Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends but most of all, you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Universal Cookie Mix                       
My Review –As this challenge winds to an end you might be saying to yourself, all those cookies are nice, but that is too many recipes for me. Have I got a recipe for you! It's the Universal Cookie Mix. A generic cookie base made from a cake mix where you can have your choice of add-ins from apple chips to toffee bits. I've used this type of universal mix before and I can say they are (practically) fail-proof as well as a life-saver in a cookie baking emergency. And we all know how often those come around.

Fun Facts – The first cookies were created by accident. Cooks used a small amount of cake batter to test their oven temperature before baking a large cake. These little test cakes were called "koekje", meaning "little cake" in Dutch. In earlier American cookbooks, cookies were given no space of their own but were listed at the end of the cake chapter. They were called by such names as "Jumbles," "Plunkets," and "Cry Babies." The names were extremely puzzling and whimsical.

Book Buddy The Underneath by

A calico cat, about to have kittens, hears the lonely howl of a chained-up hound deep in the backwaters of the bayou. She dares to find him in the forest, and the hound dares to befriend this cat, this feline, this creature he is supposed to hate. They are an unlikely pair, about to become an unlikely family. Ranger urges the cat to hide underneath the porch, to raise her kittens there because Gar-Face, the man living inside the house, will surely use them as alligator bait should he find them. But they are safe in the Underneath...as long as they stay in the Underneath.

Do you have a favorite cookie recipe you'd like to try using the Universal Cake Mix? Have you read The Underneath? Do you think you will?

11 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Yet another great idea,

Yvonne.

Joy said...

Thanks for the interesting cookie trivia. Fun!

Julie Flanders said...

Fail proof sounds good to me since I am a terrible baker! If there is a way for this mix to fail I will be the one to do it. :D

Julie Luek said...

Now that's an easy one to remember! I have a Christmas cookie recipe that's a bit like that: one dough, half-dozen variations from it. Perfect!

nutschell said...

so that's how the cookie got started! awesome trivia, jen. :)
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cake mix! Bet the cookies have great texture.

Laura Eno said...

I thought I had it all figured out - I'd come here AFTER I ate and you couldn't temp me. So what do you do? You give me an easy-to-store, universal cookie recipe.
Curses...

Sherry Ellis said...

Cake mix cookies? I bet they're great!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That sounds like the perfect recipe. I am all about easy.

Kate Larkindale said...

Wow! I've never heard of this before, but I love baking, so I'm going to give it a shot next time I need to make cookies. The kids are always having to bring stuff to school for shared lunches, so there's something to try!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks, Yvonne!

Joy, you are welcome.

Julie F., this recipe is just for you.

Julie L., I need your Christmas recipe.

Nutschell, the cookie history is interesting. I'm learning so much this month.

Alex, they are easy and delicious.

Hahahaha, Laura! I'm here to help ;-)

They are pretty yummy, Sherry.

L. Diane, me, too.

Kate, shared school lunches? That sounds like a cookie baking emergency!

Share this: