Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that I think is the perfect cookie companion along with a few fun facts about the cookie and/or ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Chocolate Chip  Cookies                       

My Review –I played with the thought of not posting a chocolate chip cookie for the letter C, but chocolate chip is the ultimate cookie and some traditions must be retained. Falling back on a long time favorite, I'm sharing Mrs. Fields Kids Bake 'Em Chocolate Chip Cookie and I did just that; I let my kids bake them. Besides being super yummy, they are also nut, milk and egg free, for folks who have allergies to those food items.

Fun Facts – The chocolate chip cookie was invented when baker Ruth Wakefield, a graduate of the Framingham State Normal School Department of Household Arts, and a dietitian who lectured on food, was baking cookies for the guests of the Toll House Inn (owned by her and her husband) decided to add chocolate to her traditional Butter Drop Do cookies. The recipe called for the use of baker's chocolate but on this day Ruth found herself without the needed ingredient. She substituted a semi-sweet chocolate bar cut up into bits. However, unlike the baker's chocolate the chopped up chocolate bar did not melt completely, the small pieces only softened, thus creating the first chocolate chip cookie.

Book Buddy – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl. What else would you read when eating chocolate chip cookies? Well, I guess you could also read A Chocolate Moose for Dinner by Fred Gwynne. But Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is longer which means you could eat more cookies.

Willy Wonka's famous chocolate factory is opening at last! But only five lucky children will be allowed inside. And the winners are: Augustus Gloop, an enormously fat boy whose hobby is eating; Veruca Salt, a spoiled-rotten brat whose parents are wrapped around her little finger; Violet Beauregarde, a dim-witted gum-chewer with the fastest jaws around; Mike Teavee, a toy pistol-toting gangster-in-training who is obsessed with television; and Charlie Bucket, Our Hero, a boy who is honest and kind, brave and true, and good and ready for the wildest time of his life!

Do you prefer chocolate, chocolate chips or white? Personally, I love them both. Have you read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Seen the movie? Which actor do you prefer playing the part of Willy Wonka, Gene Wilder (1971) or Johnny Depp (2005)?

First Wed of Every MonthToday is also the first Wednesday of the month where I, along with a bunch of other writers whom you can visit here, share our writing insecurities. The Insecure Writer's Support Group, founded by Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh, is a place where writers can gather to vent their frustrations or share their hopes, dreams, and fears.  This is a safe and supportive place for writers, so feel free to join in. The co-hosts this month are Annalisa Crawford, Julie Luek, and Elsie.  Thanks for helping out the Ninja Captain. Good luck with your co-hosting duties!

With the A to Z Challenge in full-swing the only fear I have is making it all the way to Z. How about you? What's on your mind this month?

22 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

Chocolate chip are classic! And bless you! An egg, and dairy free chocolate chip recipe? (provided I can find milk free chocolate, and I can) My son will love you, I haven't made him cookies in over a year.

KatieO said...

Chocolate chip cookies are my favs, except the kids love the raw batter even more.

And although I love Johnny Depp, no one can replace Gene Wilder. Not even Depp.

Jamie Gibbs said...

Mmm chocolate chip cookies - good choice!

I much prefer the 1971 Willy Wonka movie - it's got much more of the whimsy and childish innocence; the Burton remake is a touch more sinister.

Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom
www.mithrilwisdom.com

Laura said...

Mmm chocolate chip cookies, yum! And a great book to read with them :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I didn't know that about chocolate chip cookies. That's a cool fact. Thanks!

I haven't seen too many IWSG posts. I thought it was cancelled for the month because of the AtoZ challenge.

Ghadeer said...

"I played with the thought of not posting a chocolate chip cookie for the letter C"
Nope, that would not have been a good idea! Once again, perfect reading choice :)

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Thanks for choosing my favourite Chocolate cookies.

Yvonne.

Regina Gort said...

What a great pairing! Really think you have a knack for it.

Angela Verges said...

There's something special about warm chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk...mmmm.

Thanks for the fun facts.

Melanie Schulz said...

I must have been feeling your vibe today because I made these cookies close cousin-chocolate chip pancakes.

Nicole said...

Let's just say...Yum! :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hooray, S.P., I'm glad this recipe will work for your son :D

Katie, that's the beauty of this recipe, you can eat the dough!

Thanks, Jamie. The 1971 version is much more kid friendly.

Thanks, Laura. I thought so, too.

Stina, IWSG is still on but some may be taking this month off. Glad you liked the facts.

Thanks, Ghadeer, I aim to please.

You are welcome, Yvonne. With all these cookies I hope to find everyone's favorite.

Thanks, Regina. I put a lot of thought into the book choices. I'm glad they're working for you.

You are welcome, Angela. One can never go wrong with chocolate chip cookies and milk.

Melanie, glad you caught the vibes!

Nicole, YUM!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So Toll House not only makes the best, they made the first?
I hope I survive April as well!!!

martine said...

will definitely be calling back here for more.
thanks for sharing
martine

Julie Luek said...

I've had such fun visiting new blogs today. I may even volunteer again... someday.

Now on to cookies. I love Chocolate Chip-- my favorite, especially when they're gooey and warm from the oven and I have a cold glass of milk. Oh my. I'm craving them now. And good book to go along with them too!

Mark Means said...

Those look delicious and sound like they're not that bad for you...hoping, at least :)

I hear you on finishing, but you can do it..we're all in this together and if I can do it, so can you.

Samantha May said...

I just love chocolate chip cookies. Love. Them.

They are by far my favorite. Thanks for the recipe!

Lexie C. said...

Great post :) I fear (not) making it to Z too!
Chocolate chip cookies with milk chocolate chips and walnuts are my favorite cookies of all time!
We just bought a copy of the 1971 movie, cause I just love it but I was really impressed with the remake too!

Al Diaz said...

I would have the cookies without the chocolate.
It is only the third day of April and I'm already tired. I fear I was not nearly ready enough for this challenge.

Julia King said...

Mmmmm. I love chocolate chip cookies. I like your idea for the A-Z Challenge.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I never realized dates were so versatile. My mom always made pin wheels. I never liked them. Maybe I should give them another try!

Neat theme!

Connie Gruning said...

I always wondered who invented Choc chip cookies. I love her invention!
Connie
Checkin' in from the A to Z Challenge.
Peanut Butter and Whine

Share this: