Monday, June 10, 2013

Happy National Iced Tea Day!


When: Always June 10th

With the official start of summer just a few days away, the timing is perfect for National Iced Tea Day.

If it's already hot in your area today may serve as a good reminder to make and enjoy your first (of many) Iced Tea drinks of the season. Have it plain, flavored, add a little lemon, or sweeten it with sugar. Iced Tea is favorite summer cooler of millions of Americans. And best of all, tea is good for your health!

It takes no imagination to decide how to enjoy this great day: Grab an Iced Tea and head out to the hammock strung under a shady tree.

Medicinal value:
Since ancient times, people have believed that tea has a wide range of medicinal uses. Modern research has given credibility to many of these beliefs and identified more In some cases research is not conclusive. Regardless of the final determination as to it's value over time, drink and enjoy because there is no research to suggest that it can hurt you and it just tastes good.
Here are some of the known or suspected medicinal applications:
  • Avoidance of heart disease
  • Cancer and tumors
  • Stomach ailments
  • Sore throats and colds (often flavored with honey)
  • Soothing, relaxing
The Origin of Iced Tea:
In 1904, English tea plantation owner Richard Blechynden set up a booth to sell hot tea at the St. Louis World Fair. It was a sizzler of a day, and fair visitors didn't want anything hot. Rather, they needed something to quench their thirst... something cold. He dumped some of his hot tea into ice and served it cold. It was an immediate hit. This was the first known use of iced tea. The drink became popular when vendors started selling it at public events and the World’s Fair.

Today, people make iced tea using a variety of different flavors. You can also mix iced tea with other beverages. One of the most popular iced tea beverages is an Arnold Palmer, which consists of half iced tea and half lemonade.

Weekly Express Yourself Meme

Dani and Jackie would like to know... What could you eat every day and not grow tired of it?

Being that I pretty much eat the same things everyday, this list is basically a list of things I eat. Since I eat them (almost) daily, I guess I never grow tired of them:
  • Green Salads
  • Chicken: grilled, BBQ, fried... you get the picture
  • Berries in Greek yogurt
  • Chips and salsa
  • Popcorn
  • Cookies, (these I don't eat daily, but would if I could): chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar, etc., etc., etc.,  
I could go on and on about the foods I love, but I'll stop and ask you what could you eat everyday and never grow tired of? 

Want to Express Yourself, too? Join us at the link below:

11 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

As I don't like hot tea it goes without saying I don't like iced tea.
I know plenty of people who do and will pass on it's Iced Tea Day.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Iced tea has only been around a hundred years? Didn't know that. Wonder how long we've been able to make ice and if the two coincided?
I could eat chips and salsa every day!

Regina Gort said...

I am such a sucker for sweet iced tea which I was raised on in the south. you can usually tell where someone was raised by whether or not they like their iced tea sweetened.

Sherry Ellis said...

It's interesting the iced tea has medicinal properties. Happy National Iced Tea Day!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yvonne, I guess you'll have to drink lemonade today.

Alex, great question. You are a deep thinker.

Regina, you are a good ole southern gal. My mom is one, too.

Sherry, it's wonderful when something you enjoy is also good for you.

Laura said...

I've never tried iced tea, though I imagine I'd like it since I love hot tea :)
Mmm cookies everyday would be awesome...

Johanna Garth said...

I'm having a cup of hot tea right now, but when it gets warmer out it'll be iced.

As for me, I could eat berries and nuts each and every day.

Elise Fallson said...

Love making ice tea in the summer. I have mint growing in the garden and I like throwing in a bunch of fresh leaves into the tea when I make it. But ice tea is hard to find here in France unless you make yourself. I've never seen it served in restaurants like they do in the States.

Jo said...

Don't drink iced tea and rarely, although I am an ex pat Brit, drink hot tea. I think of ice tea as being particularly southern although I suppose that isn't absolutely true.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Laura, I hope you get a chance to have glass of iced tea, it's very refreshing on a hot day.

Johanna, I love tea hot and cold but, like you, the weather is the determining factor.

Elise, I didn't know tea was hard to find in France. Yes, it's everywhere in the U.S.A.

Jo, not sure if tea is particularity southern but they are famous for their sweet tea.

Nicole said...

Wait - there's a national day for iced tea? Amazing. :)

Share this: