Thursday, April 18, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Pizzelle Cookies                         
My Review – I love these cookies! I first had them when my neighbor gave them to us as a Christmas treat. I was hooked after the first bite. Each pizzelle only uses one tablespoon of mix so you can eat a ton of them and not feel guilty. Well, not a ton, but a lot more than one. You do need a pizzelle iron to make these, you can find many varieties on Amazon, at Bed Bath & Beyond, and local Italian groceries.

Fun Facts –Pizzelle's come from Italy. They are also known as Italian wafer cookies and there are various ways which to spell pizzelle such as "piazelle," "piazella," "pizzele" and "pizelle." The name comes from the Italian word "pizze" for round and flat. Many different cultures have adapted this cookie and re-named it accordingly. In Scandinavia they are also known as "Lukken" and the Krumcake is baked using a similar iron as the pizzelle. Pizzelles are eaten flat or folded into cone shapes that are filled with ice cream and other sweets.
In some parts of Italy, the pizzelle irons would be made with family crests on them which would be passed down to each generation.

Book Buddy Pigsty by Mark Teague, because I love this book and I always feel like pigging out on pizzelles.

PigstyWendell Fultz's mom thinks her son's bedroom is "turning into a pigsty!" Little does she know to what extent: a real pig, and his friends, have moved in, forcing Wendell to clean up his act — with some help from his hooved friends.


13 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I'm loving all these cookies you are putting on each day.

Yvonne.

T. Drecker said...

Those 'cookies' are so yummy!

Regina Gort said...

I love pizzelles dunked in tea and love that book ;)

nutschell said...

yum! i had these once. NOw you're making me crave them again.
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I guess I'd need a new kitchen appliance to make those.

klahanie said...

Hey there,

I lust love me some cookies. I vaguely remember hearing about the cookies you mention in your "P" post.

However, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar prefers only the finest of doggy biscuits :)

Happy alphabeting.

Gary from the Z to A Challenge :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks, Yvonne. Your poetry is wonderful, too.

T. Drecker, they are yummy. My family is loving this challenge.

Regina, I need to try dunking mine in tea.

Nutschell, I know what you mean!

Alex, I love kitchen appliances. I can always find a reason to get a new one.

Thanks for stopping by Gary! Welcome to my blog. Penny sounds like a smart dog.

,

Julie Luek said...

When I was growing up, I had a neighbor-- a little woman with a diminutive stature, completely Italian--who would make me these cookies. She knew I didn't like the anise flavor so would make me vanilla. Even when I'd come home from college, there'd be a batch of these delicate and beautiful cookies waiting for me. I hadn't thought about that memory for years. :)

Andrew Leon said...

Oh, man, I don't know that I can read a series about cookies! That's just dangerous.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Julie, What a sweet neighbor! I'm going to keep that memory and hopefully one day grow up to be just like her.

Come on Andrew, live dangerously! We only have a few more letters left.

Andrea said...

I love pizzelles (as long as there is no anise snuck in). My mother-in-law makes really yummy ones. I tried once with my mom, and think it is better suited for two people (one to man the timer)!

M said...

Those cookies look great! And pretty.
Happy A-Z Thursday :)

Lynda R Young said...

I've never tried a Pizzelle. They look yum.

Share this: