Wednesday, May 29, 2013



Thanks to Stephen Tremp, L. Diane Wolfe, Michael Di Gesu, and Alex J. Cavanaugh, for today's Get Healthy Bloghop. These blog masters have teamed up for a Blog Hop that just might help you make 2013 your healthiest year yet!

The Objective: Share something that affected your health in a positive way. It can be something as simple as a tasty low cal recipe, a weight loss tip, or a testimony on how joining Weight Watchers helped you shed unwanted pounds. We’re sure people have countless great tips and ideas they would love to share. You can check out mine below. You can also check out the links below to hop around and see everyone else's tips for Getting Healthy in 2013!

TrekDesk
In writing the mantra for getting your book done is  B.I.C.Keep  your butt in the chair. That is a great tip for writing, but not so great a tip for staying healthy. Consequently, I've had to come up with some healthier tips before I was forced to buy a larger chair. If I had a designated room for writing I might invest in a TrekDesk. But since I don't have an extra $500.00 dollars to spend on a desk, and the TrekDesk would never fit in my writing space, I'll have to postpone this option. However, I have discovered a few other things that I believe will help make 2013 my healthiest year yet.

The first step to Getting Healthy* in 2013 has to be making the decision that being healthy is a lifestyle, not a diet. After losing (and gaining) weight with Weight Waters, Medifast and the old-fashioned starvation technique, I've realized that for permanent results I have to make permanent change.

Next was making smart changes. It's amazing how simple changes like a pledge to move more, setting (and keeping) regular sleeping hours, eating foods that are found in nature, not the microwave, and drinking more water, was not just better for me but made me feel better, too. I've also discovered that not letting myself get to the point of starving keeps me from eating everything in site when the three o'clock munchies monster hits. After a long week of being (mostly) good, I give myself a free-day on the weekend. Looking forward to this makes me less likely to cheat during the week.

If you're looking for added ways to improve your health, below are a few tips that could assist you in your journey to Get Healthy.

My Fitness Pal ~ A diet and fitness community built to provide you with the tools and support you need to achieve your weight loss goals. My Fitness Pal is easy to use and can help you Get Healthy as long as you are honest with yourself and track everything you eat.

Couch to 5K ~ A program created in 1996 by runner Josh Clark to get even the biggest couch potato up and running. I've added the app to my phone and this week marks the beginning of my journey from couch to 5K. Since no one likes to suffer... er... have success alone, I've included my hubby in this challenge, too. He's so happy he's speechless.

The 17 Day Diet ~ A couple in my neighborhood loss over thirty pounds each using this doctor created 17 day cycle. It works, but you have to be very disciplined. Like most exercise programs having a partner to keep you on track helps, which may explain their success. Although I couldn't stay true to this program, my neighbors did and have kept their weight off for almost a year.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my thoughts on Getting Healthy. Before you go please share any tips you use to stay healthy. Do you have the million dollar secret to prevent weight-gain? Are you excited about this Blog Hop? How do you keep your B.I.C. without needing a larger chair?

*Just in case you weren't sure, I'm a blogger, not a doctor. Please be sure to discuss any health or lifestyle decisions with your personal physician and don't just take my word for it. 

There's a lot more to learn about Getting Healthy so hop around and check out what others are saying...

36 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

I haven't had the space or money for a tread desk either so instead I got a desk cycle. It was only $50. and so far I've really enjoyed it. It allows me to keep my muscles moving even when I'm sitting at the desk for extended periods of time.

Laura said...

It's so true that being healthy is a lifestyle, not something you do every now and then. I always try to be healthy, and then let myself have treats every now and then.

Suzanne Furness said...

Agree staying healthy is about lifestyle not faddy diets and get slim quick diets. A tread desk? Don't think I've come across these before!

Stay healthy be happy :)

Denise Covey said...

Thanks for sharing so many tips. I will look into them.

Marta Szemik said...

The couch to 5K sounds very interesting. I may try it out:)

Louise Bates said...

Whoa, that TrekDesk looks intense! I think I'd have some problems, though ... as soon as I got thinking really hard about a knotty plot point, I'd forget to keep walking, and whoops! There I'd go.

I've tried the Couch to 5K a few times, and really like the concept, but I've never been able to sustain it. Probably because I don't have a running partner! Good luck to you and your husband.

Laura Eno said...

The cheat day makes a world of difference to me, since I cut most carbs from my diet. While I can't say that would be healthy for most people, I love pasta and my body was converting the carbs to sugar. Not good.
I'd love to have that trek desk! And I had to laugh at your comment regarding your husband being speechless from happiness. ;)

Jo said...

All great advice, will check out some of your links later.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm glad you mentioned sleep. Its so important to rest and rest well. I have to force myself to take a Sabboth one day a week and just rest and relax. Usually this is Saturday or Sunday.

M. J. Joachim said...

Making a choice and a lifestyle change - definitely the way to go for a healthier lifestyle.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks, S.P.. I didn't know there was a desk cycle. I need to look into it and it's so much more affordable.

Laura, I like your staying healthy philosophy.

Thank you, Suzanne. I will give it my best shot.

My pleasure, Denise. I hope you find something that works for you.

Marta, since I'm not a runner. I hope I can survive it.

Hahaha, Louise, I worry about falling off, too. I think having a partner makes a big difference.

Glad to make you laugh, Laura. I've heard that laughing burns 1.3 calories a minute.

Thanks for stopping by, Jo. Enjoy the links.

Stephen, as adults I think we forget how important sleep is. In addition to regular sleeping hours, I take cat naps as often as I can.

M.J., over the years I've learned there is no short cut to staying healthy. It has to become a lifestyle.

Julie Luek said...

One of my favorite writers, Michael Perry, recently wrote about building his own trek desk. He has lost 13 pounds since using it-- changing nothing else. I think that looks amazing. Yeah, we gotta get our butts out of the chair!

Annalisa Crawford said...

That desk looks interesting, but I'm sure I'd forget to write while I concentrated on walking... I am not a good multi-tasker :-)

Karen Walker said...

Very cool - gotta get out of the chair - I do exercise, but I think I need to get up even more during the day!

Morgan said...

What a wonderful fest! Such a great idea. It's especially important for us writers to be healthy... we do a lot of sitting!!!

Tara Tyler said...

permanent healthy changes in lifestyle is the way to go!
i love that desk, but i wonder if i would write less because i would aviod the exercise & feel guilty if i didnt use it while writing!

and i displayed my happy award monday. thanks again!

Johanna Garth said...

The sleeping piece is huge. I notice I crave sugar and salt when I'm not well-rested.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Thanks for sharing these tips. I drink lots of water and make sure that I move around a lot throughout the day to burn the extra calories I consume.

Lydia Kang said...

The treadmill desk is so brilliant! I wish lots of offices had them. :)

S.K. Anthony said...

I'm a member of My Fitness Pal and also own the App for the couch to 5k and I agree they are great ;)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The permanent changes are smarter, because you won't just revert back when the diet ends.
That desk would be really cool though.

Susanne Drazic said...

That TrekDesk looks so cool. Great tips. Thanks for sharing them.

Mark Means said...

I used to use My Fitness Pal quite a bit, but stopped counting calories, so I don't go there as often as I used to.

I wouldn't mind having a desk like that, for sure :)

Beverly Fox said...

Hey Jenn! Thanks so much for your comment, I'm delighted to meet you!

The trek desk, while a good idea, would not work for me as I'm prone to migraines and text moving up and down as I walk would start one quickly.

But I have used couch to 5k and loved it. There's a billion little apps on the phone that are so easy to access (cause when do you not have your phone with you) and cost a nominal fee (like 99 cents).

Thanks for these tips!

Jennifer Lane said...

Good luck on Coach to 5K! I've heard good things about that program, and I hope you stay injury-free.

That trek desk is only $500? I thought it would be more than that. Keeping my butt in my chair for my psychology and writing careers has indeed made my butt grow! :-( I do pretty well with the exercise thing but my desire for sweets is massive.

Suzanne said...

LOL at your husband being speechless! I can just imagine what mine would say, and I couldn't type it on here!
Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Jenn,

THanks so Much for your POST...

I LOVE the idea of the trek desk, but I don't know if I could bop and read/work without getting motion sickness. SO not a option for me.

The aids you listed are fantastic and can really help those who need a guiding hand.

sydneyaaliyah.com said...

I really want that desk, but 500.00 is pretty steep. I have done Couch to 5K and it was great. It took me a few starts and stops, but I have done it all the way through, once.

Pat Hatt said...

Never even heard of a tread desk, need space thoguh and the dough.

shelly said...

Excellent tips!

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Nancy LaRonda Johnson said...

Thanks for the tips. I'm checking out the couch to 5k. I wish they'd make a cycle desk - makes more sense than trying to run and write. Writer’s Mark

Lynda R Young said...

lol I thought the trek desk was a joke at first. So funny!! And yet so appealing... ;)

Ella said...

These were great! Thank you...
Off to check out your links :D

loverofwords said...

How do you focus and use the Trek Desk? It would be hard for me, not good at multi- tasking but your tips are helpful. When we sit at the computer for long periods of time, it's not good.

Marcia said...

I have to make myself exercise. I recently read the book about the 5:2 diet (it's really not a diet per se) and it's slowly working. But I figure gradual and steady is the way to go.

randi lee said...

Being healthy most certainly is a lifestyle choice! You have me thinking twice about all of the soda I drink, now!

Share this: