Saturday, April 6, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme –  I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that I think is the perfect cookie companion along with a few fun facts about the cookie and/or ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Fluffernutter Cookies                         

My Review – If you like peanut butter and marshmallow creme (the West Coast version of Fluffernutter, though my East Coast friends might disagree)  you'll like this cookie. It is incredibly light, super easy to make and takes mere minutes to prep. This recipe is practically a fail safe for Jr. cookie bakers. Plus, they look fantastic! Add a glass of milk and Fluffernutter Cookies make the perfect after school cookie treat.

Fun Facts – Fluffernutter is the ingenious creation of the Durkee-Mower, Inc., who, in an effort to push their Fluff confection, chose to challenge the long standing companion of peanut butter, jelly, by replacing it with Fluff. Hopefully, giving sweet-and-salty sandwich lovers another option. The result? Success!

Since 1961 this sticky combination has been satisfying snack cravings, as well as becoming a formidable competitor to the traditional PB&J. Largely an east coast cuisine, Fluff gained notoriety in 2006 when a Massachusetts senator attempted to ban it as part of the battle of the bulge. Instead, public support for the Fluffernutter rose, eventually resulting in it being named the state sandwich in 2012.

Book Buddy –  False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1)In a faraway land, civil war is brewing. To unify the kingdom's divided people, a nobleman named Conner devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him on the throne. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant and clever boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point — he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. His rivals will be devising their own plots as well, so Sage must trust no one and keep his thoughts hidden.

Are you a Fluffernutter fan? Do you think you could be? Have you ever heard of a cookie recipe with less than three ingredients?


13 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I love the name and look of thise cookies. wonderful post.

Enjoy your week-end.

Yvonne.

S.P. Bowers said...

I've never had a fluffernutter before, I may have to try one. Have a great weekend.

Nick Wilford said...

Never heard of it but I think it's the best name for a cookie ever!

Sally said...

What a great name.

Elizabeth Hein said...

I grew up in Central Massachusetts so Fluffernutter sandwichs were a staple of my childhood. My mom would toast Italian bread then slater on natural peanut butter and Fluff. If we were lucky, she added a shmear of Nutella too. It was like eating a candy sandwich and best accompanied with lemonade. The best thing about a Fluffernutter sandwich is that it travels in a lunchbox well. Jelly can make the bread soggy.
Thanks for eliciting the memory. Great post for F.

Regina Gort said...

Oh those sound sinful! And I've never read The False Prince so another one to add to the read pile.

Dana said...

I love those cookies!

Samantha May said...

I've never had one, but peanut butter and marshmallow? YUM!

Also, that's a phenomenal name for a cookie. Have a great weekend :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

They sound good! I've never heard of them, so can't disagree just because I am on the east coast.

Julie Flanders said...

Oh my gosh, peanut butter and marshmallow sounds like heaven to me. And I love the name of the cookie! :)

Lexie C. said...

Wow, I think we'll have to try these out! :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks everyone! Reading your comments makes me want to bake another batch of Fluffernutter cookies :D

Tammy Theriault said...

interesting because my dad makes this for the grandkids all the time...but it's the sandwich not the cookies!

Share this: