Saturday, April 27, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE –  if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Xiaodianxin饼干 (Chinese for cookie) 
photopin.com
My Review – Xiaodianxin is cookie in Chinese, so I found a recipe for  Chinese Almond Cookies. I'm not sure if they are actually a traditional Chinese cookie, but I love eating them.

Fun Facts – The history of the Chinese almond cookie is unclear. Like chop suey and fortune cookies, it appears to have originated after the first wave of Chinese immigration to the U.S. in the mid-1800s.  There is no record of almond cookies prior to the early 1900s.

Some say the Chinese almond cookie is adapted from the Chinese walnut cookie, a plain cookie with a walnut in the center, which was thought to bring good luck. Also called an almond biscuit or almond cake, today it is found in bakeries in Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China, as well as Chinatowns in cities worldwide.

Book Buddy – Xenocide by Orson Scott Card

The war for survival of the planet Lusitania will be fought in the hearts of a child named Gloriously Bright. On Lusitania, Ender found a world where humans and pequininos and the Hive Queen could all live together; where three very different intelligent species could find common ground at last. Or so he thought. Lusitania also harbors the descolada, a virus that kills all humans it infects, but which the pequininos require in order to become adults. The Startways Congress so fears the effects of the descolada, should it escape from Lusitania, that they have ordered eh destruction of the entire planet, and all who live there. The Fleet is on its way, a second xenocide seems inevitble.

X is a challenging letter. What did you blog about today? Have you read any books that begin with the letter X?

14 comments:

Misha Gericke said...

The cookie looks delicious. I love almonds in cookies.

I'm also toying with the idea of starting off with the Ender series next month. We'll see.

:-)

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I also love almonds so this is a must for me.

Enjoy your week-end.

Yvonne.

MadelineAnn said...

Clever you, thinking of using Chinese for X!! The cookies look good, too....

Nick Wilford said...

This is the second time I've seen that book mentioned today and the third reference to the word xenocide! I think I'd like to read the series soon.

Regina Gort said...

Another cookie and book to add to the list!

Laura Eno said...

Almonds cookies are good. It's too bad your waffle cookies yesterday turned into a disaster but you saved me from trying them. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I guess they came up with new creations once they got to America.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Misha & Yvonne, I love almonds in cookies, too.

MadelineAnn, thank you. X is a tough one.

Nick, my husband is a big fan of the series.

Regina, it's a great series if you like Sci-Fi.

Laura, I was a bit disappointed, but you live and learn.

Alex, that probably explains it.

Kristin said...

Good idea using a Chinese word for X. I used plain old X-ray. Now I'm thinking about making some cookies.

Ingrid Engen said...

I may have to try these! I love almond cookies and almond flavoring! Thanks for the post!

#atozchallenge
tantusamorscribendi.blogspot.com

Julie Flanders said...

Very creative choice for X. The cookies look totally yummy to me. :)

S.P. Bowers said...

I'm impressed you found something for X.

Andrea said...

Awesome! You worked hard for this one!

Anna said...

Hi again Jenn,
I have yet to read any of Orson Scott Card's books other than his how-to- write-books. I must do that. I think he must be a good writer.
Anna
oxox

Share this: