in possession of nuclear weapons. Discovering and testing potions they never believed could exist, Janie and Benjamin embark on a dangerous race to save the apothecary and prevent impending disaster.

My Review: In 2011 my daughter and I attended a Mother/Daughter Book Signing Tea at Flintridge Bookstore and Coffeehouse in La Cañada where we meet Ms. Meloy. We were very impressed by her telling of the story and sharing of the illustrations and book trailer on her iPad. It was the first time either of us had seen an entire book presentation done with an iPad. We thought it was very cool, so of course we bought the book. My girl came home and read it right away and so did I. Recently I had the chance to check this book out from our local library as an audiobook and I fell in love with it all over again.

It has been said that a cover sells the book, I believe that this cover, although beautifully illustrated, does not convey the adventure that is about to unfold in your journey through The Apothecary. Page after page Ms. Meloy does an excellent job of creating worry, the writer's best friend, which kept me turning the page (or in my case popping in the next CD). I was so engrossed in the story I actually folded laundry in the middle of the day just so I could have an excuse to keep listening. If you get a chance pick up Ms. Meloy's The Apothecary in print or audio book. I think you will enjoy the adventure.





Today is also Celebrate the Small Things Blogfest with VikLit over at Scribblings of an Aspiring Author. The rules are simple; think of something that happened to you this week that made you smile, laugh or jump for joy and celebrate with a Friday post on your blog. Go here for full info but in short: sign up on the linky list, celebrate small things of awesomeness with a Friday post, hop around and congratulate others on their celebrations. That's IT!

Today I'm celebrating a not so small thing: ten years ago I stopped teaching to be a full-time Mom. Last month I got a letter informing me that one of my former students selected me as the one teacher she would honor from her entire K-12 school experience. It left me proud, humbled, and speechless. I have very fond memories of this student. She was smart, sweet, kind, and I loved her, like I loved all my tiny first graders. Little did I know that that love would come back to me all these years later. Tonight I will attend a luau where I'll get a chance to reconnect with her. Next Tuesday I get to sit in a coveted seat as her Honor Guard when she graduates from 12th grade. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to pour into the lives of my students and humbled by the fact that one has chosen to give back. Thank you, Lindsey, I look forward to sharing this special day with you and your family.

What are you celebrating this week?

17 comments:

Rebeccah Giltrow said...

That's great news. It's so satisfying when you're a teacher and something like that comes up. You know that you haven't wasted your time.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

A good post and interesting to read.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's awesome you had such an impact on that student. Congratulations!
And that is a really cool and unique book trailer.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you, Rebecca. Teaching is a wonderful profession. It's all the administration, that have often never taught, that makes it more challenging.

Yvonne, glad you enjoyed it.

Alex, thank you. It is wonderful to feel like you made a difference.

Beverly Fox said...

Wow! What a fantastic surprise! It's reassuring to know kids nowadays still appreciate the gifts they're given by great teachers like you.

M. J. Joachim said...

That is so cool! Congratulations!

S.K. Anthony said...

That's a wonderful honor, congratulations :D

VikLit said...

Oh my goodness how satisfying and amazing - congrats to you. You must have really made a difference to her for her to honour you in this way. How lovely!!

michelle said...

Being rewarded a decade later for the impact you made on somebody is definitely a cause for celebration!
Congratulations!
Writer In Transit

Tyrean Martinson said...

That book sounds great - willing to fold laundry during the day to listen more - that's high praise!

Congratulations on being part of your student's Honor Guard - that's wonderful!!! A great teacher makes the impression of a lifetime.

Marcia said...

Oooh, I did this one a little while ago, too. Loved it!

Jo said...

Sounds like a good read.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Lara Lacombe said...

What a lovely gesture from your former student! It's so amazing to know you've made a difference in someone's life! :)

T. Drecker said...

Wow. How wonderful to know you made a difference! Enjoy your honor :)

Vanessa Morgan said...

What an honor that you have changed that student's life. I'm sure you have inspired other people without even knowing it.

Laura said...

That's a great thing to celebrate, it's amazing that she remembered you. Teachers can be a real inspiration, I bet you're thrilled about it :)

Belle said...

The book sounds fascinating and you certainly received a wonderful honor from your former student. I'm so glad you get to see her again!

Share this: