Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that I think is the perfect cookie companion along with a few fun facts about the cookie and/or ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Brazilian Coffee Cookie                         
My Review – As a lover of coffee, I had to give the Brazilian Coffee Cookies* a try since they are touted as the perfect coffee companion. With twelve ingredients they were pushing my limits, since I like recipes that are quick and simple, but, for the love of coffee, I pressed on. This cookie is like a gingersnap made with coffee instead of ginger. (*note: the steps in this recipe omits the addition of the coffee. I put it in right after the milk and vanilla)

Fun Facts –Today coffee is a leading export of Brazil, but that was not always the case. Legend has it that a military man, French Guiana Captain-Lieutenant Francisco de Mello Palheta, introduced the prized coffee seeds for the very first time to the Brazilians in 1727 after he wooed them away from the wife of the French Guianan governor. Rumor has it he became sweet on her, after her husband's refusal to share the beans with Francisco, and she rewarded him for his personal flair with a bouquet of flowers where she hid coffee beans as a gift for memories' sake. Brazil's favorable climate encouraged mass planting and quickly created harvests greater than anywhere else in the world. In 1998, Brazil produced a third of the world's coffee.

Book Buddy The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. 

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.


What's your favorite coffee book? You didn't steal it, did you?

24 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Looks wonderful and I bet they taste as good. Enjoying your alphabetical cookies.

Yvonne.

Regina Gort said...

I love the Book Thief and now I have a new recipe!

Jessica Schley said...

What a super fun theme! I'm excited to see the rest. Everyone is telling me I need to read TBT. Guess I will--with a cup of coffee and a Brazilian coffee cookie!

Dana said...

I love The Book Thief! The cookie looks pretty great, too. ☺

Happy Tuesday!

Ghadeer said...

The Book Thief is one of my favourites, and I love how you match the perfect cookie taste to the books (Like this book is bitter and sad, and a coffee-flavoured cookie would suit it well).

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Yvonne, I'm enjoying your poems.

Regina, a perfect reason to make the cookies and read the book again.

Jessica, glad you like the theme. I think you'll like The Book Thief even more.

Dana, Happy Tuesday you to you, too! The cookies and book are both winners in my book.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you, Ghadeer! You are completely right in your understanding of both.

Jeremy [Retro] said...

interesting read... thank you.
i am not sure which i would call for me a coffee book.

Jeremy [Retro]
AtoZ Challenge Co-Host
Oh No, Let's Go... Crazy

sydneyaaliyah.com said...

I enjoy new cookie recipes. Have to give it a try.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My wife would love those cookies.

Joy said...

I love your theme for the challenge! I'm going to try these coffee cookies. They look fantastic.

Julie Luek said...

Give me anything with a coffee flavor and I'm happy, happy. These sound delicious!

Mel said...

That cookie sounds delicious (I also LOVE coffee) and The Book Thief is one of my favorites :) Great post!

S.P. Bowers said...

I love, love, love The Book Thief. I even made my hubby read it and he loved it too.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

The cookies look great (I love cookies, but am gluten/grain free and don't get them very ofter...and when I do, they are never as good as the gluten kind :) Fun Theme! Love it.

Mark Means said...

I'm on day two of a five day juice fast/detox but...man...those cookies look delicious...lol.

I don't think I have a favorite coffee book, but I love coffee...does that count? :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

The Book Thief is a great book. And those cookies sound delicious!

Lexie C. said...

Yummy looking cookie for B day! I'll have to put the Book Thief on my to read list! :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

You are welcome, Jeremy.

Think you will enjoy them Sydneyaaliyah,

Yes, Alex, I'm sure she would.

Thank you, Joy. I had a lot of fun baking, and eating, them.

Me, too, Julie. Me, too!

Thanks, Mel. I have much love for coffee and The Book Thief.

S.P., I think I'll have my hubby read it, too.

Thanks, Rebecca. As you probably guessed, I love cookies, too.

Mark, good luck on the fast. I tried and failed, so I'm rooting for you!

Yes, Annalisa, they both are wonderful!

Yes, Lexie, I think you'll enjoy it.

thelmaz said...

I love the Book Thief. I list the books I've read each month on my blog at www.widowsphere.blogspot.com and that was one of my favorites for 2011. I guess my all-time favorite book, coffee or not, is still To Kill a Mockingbird

Munir said...

My daughter in law likes to experiment with different kinds of coffee. I got her red velvet flavored and caramel and hazel not from Gloria Jeans. Have you tried them?

Tia Bach said...

The Book Thief is one of my all-time fave books. Intense, emotional, gut-wrenching. Amazing.

B = Building Bildungsroman

Scribbles From Jenn said...

thelmaz, I've never read To Kill a Mockingbird. Guess I should add it to my list.

Munir, that sounds YUMMY! I need to find a Gloria Jeans.

Yes, Tia, The Book Thief was amazing.

Lexa Cain said...

COOKIES!!! You now have my full attention. What a great theme!
Thanks for the recipe and the book recommendation. Awesome! :-)

Share this: