Friday, April 26, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends but most of all, you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Waffle Iron Cookies                     
My Review – When I first saw this recipe for Waffle Cookies I thought, Hooray! A way to make cookies in the summer without the oven. Not so. This recipe is a disaster! First, I tried using the Universal Recipe, to save time, but the finished product was softer than I expected. So, I made the actual waffle cookie mix, which was much worse! It stuck to the waffle iron and came out in a pile of crumbs. In the end I went back and made the cookies with the Universal Recipe. They tasted good, but in the future I think I'll stick to the oven.

Since I'm not one to waste food, I'll crumble the waffle cookies over some vanilla ice-cream, but this is definitely a recipe to be skipped. However, there is a silver lining to this experiment, I learned how to make superfine sugar using my (for food use only) coffee grinder. Superfine sugar looks like powdered sugar, but taste a lot better. I may not be using this recipe, but I will be making superfine sugar again.

Fun Facts – The waffle iron dates back to around the 14th century. Originally they were constructed of two hinged iron plates that were connected by long, wooden handles. Most waffle irons at this time were imprinted with elaborate patterns on the plates, such as coat of arms, religious symbols, or landscapes.

The Dutch pilgrims brought waffle irons to America in the 1620′s. Later in 1869, Cornelius Swarthout patented the first waffle iron in the U.S. They sat on wood or gas stoves and the cast iron plates were joined by a hinge that swiveled. In 1891 John Kleimbach, a German immigrant living in Shamokin, Pennsylvania became a traveling salesman of waffles after fashioning an iron for the Mansion House Hotel. Kliembach sold waffles for a penny each or ten cents for a dozen. He was a sensation at the Chicago World's Fair.

In 1911, General Electric produced its first electric waffle iron, with the help of Thomas J. Steckbeck.  Steckbeck is credited with designing the first-of-its-kind heating elements that used a built in thermostat to prevent overheating, a common problem with early versions. With his revolutionary design and General Electric funding, the first fully electric waffle iron rolled off the assembly line July 26, 1911. In 1939, the “Twin-O-Matic” is designed by Karl Ratliff for the New York World’s fair.  In 1953 frozen waffles are sold in grocery stores for the first time. In 1964 Maurice Vermersch introduces the Brussels waffle recipe at the New York World’s Fair and the Belgium waffle is born.

Book Buddy Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

"Sometimes you know in your heart you love someone, but you have to go away before your head can figure it out."
To trace the path of her missing mother, Sal embarks on a journey from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents. On the road, Sal tells the strange and exciting story of her friend Phoebe. As the miles pass, Phoebe's tale becomes more and more outrageous, while Sal's own story begins to emerge. In unraveling Phoebe's mystery, Sal comes ever closer to finding out the truth behind her own bittersweet journey. What will she find at the end of the road?


I've been so busy A to Zing, I've forgotten to take time to celebrate the small things. This week I'm celebrating, that for the second year in a row, I made it from A to Z in the A to Z challenge. Now, I'm wondering what I'm going to blog about next month.

25 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

After all the trouble to make the waffles, they look good.

Yvonne.

S.P. Bowers said...

Love the history of the waffle iron. And good to know about the waffle cookie recipe. Doesn't sound worth messing with.

Mark Koopmans said...

Aloha Jenn,

I'm still struggling to make freezer-packet waffles warm enough for the three boys, so God bless you :)

One is *very* impressed :)

Rebeccah Giltrow said...

I know what you mean about the A-Z challenge. It's been great to blog every day through April, but what are we going to do with ourselves next month!? I might just take a break :D

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Waffle cookies sound good but I don't think I'll try them.

Karen Walker said...

These really look yummy. Thanks for your visit and comment on my blog.
Karen

M.J. Fifield said...

My friend and I made chocolate waffle cookies one December, and they turned out great. I was supposed to bring them to a cookie swap party, but they didn't make it out of the house.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Think I'll stick to oven cookies and real waffles.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yvonne, they were tasty but too much trouble.

S.P., I enjoyed the history lesson, too.

Thanks, Mark. Those are three lucky boys!

Rebeccah, a break sounds good, but I'll probably keep going until my vacation in July

Susan, yes, Waffle Cookies are to be admired from afar.

Karen, thanks for stopping back by.

M.J., I need your recipe.

Alex, you and me both.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Waffle cookies looks good, but I will stick to the real waffles.

VikLit said...

I feel the same, what on earth will I blog about!!! It's been fun though.

Suzanne Furness said...

Waffles, Yum! And congratulations on nearly completing A-Z I'm amazed at the stamina all you A - Zer's have.

Julie Flanders said...

Oh, it's too bad the recipe was a nightmare, these cookies sound so amazing. I totally love waffles so I was hungry for some of these as soon as I read your title. :)

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

Jenn, I laughed to read about your waffle cookies. Here I thought you were going to share some delicious recipe, but instead it was a disaster.

Well, anyway, they looked good.

Thanks for commenting over at 1st Writes.

MadelineAnn said...

Love waffles! They are quite rare here in Ireland, but I do have a machine, so no excuse...

M. J. Joachim said...

Waffle irons sure do have an interesting history. A lot of people are celebrating making it through the Challenge. Woohoo! Hats off to one and all!

Nick Wilford said...

Didn't know waffle irons went back so far. Shame about the recipe but hey, you learnt something!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm sorry the waffle cookies were a disaster. Half the time my waffles are, too.

Janeal Falor said...

This sounds so familiar! I had about the same exact experience. Definitely keep my cookies in the oven and only put waffles (and the occasional grilled cheese sandwich) in my waffle maker. It is fun to try new stuff though.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Me, too Rachna.

VikLit, it has been fun.

Thank you, Suzanne. It does take stamina.

Julie, making waffles is much easier.

Dawn, they did look and taste good, but way too much work.

MadelineAnn, I didn't know waffles were rare in Ireland.

M.J., the waffle iron has been around much longer than I thought.

Nick, I did learn something and that is good.

L. Diane, waffles are much easier than waffle cookies.

Janeal, grilled cheese in the waffle maker? I've learned something new again. Thanks!

Lynda R Young said...

wow, it's been so long since I've had a waffle! I'm craving one now

Cynthia said...

I never knew you could make waffle iron cookies. And with ice-cream....yum!

Printed Portal said...

same thing - what to blog about post challenge - there will be a gap to fill :)

Christine Rains said...

Wow, those waffle cookies look great. It would be a fun thing to try. And yay for making it in the Challenge! It's my second year too. :)

Anna said...

Dear Jenn,
I love waffles and I make them for my children even if I think they prefer pancakes.

But waffles are tricky! If you want them to be crisp you much put them on an airy rack or they will turn soft.

There is a traditional day for eating waffles in Sweden - March 25th! Actually it is a misunderstanding of the Swedish words for 'Vår Fru'= 'Our Lady', the day when the Angel came to Mary to tell her about Baby Jesus.
This was misconstrued to 'Waffle-Day' and a tradition of eating waffles was born!

Best wishes,
Anna
oxox

Share this: