Friday, April 5, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that I think is the perfect cookie companion along with a few fun facts about the cookie and/or ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Eggless Pecan Cookies                          
My Review – Although I normally prefer my pecans in a pie, these Eggless Pecan Cookies are a tasty alternative to a whole pie. This cookie is also known as the Mexican Wedding Cake or Russian Tea Cake, even though they aren't actually cakes, and Italian Wedding Cookies. They can be made into balls or shaped as shown. Eggless Pecan Cookies are commonly served at Christmas time and through the winter months.  However, these nutty, buttery sugary cookies can be consumed and enjoyed at any time of the year. Like in the month of April, during the A to Z Challenge.

Fun Facts–The name pecan is an Algonquin word meaning a tough nut to crack.(Hmm, I know some people like this.) The term pecans first appeared in print in 1773. George Washington planted pecan trees at Mount Vernon, a gift from Thomas Jefferson who is credited with their initial popularity in the South. Pecan trees range in height from 70 to 100 feet but sometimes grow to 150 feet or more. Native pecan trees - those over 150 years old - have trunks more than 3 feet in diameter. Astronauts took pecans to the moon in two Apollo space missions.

Book BuddyElla Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella EnchantedAt birth, Ella is inadvertently cursed by an imprudent young fairy named Lucinda, who bestows on her the "gift" of obedience. Anything anyone tells her to do, Ella must obey. Another girl might have been cowed by this affliction, but not feisty Ella: "Instead of making me docile, Lucinda's curse made a rebel of me. Or perhaps I was that way naturally."



What's your favorite way to eat pecans? Do you prefer them over walnuts? Do you even eat nuts?

21 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

Pecans over walnuts any day! I have a fabulous pecan cookie recipe but I can't wait to try this one.

Ghadeer said...

Same here- pecans > walnuts!

John Ivory said...

I love your idea to feature a cookie each day of the A-Z Challenge. I have a bit of a sweet tooth so I may just have to check back each day to see what you write about!

Keep up the good work :-)

John at The View From Ivory's Tower

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Eating them as cookies would mean eating less of them if you wanted.

Regina Gort said...

I can't wait to try this recipe out.

Laura Marcella said...

Hello, Jenn! Last night I made spicy pecan pork sandwiches. SO delicious!

Ella Enchanted was one of my favorites when I was a kid! I haven't read it in a while. I think it's time for a re-read soon!

Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

C. Lee McKenzie said...




I loved the story behind the word pecan. And I too know a few of those types. Pecan Pie is a favorite and I have a killer recipe. I'm a nut about nuts. Highly portable and healthy.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Haven't heard of this one but it must be worth a try,

Yvonne.

Mark Means said...

Not a huge fan of the pecan, but it's interesting to know where the name came from.

Those cookies look pretty good, though....

Scribbles From Jenn said...

S.P. & Ghadeer, hooray more pecan fans!

Do come back John. I have a lot more cookies for your sweet tooth.

Alex, I like the way you think.

Regina, I hope you enjoy the cookies as much as we did.

Laura, I need to locate that recipe. Pork and pecans are two of my favorite foods.

C. Lee, I'm nuts about nuts, too.

Yvonne, I think you'll enjoy them.

Mark, I love discovering new facts! The cookies are good, too.

Julie Flanders said...

This is such a creative theme, I love it! I went back through your first few posts and I think the Brazilian Coffee cookies are my favorite, they sound fantastic!

Looking forward to reading more. :)

Brandon Ax said...

OH man I love pecans. I remember being a kid and my great grandmother having us go pick them up in grocery bags from where they fell off the tree and then she would make a pie. I will have to try out those cookies they sound tasty.

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day always nice to have visitors :).

Lexie C. said...

I love pecans! I love them baked with brown sugar and a little spice.

Looks like a yummy recipe :)

Lisa said...

Pecans over walnuts any day!! Fun post!!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Eggless! That appeals to this vegan.

Marcia said...

Pecans!

I love seeing everyone's theme for A-Z.

Jessica Peterson said...

What an adorable idea for a them.

Have fun with a-z.

D.G. Hudson said...

Almost anything goes with pecans.

Empty Nest Insider said...

Interesting facts about pecans! I never realized that they were popular space snacks.

Julie

VikLit said...

I really enjoyed the Ella movie but I might have to read the book too now ;)

Misha Gericke said...

That German Chocolate cookies look divine!

Thanks for sharing!

Share this: