Monday, April 22, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Snickerdoodles                                         

My Review – Snickerdoodles are my cookie weakness. I love them so much, I could eat the entire batch in one sitting. I'm not sure if it's because they are so easy to make, or that they are sugar, on top of sugar, with a little cinnamon thrown in, or just how fun it is to say Snickerdoodle. When baking Snickerdoodles I always start with a basic sugar cookie mix, then roll the cookie dough in a sugar cinnamon mixture before baking. Snickerdoodles taste great with, milk, ice-cream or just one after the other.

Fun Facts – Snickerdoodles are drop cookies topped with cinnamon sugar that are cited in print from at least 1889. They were very popular in New England and Pennsylvania during this time. There are a few different beliefs about where the name came from. According to Wikipedia, some believe the cookies have a Dutch or German origin with their name being interpreted from the German word Schneckennudeln, or cinnamon-dusted sweet rolls. Some even believe the name originates from a series of tall tales around a hero named Snickerdoodle from the early 1900's. We may never know the true history behind the name, Snickerdoodle, but fortunately history gave us the most important part – the recipe!

Book Buddy Stuart Little by E.B. White

Stuart Little is no ordinary mouse. Born to a family of humans, he lives in New York City with his parents, his older brother George, and Snowbell the cat. Though he's shy and thoughtful, he's also a true lover of adventure.

Stuart's greatest adventure comes when his best friend, a beautiful little bird named Margalo, disappears from her nest. Determined to track her down, Stuart ventures away from home for the very first time in his life. He finds adventure aplenty. But will he find his friend?

Do you like Snickerdoodles? Can you say Snickerdoodle really fast five times without smiling? What is the funniest cookie name you can think of?



17 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

Love snickerdoodles! They don't get enough credit.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I've heard the name before, but had no idea what they were. Yay, I learned something this morning. :D

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I have never heard of the name, but one I won't forget now I have seen them.

Yvonne,

Angela Verges said...

Sugar AND Cinnamon??? Now that's a good cookie. I'll have to try it.

Thanks.

Julie Flanders said...

Ooh, I LOVE snickerdoodles. Yum. And I totally love Stuart Little. Perfect S post for me. :)

Elise Fallson said...

I've never heard of snickerdoodles so I wasn't sure what to expect, but then you said sugar and cinnamon and my mouth started to water. (:

Brandon Ax said...

Ah the snickerdoodle. I loved these as a kid.

Julie Luek said...

These cookies always remind me of my dad who passed away over a decade ago. They were one of his favorite! Sweet, sugar-dusted memories.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And face it - snickerdoodles is just a funny word!

Mark Means said...

I love these and you can always tell a great snickerdoodle because it melts in your mouth :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, Jenn,

I think I saw the movie with Stuart Little.

We don't have Snickerdoodles here, but anything with cinnamon floats my boat.

J.L. Campbell writes Jamaican Kid Lit

Kelley Lynn said...

I have a Snickerdoodle Ice cream sandwich almost every day! (Of course its the Skinny Cow version but its still SUPER yummy :))

Kieron Walker said...

This is my second favorite cookie right behind good old chocolate chips. I used to run through a batch of these in no time, and never felt guilty about it.

And what a great pairing! I remember sitting at my aunt's house reading Stuart Little from cover to cover while everyone else played outside.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

S.P., hooray! Another Snickerdoodle fan :D

Stina, glad to be of service.

Yvonne, I hope you get to try one, too.

Angela, you can never go wrong with cinnamon and sugar.

Thanks, Julie. I love these two, too.

Elise, a Snickerdoodle is the best thing for a watering mouth.

Brandon, we are all kids at heart.

Julie, I'm sorry for your loss. Your Dad sounds like he had great taste in cookies.

Alex, love that word!

Mark, that explains how I can eat so many.

J.L., No Snickerdoodles!??!. You will have to bake some and start a trend.

Kelly, Skinny Cow makes Snickerdoodle ice cream? I must get some.

Kieron, a good cookie and a good book makes for a perfect afternoon.

jaybird said...

Nothing made me happier than having a cup of tea and a cookie with my Grandma. Can't sit down and have either, without thinking of her. Miss her every day!

J. A. Bennett said...

Yum, I think I need some tea now :)

Samantha May said...

Love snickerdoodles! They're right up there with chocolate chip on my list of favorite cookies :)

Share this: