Saturday, April 20, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends but most of all, you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Red Velvet Cheesecake Cookies              
My Review – Sadly, I will not be making this cookie again. Don't get me wrong this is a delicious cookie, but it is also a very messy cookie. The red dough was really gooey and got everywhere. The cookies are huge (I didn't note this part of the recipe before I started) so you can only bake three at a time, and it requires a lot of prep, refrigerate, prep, store in the refrigerator, while you prep, ugh! Definitely not a recipe for me. I may buy a box of red velvet cake mix and try to recreate the easy lemon cookies with red velvet, but this recipe is for the real Martha Stewart's, not me.

Fun Facts – There is an urban legend surrounding the infamous red velvet, the story, which began circulating some time in the 1940s, claimed that Manhattan's elegant Waldorf-Astoria granted a diner's request for the recipe and later billed her $100. The angry woman, apparently with revenge in mind, then began circulating the recipe along with the story. Snopes.com has this legend listed as false but the story does add to the intrigue of the deep red cake.

Book Buddy –  Rules by Cynthia Lord.

Click to order from Amazon.com"Twelve-year-old Catherine just wants a normal life. Which is near impossible when you have a brother with autism and a family that revolves around his disability. She's spent years trying to teach David the rules — from "a peach is not a funny-looking apple" to "keep your pants on in public" — in order to stop his embarrassing behaviors. But the summer Catherine meets Jason, a paraplegic boy, and Kristi, the next-door friend she's always wished for, it's her own shocking behavior that turns everything upside down and forces her to ask: What is normal? 

Are you a red velvet fan? What is the most unusual cake or cookie you've eaten?


22 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't give out a recipe you don't want everyone to have!
Think I will skip those cookies as well.

Mark Means said...

Yeah, sometimes a messy cookie isn't worth the effort :)

Looks tasty, though.

Al Diaz said...

Red cookies. I don't think they come to be popular in the cave. We had very bad experience with other red cookies. It was my fault, but still... Another color maybe.

Belle said...

Those cookies look sooo delicious but I hate fussy recipes too.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Looks delicious.

Yvonne.

Gregg Metcalf said...

Never had one of those cookies. However, the only cookie I have ever found that I don't like is an oatmeal cookie. Those made good and special treats for our horses.

Joy said...

I will skip this one too...not a red velvet fan. You get an A for effort though!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Alex, that's a good life philosophy. Only share what you're willing to have shared.

Mark, they were tasty, but not enough to go through the trouble again.

Al, I love the color red, so I'll try them again. Just not this recipe.

Belle & Yvonne, yep they were yummy. Maybe I should give the recipe to a close friend that would share :D

Hahahaha, Gregg. Glad I made orange cookies for O instead of oatmeal.

Sharon Himsl said...

Not sure I've had this cookie before. I love no-bake chocolate/peanut butter/oatmeal clusters. Just saying hi in the A-Z.

jaybird said...

Hi Jenn- I haven't really ever met a cookie I didn't like :) Red Velvet is one of my favorite flavors for cake, but I've never tried it as a cookie.

My daughter Faith wants to be a chef, so she is always trying out recipes on us. Once, she came up with a cookie she called the "Peanut Butter Bomb" It was amazing! Best peanut butter cookie I ever had. Problem is, she didn't write the recipe down, and whenever she tries to recreate it, it never tastes as good as it did on that first try, lol!!

Brandon Ax said...

OH man my weakness anything red velvet. I will be making these.

Laura Eno said...

I'm definitely not the Martha Stewart type but they do look yummy! I'll have to trick somebody into making them for me. ;)

Laura Eno – A Shift in Dimensions

Regina Gort said...

Huge red velvet fan so even after your review I am still going to give it a try. And I love that book!

Nagzilla said...

Mmmmmm...bummer the recipe was a pain, because I love me some red velvet. I'll just stick to the cupcakes I can buy at the bakery.

Hi from Nagzilla bloghopping A to Z

Jen HaHA said...

My cousin made red velvet cupcakes once with beet juice as coloring and it was crazy messy. Can't think of a crazy cookie I've had, but I've had lots of yummy ones! I get excited when people make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

The book sounds interesting. I need to start reading again and will have to check out this book!

Check out my A to Z! Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

Allyson Lindt said...

The cookies look good, but I'm not thrilled with the thought of the mess. But they look really good...

Our local bakery makes a red velvet cookie that's always a little too crunchy to be tasty, so sounds like I'm sticking with the cake for now (which is super yummy)
____
Find me:
Blog: http://allysonlindt.com
email: Allyson.Lindt@gmail.com
Twitter: @AllysonLindt

Fe said...

You have some amazing recipes. I'm so glad I found your blog through A-Z. I'll be following you so please don't go anywhere... :)

Julie Flanders said...

The urban legend is fun! Even if it's not true I'll think of it next time I have red velvet cake. :)

Juliet Bond said...

I had a lemon cookie today that made me swoon! Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

Deborah Lean said...

So glad I found your site.

You've combined two of my favourite things, baking and reading.

I'm a new follower.

Ghadeer said...

Red velvet + Cheesecake + Cookies?
This is too much to handle!

Patricia Lynne said...

The picture looks so delicious! I don't mind involved recipes if I have enough space and time. Makes the end product even sweeter to enjoy.

Share this: