Friday, April 19, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Quince Cookie Crumble                    
My Review – This Quince Cookie Crumble is the perfect Q dessert and like most crumbles is easy and fail-proof. Although I searched high and low for quince fruit or jam, I was unable to find any since it was out of season. Consequently, I had to resort to using my favorite jam, as the recipe suggested. I don't know what this would have tasted like with quince, but it tasted wonderful with orange, pear, raspberry, jam.  It also made the entire house smell delicious while it baked. We ate it warm from the oven topped with whipped cream. Mmmm, mmmm, good!

Fun Facts – The Quince (Cydonia oblonga) is a relative of the apple and pear and belongs to the pome fruit family. Quince is one of the earliest known fruits, and may be similar to what apples and pears were like in their ancient forms. For
over 4,000 years, quince trees have grown in Asia and the Mediterranean.  Native to the Caucasus and Iran, the quince was known as the ‘Pear of Cydonia’. They are also thought to have been the ‘golden apples’ of Greek Mythology. In the raw form, the rind is rough and woolly, and the flesh is hard and unpalatable, with an astringent, acidulous taste because they are high in tannins.  Quince is an excellent fruit for preserves, may be stewed with meat (the tannins help tenderize meat), made to compotes, used in apple stews for flavor and of course, in cookie crumbles.

Book BuddyQuiet! There's A Canary In The Library
Written and Illustrated by Don Freeman

When Cary goes to the library, she really gets into it, thinking of nothing else but the book she's reading. One day, when she picks up a book about zoo animals, she daydreams about what she would do if she were the librarian, how she would invite all the animals to a special bird-and-beast day at the library. She greets each animal as it comes in, and things go great until a flock of mice scamper in an upset the elephant... Then she has to restore order, and is helped by a little canary. A fun, fanciful story and a welcome celebration of the halls of knowledge. Another nice one from the author of Corduroy.

Have you tried quince?  Do you have a favorite recipe? Had you even heard of quince before today?


17 comments:

Brandon Ax said...

I love cookie crumbles. I tried a fruit similar to this and it made all our tongues feel funny.

S.P. Bowers said...

I've never had quince. I'll have to give this a try.

Clarissa Draper said...

I recently bought a tea made from quince. It's like an apple or pear but harder. I love the tea and I love the theme of your challenge.

M.J. Fifield said...

That's true that desserts with 'crumble' in the name are pretty fail-proof.

Never had a quince before.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Having never had quince I think I may well try this,

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So in the Garden of Eden, it's likely they ate a quince rather than an apple.

Kate said...

Mmmm.... The quince is such a lovely fruit. That looks scrumptious.

Melissa Bradley said...

This looks and sounds completely delicious. I never knew all that about the quince, thank you for sharing such an interesting background.

http://melissasimaginarium.blogspot.com/

S.K. Anthony said...

Yummy.. Cookie crumble is making me hungry! I never had a quince before but sounds delicious ;)

Mark Means said...

I've never heard of quince, but it looks yummy :)

Left and Write

Tyrean Martinson said...

Those sound like yummy cookies, but I've never had quince.
And the book looks like fun to read!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Brandon, the description of quince seems like it could have that effect.

S.P., I hope to make it again when quince is in season.

Thanks, Clarissa, I didn't know they had a quince tea, too. I'm going to look for it.

M.J., crumbles are great because they're supposed to look messy

Yvonne, you and me both.

Alex, I think it was a quince that tempted Eve.

Kate, it does look lovely.

You are welcome, Melissa. I found it interesting, too.

S.K., it's yummy and easy. A perfect combination.

Mark, the jams are supposed to be in stores in mid-May. I'll be checking them out.

Tyrean, the book is a very cute concept. I love Don Freeman.

Julie Flanders said...

I've never even heard of quince. This sounds really yummy though. :)

Happy Friday!

Rhonda Parrish said...

I don't think I've ever had quince. I'll have to hunt some down and give it a try.

Regina Gort said...

A cookie flavor I've never tried and a book not yet read. Thanks for these!

Sania Heba said...

Yumm... That sounds and looks delicious. I'm pretty sure it tastes delicious too!

Sania at Embracing Dawn

Lexa Cain said...

Fruit compotes and crumbles are some of my favorite things! I like them with vanilla ice cream on top.
Thanks for the great info on quince. I'd heard of it, but I didn't know much about it - and now I do! :-)

Share this: