Monday, June 17, 2013

Eat Your Vegetables

Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon. ~ Doug Larson

In the midst of celebrating National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month, June 17th, Eat Your Vegetables Day, is the perfect opportunity to re-introduce a healthy portion of vegetables into your diet. We all know vegetables are essential for living a long, healthy life, and served right, they can be delicious! On this day you are encouraged to eat vegetables for every meal and as snacks throughout the day. I've found just adding a few extra veggies to salads, scrambled eggs, or main dishes, help you get in your five-a-day without much effort.

Eat Your Vegetables Day doesn't make me as excited as National Crème Brûlée Day or International Bacon Day, because I agree with Doug Larson, we'd be much healthier if green vegetables tasted as good as bacon, but since they don't, I've discovered a few ways to hide or enhance the taste of vegetables. I've also discovered that this isn't necessary when you get them fresh from your neighbor's garden. But since this isn't always an option below are a few of my favorite ways to Eat Your Vegetables and keep your taste buds happy, too.

Today is also Writers 4 Writers Monday hosted by Mary Pax, Christine Raines, C.M. Brown, and Stephen Tremp. Their objective is to use social media to help other writers to succeed.

Congratulations to Marta Szemik This month's spotlighted writer. Hop over to her blog and say hi! Then give her a tweet, shout out on your blog, or Facebook post and help create verbal and viral buzz about Marta.

What are your Monday plans? Are you going to eat more vegetables today? Make a mock apple pie? Buy one of Marta's books?

14 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

Actually I did plan to eat more vegetables today, along with less of everything else.

M.J. Fifield said...

I don't like a lot of veggies, but I do try to make sure I eat plenty of the ones I do like.

And unless donuts count as veggies, I did not have any for breakfast today. I'll try to do better at lunch.

Jo said...

We eat lots of veggies all the time - especially at this time of year when I personally am stuffing myself stupid with asparagus, a very healthy veg.

If you don't like vegetables much, try eating them raw. Most of them taste as good, if not better, without being cooked.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Same here - we eat vegetables all the time, both cooked and raw.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I'm nor keen on veg, goes back to school dinners. but I do eat fruit , packed up cakes and chocolate and only drink water with the exception of an early morning coffee.

Yvonne,

Ellie Garratt said...

That bacon and brussels hash sounds tasty. Yum. Excuse me while I head into down to stock up on my vegetables!

Marta Szemik said...

Yummy, those vegetable recipes sound mouth-watering. Thank you for your support with W4Ws :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm a vegetarian so veggies taste good to me. I snack on them all the time.

Christine Rains said...

I really do need to eat more veggies, but I like so few of them. I had a good colorful portion last night for dinner at least! Thanks for the shout-out for W4WS. :)

Cherie Reich said...

That's a good idea to add more veggies to other meals. I'm a vegetarian, and I still don't eat as many vegetables as I should.

Melissa Sugar said...

Does fruit count? Guess not. I think I will down a V8. Not much of a vegetable eater. Bad, I know!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Love that quote! :)

I don't really have a problem putting veggies in things - we put fresh jalapeños in our scrambled eggs! - and we eat a lot more salad than we used to. :)

Nicole said...

All the veggies in your pic look so fresh and colorful. Wish my garden was that far along already. ;)

Sarah Allen said...

That is such a great quote :)

Sarah Allen
(From Sarah, with Joy)

Share this: