Monday, April 29, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Yogurt (Greek) Cookies                     
My Review – I love Greek Yogurt and figured I couldn't go wrong with these Greek Yogurt Cookies and I was right. They were so light and fluffy that I'd gobbled down three (or was it four?) before I even realized it. They were a hit with the family, too.

Fun Facts – Called “yiaourti” in its native country, Greek Yogurt has been produced in Greece for hundreds of years. Traditionally, Greek Yogurt may be made from either ewe’s milk or cow’s milk, though cow’s milk is most commonly found in brands sold in the United States. Its thick and creamy texture, created by straining or boiling away excess liquid, defines it from other types of yogurt. The lower water and higher fat content of this yogurt variety make it less likely to curdle when heated. It is typically higher in protein, lower in lactose, and lower in carbohydrates than other types of yogurt.
These unique traits make Greek Yogurt uniquely beneficial. Not only is it useful as a cooking ingredient and substitute for other less healthful foods, it is delicious and offers a more appealing texture.

Book Buddy A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck

The worst part of the "Roosevelt Recession" in 1937 is that Mary Alice has to spend a year in a rural town with her feisty and conniving Grandma Dowdel. After enduring many outrageous schemes, Mary Alice eventually learns to appreciate her grandmother's wisdom and her ways. 





Are you a fan of Greek Yogurt? Richard Peck? Looking forward to the end of this challenge?

9 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Another great Yummy, good Y post,

Yvonne.

Brandon Ax said...

I love Greek yogurt as well it is good to hear the cookie turned out well.

Ghadeer said...

I'd like to try Yogurt Cookies, sounds interesting!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yogurt cookies - I had no idea.

jaybird said...

Oh, if they are made from yogurt does that mean they are good for you and I can somehow justify eating a ton of them? LOL. :)

Angela Verges said...

I just started eating Greek Yogurt. I'll have to make it a point to try the cookies.

Nancy Jardine said...

The cookies do sound very tasty! Nancy at Welcome to she said, he said


Mark Means said...

We've just 'discovered' Greek yogurt in trying to eat more healthy and had no idea you could make cookies from them....hmmmm...

...that healthy eating may get sidelined for a day, or two :)

Anna said...

Hi Jenn,
I'm going backwards through your alphabet! Fun recipes and book reviews! Yummy idea for A to Z.

I see that you write about classic books for children. Do you write for children?
Anna
oxox

Share this: