Thursday, April 25, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends but most of all, you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Vanilla Wafers                                           
My Review – After years of buying Vanilla Wafers, to use in my banana pudding, it took the A to Z challenge to help me discover that I could make my own. I'm not sure how these cookies would hold up in a banana pudding as they are much softer and a lot sweeter than the boxed version. The taste is similar to a very rich sugar cookie and is extremely delicious! I baked two-dozen and they barely lasted long enough for me to take the picture. Since this cookie is ready in 30 minutes, including prep time, I will bake them again. I'm just not sure if I'll use them in my banana pudding, although telling my guests I'd baked the wafers myself would make me feel like a real Martha Stewart.

Fun Facts – If you've ever done type of baking you're probably familiar with vanilla or, at least, vanilla extract, but are you aware that the history of vanilla goes back to ancient times? The vanilla, defined as "little pod" in Spanish, bean was first cultivated by the Totonac Indians of Mexico. They used it in rituals long before Columbus came to America. It was also used as a medicine and as a perfume. Interestingly enough, the Totonac Indians didn't use it for flavoring. It was adopted by the Aztecs after the Totonacs were conquered in the 15th century. The Aztecs mixed it with chocolate to make their tasty drink chocolatl.

Book Buddy  – The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader", the third book in the series (fifth in chronological order) of The Chronicles of Narnia, where Edmund and Lucy Pevensie, as well as their priggish cousin, Eustace Scrubb, return to Narnia. There they accompany King Caspian on a voyage to find the seven lords who were banished when Caspian's uncle Miraz stole the throne. This perilous journey brought them face to face with many wonders and dangers, as they sailed toward Aslan's Country at the eastern end of the world.

Have you read any the Chronicles of Narnia? Do you have a favorite? Do you think you'll try these vanilla wafers in your next banana pudding?

15 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Another mouth watering delight,

Yvonne.

Nick Wilford said...

It's funny to think the original cultivators of vanilla didn't eat it when we take it so much for granted these days, eg in ice cream!

Regina Gort said...

Never made banana pudding with homemade vanilla wafers but I will now. And I love The Chronicles of Narnia. I'd have to say that Prince Caspian is my favorite.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Vanilla ice-cream was my childhood favourite. I have used vanilla wafers more for decoration than as an ingredient in my cooking.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I bet they taste better than the ones in the box.
And that's my favorite of the Narnia books.

Laura Eno said...

I swear, I gain 5 lbs and drool all over my keyboard every time I get here! Next year you should do the A to Z of things NOT to eat, okay? ;)
I love vanilla wafers. I don't buy them because I can eat 1/2 a box at one sitting. These would be deadly!

jaybird said...

Narnia is amazing. Loved all of the the books. CS Lewis is one of my all time favorite writers.

LOVE vanilla wafers. I like to use them as the crust for my cheesecake. So good!

C. Lee McKenzie said...

C. S. Lewis was a master storyteller and I loved all of the books he wrote.

Great history about vanilla!

Gina Gao said...

Vanilla ice cream and vanilla wafers are my favorite things to eat.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

S.P. Bowers said...

I might try the wafers but banana pudding is right out.

Maria Dunn said...

Good choice of children's fiction to cover, Jen. The Chronicles of Narnia are worth having every child read. And thank you for the vanilla wafer recommendation. I pinned to refer back. My husband loves banana pudding with vanilla wafers! You will have made his day when I make these. Thanks. God bless, Maria at Delight Directed Living

Marcia said...

I love the Chronicles of Narnia. And I can totally see why vanilla would be a perfume!

Ghadeer said...

Anything vanilla's awesome!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks again, Yvonne!

Nick, I found that interesting, too. I wonder what made the Aztecs eat it when the Totonacs never did?

Regina, we are both going to be Martha Stewart!

Rachna, I still enjoy Vanilla ice-cream. Probably more often than I should.

Alex, they do!

Hahaha, Laura, after a month of cookie baking I probably should write about that now.

Jaybird, vanilla wafers as a cheesecake crust sounds delectable. Lewis was awesome.

Thanks, C.Lee. C.S. Lewis had an amazing gift.

Gina, double vanilla desserts are the best.

S.P., be forewarned once you start eating the wafers, it's hard to stop.

Thank you, Maria. I hope your husband enjoys the wafers as much as mine did. Blessings to you, too!

Marcia, after baking these cookies my girl said I smelled good, like vanilla.

Ghadeer, very true!

Anna said...

Yummy vanilla wafers!
My children liked the movie made from C.S. Lewis' book The Dawn Treader. (I've seen it on DVD twenty times, at least.) Wish I could get them to READ it.
Anna
oxox

Share this: