Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Give Oklahoma a Helping Hand


Magical Mystical Mimi had this image up for her wordless Wednesday post last week. Although I'm not sure how willing I'd be to shake a hand doorknob, since I fear it might pull me into the underworld and leave me there, I think it's the perfect image for my post today. On most Wednesdays I share something related to writing, but today I feel the need to ask you to give Oklahoma a helping hand.

As a California resident all my life, and having lived in the San Fernando Valley during the 1994 earthquake, nothing prepares you for the challenges ahead of you in the days after the disaster. In an instant your life is flipped upside down. The everyday things you take for granted like getting a drink of water, a bite to eat from the refrigerator, or just a trip to the grocery store, are all gone. Oklahoma has a long road ahead of them and they will need a lot of help. Please consider helping them in whatever way you feel comfortable with. Whether it's donating money, time, or simply saying a quiet heartfelt prayer, please give Oklahoma a helping hand. They may never know it was you, but you will know you helped and in the words of Audrey Hepburn...

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.

*Ways you can help:                                                                         


*I am not affiliated with any of these charities. Feel free to do your own research before you donate. Often, if a charity's website has the Better Business Bureau seal of accreditation, you're safe. Also, beware of fake solicitations for donations.The safest way to donate is to contact a charity or organization on your own. In times of immediate disaster relief, cash is critical.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.


22 comments:

Laura said...

Disasters like this always put things in perspective - a lot of people moan about the weather here in Britain, but I'm grateful for the lack of extreme weather.
My thoughts and prayers go to everyone in Oklahoma.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We gave to the Red Cross.
Considering the size of the tornado, it's a miracle more weren't killed.

Trisha F said...

I heard the tornado was maybe the biggest on record?? So scary!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Very true, Laura.

I agree, Alex, it was a miracle.

Trisha, it was quite big, but sadly I think the 1925 tri-state one was even bigger.

jaybird said...

Whenever I pause for a minute and think about what happened there, I burst into tears. They have my prayers and support.

randi lee said...

Thank you for posting these resources, Jenn. I will definitely take you up on lending a helping hand.

Also, 3 Ups is a go! Your "Upee" is Carol Kilgore over at http://underthetikihut.blogspot.com/

No need to rush in giving her your Ups. Whenever you can is fine :D

shelly said...

Excellent!

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Stephen Tremp said...

So much suffering in the world. Thanks for the links. We support the Red Cross.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

That quote was so touching. Great that you're getting the word out about this crisis.

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

In the face of this heartbreaking tragedy I humbly thank you for the mention.. You have put this photo to far greater use than I. I have donated and will continue to do so. - Excellent post Jenn. God bless you.. <3

nutschell said...

great post Jenn. My heart goes out to the tornado victims.
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

michelle said...

This was unbelievably sad...
I often donate old clothes to The Salvation Army...

Writer In Transit

Sherry Ellis said...

Thanks for posting this. I gave to the Red Cross.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

We here in the UK always seem to moan about our weather but it do put things into perspective, how terrifying it must have been in Oklahoma I gave to the Red Cross at our shopping centre,

Yvonne.

Editors At Work said...

It was so scary and terrifying. At this time we see how humanity comes together to help each other.

Nas

Mark Means said...

We're donating to the Red Cross and thank you for highlighting this.

Also, love that quote from Audrey Hepburn.

Sharon Himsl said...

Good post. My brother in law and wife in Edmonds, OK spent 4 hours huddled in a bathroom during the tornado. Their storm cellar was rusted shut. Gave the family quite a scare.

BTW I nominated you for the Sunshine Award over at my blog. Come take a look!

Belle said...

Thanks for the information on where to give. I feel so bad for the people who have suffered. You are right, we never know when this may happen in our town. God bless.

Gina Gao said...

This is a great post. I already donated to the Red Cross.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Jo said...

I have just nominated you for the Bloggers Sisterhood award. Check my blog for May 25.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Scribbles From Jenn said...

jaybird, mine, too.

Thank you, randi lee. The more helping hands, the better.

Thank you, Shelly.

Stephen, thank you for giving some relief to the suffering through the Red Cross.

Thank you, Sheena-Kay. Together we make things better

Thank you for the kind words, Mimi. I am grateful to be able to help.

Thanks, Nutschell. My heart breaks for them, too.

Thanks for your support, Michelle. With so much loss, there is so much need.

You are welcome, Sherry. Thanks for your support.

Yvonne, disasters do remind us of what's really important. Thanks for your support.

Editors At Work, I agree with you completely; we get to see humankind at its best.

Thank you for your support, Mark. I love this quote, too.

Sharon, I am happy to hear your Oklahoma family is safe. Reminder for me to check my earthquake supplies. Thanks for the Award.

I am happy to provide the information, Belle. Thank you for your support.

Jo, thanks for the award. I'll check it out.

Old Kitty said...

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected in Oklahoma. Just saw a wonderful clip where this poor grandma is being interviewed infront of her wrecked house only for the interviewer to spot the woman's dog under some rubble!! That was lovely and hopeful!

Take care
x

Share this: