Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Unexpected Encounters

James Scott BellA few weeks back I was sitting at my children's archery class reading a book by James Scott Bell when a daughter of a friend said, "My dad knows him. He's his pastor."  I could not believe my good fortune. I've been reading Mr. Bell's books for the past several months and out of the blue someone I've known for nine years happens to mention that she knows him and proceeds to tell me how I can meet him. Which of course I did and brought along my copy of his best selling book, Plot & Structure. Mr. Bell was warm and personable and when he saw me standing there like a silly school girl holding his book, he kindly offered to sign it.
See...

Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to talk about writing, since he was wearing his pastor hat that evening, but he did offer some sound advice from 2nd Corinthians. If you are a fan of Mr. Bell and would like to hear him speak he will be sharing his writing wisdom at several upcoming events. For me it was just nice meeting him, unexpectedly, and getting my book signed. It was also a gentle reminder to read what you love wherever you are. You never know when a friend might introduce you to the author.

Have you read any books by James Scott Bell? Do you have a favorite? Have you had any unexpected encounters recently?


13 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

Plotting is a weak point for me so I'll have to check this book out.

That's wonderful you were able to meet him.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I didn't know he's a pastor. I love his conflict and suspense book.

Johanna Garth said...

What a cool experience!

Annalisa Crawford said...

How cool!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Enjoyed the post very much.

Yvonne.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Enjoyed the post very much.

Yvonne.

Kyra Lennon said...

That is so cool!

Lynda R Young said...

How great to have met him!
I love The Art of War for Writers. It's brilliant.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

S.P., his plot book helped me quite a bit.

Stina, I'm reading that one now.

Thanks, Johanna, Yvonne, Annalisa, Kyra, it was really cool!

Lynda, I like that book, too.

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

Jenn, I'll have to look that book up and The Art of War for Writers. Thanks!

Marcia said...

The Art of War for Writers is in my top 5 for favorite writing books. What a thrill that you got to meet him.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I haven't read any of his books, but it sounds like maybe I should. Cool experience to have!

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

Wow. How cool was that??? :) It would've been nice to pick his brain a bit but you met him and he signed your book. Win/win! :D

Share this: