Monday, April 8, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that I think is the perfect cookie companion along with a few fun facts about the cookie and/or ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

German Chocolate Cookies                     

If you are a fan of German Chocolate Cake, then you will be a fan of the German Chocolate Cookie. The recipe called for chocolate cake mix, which probably would have made the cookie a bit darker and richer, but I had German Chocolate cake mix and used it instead. I'm not sure how the cookie tastes with the  chocolate cake mix, but the German Chocolate mix was Amazing! The plain cookie is okay, but when you top it with the frosting you get the authentic German Chocolate taste...delicious! These cookies will only be made when I have someone to share them with because they are so good, I don't trust myself to not eat the entire batch.

Fun Facts –The first published recipe for German's chocolate cake showed up in a Dallas newspaper in 1957 and came from a Texas homemaker. The cake quickly gained popularity and its recipe together with the mouth-watering photos were spread all over the country. Contary to popular belief the German Chocolate Cake was not brought to the American Midwest by German immigrants. The cake took its name from an American with the last name of  "German."  In most recipes and products today, the apostrophe and the "s" have been dropped, thus giving the false hint as for the chocolate's origin.

Book Buddy  – The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. I love that there is a G in the title and in the name of the author. I also loved this book, even though I didn't intend too. I like the originality of the story; I mean have you read another book about a boy being raised by ghosts in a graveyard? Me either.

Bod is an unusual boy who inhabits an unusual place-he's the only living resident of a graveyard. Raised from infancy by the ghosts, werewolves, and other cemetery denizens, Bod has learned the antiquated customs of his guardians' time as well as their timely ghostly teachings-like the ability to Fade. Can a boy raised by ghosts face the wonders and terrors of the worlds of both the living and the dead? 

25 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

My these look yummy, love chocolate cookies.

Yvonne.

Brandon Ax said...

That is cool I never knew that about German chocolate cake. Those look amazing.

Trisha Leaver said...

Fellow a-z challenger stopping in to wave hello. Perfect -- my son has a bake sale tomorrow as school and now I have a new recipe to try!

Trisha F said...

Yeah, I would totally give those cookies a go! They look pretty delicious!

Suzi said...

The Graveyard Book is on my to read list. I really need to get to that one, I've heard so many good things.

Al Diaz said...

I don't like chocolate but those cookies you have here look really yummy.

Nick Wilford said...

This is the second post I've seen today mentioning that book! I'll have to get it.

Julie Flanders said...

I have to read this book, love the premise!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I didn't know it was an American creation!

Sania Heba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scribbles From Jenn said...

They are Yvonne!

Brandon, I'm learning a lot of food history during this challenge, too.

Trisha L., you have great timing!

Trisha F., they taste as good as they look.

Suzi, it's a great as an audiobook, too.

Al, they are very chocolaty, so they might not work for you.

Get the book, Nick, you won't be sorry.

It's a great read Julie. I enjoyed it without even though I didn't think I would.

Sania Heba said...

Had a problem with the link in the above comment. ;p

Those cookies look fab. And the book looks "delicious" too. Have to try both.

Sania at Embracing Dawn

Me said...

Now I am craving for someeee... :)

- A fellow blogger from A to Z!

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Now those cookies look yummy. They'll go great with a coffee and Neil Gaiman's Graveyard book.

Dana said...

Do those cookies look good!

Cathy said...

What an absolutely adorable theme for the A-Z--cookies and books, and children's books at that. I'll be following your posts, and am your newest follower!

S.P. Bowers said...

I loved The Graveyard Book.

For a long time as a child I wouldn't eat german chocolate cake because I thought all he coconut looked like little worms. I love coconut now.

Julie Luek said...

This is a tough post to read when I'm trying to avoid sugar! Yummo.

Cathrina Constantine said...

I am a cookie fanatic!! Especially homemade!!Looking delectable.

Mark Means said...

Count me in as one of the people who thought the Germans brought it over.

Great trivia, thanks!

Joy said...

Cake and cookie - another perfect combo.

Elise Fallson said...

You do realize I'm going to put on weight by just visiting your blog during AZ! Because it simply can't be the handful of chocolate chips I just ate. No. Can't be. (;

Regina Gort said...

Love Gaiman! Love this book and can't wait to try these cookies!

Tia Bach said...

What about chocolate and coconut could possibly go wrong? ;-)

G = Gratifying vs Grating Grammar

Ruth Schiffmann said...

These cookies look/sound amazing! I must make them =D

Share this: