Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft

Orange Cookies                                       

My Review – Since I went with a traditional cookie for C, chocolate chip, I decided to go with the unexpected and bake Orange Cookies, for the letter O. These Orange Cookies were perfect for a sunny Southern California Day.  They are full of orange flavoring and taste great plain and even better frosted. The recipe makes 72 cookies which was too many for our cookie baking house, so I cut the ingredients in half. I also used pre-made frosting adding orange zest for more flavor. Unlike my Nutella cookies from yesterday, these cookies are easy to bake and I will be making them again.

Fun Facts – Oranges have been cultivated all over the world for many years. The seeds of the plant were often carried to different regions by exploring or visiting individuals. In 1493, Columbus purchased the seeds of oranges in the Canary Islands. He eventually started a colony in Haiti where he planted orange orchards.

There are three varieties of orange: sweet, loose skinned and bitter. Sweet oranges: navel, blood oranges, and Valencia, are great for eating and making orange juice. Blood oranges have a pigment in the skin that give them a dark red hue. Loose skinned oranges are part of the Mandarin orange family and are sweet or tart. They are usually cooked with sugar to make marmalade, essential oils, and candied peels. Brazil is the leading country for orange production, with the state of Florida second. California, Texas and Arizona are the only other orange-producing states in the United States.

Book Buddy – On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King

On WritingThe first section of On Writing is an Autobiography mainly about King’s early exposure to writing, and his childhood attempts at writing. King talks about his early attempts to get published, and his first novel Carrie. King also talks about his fame as a writer, and what it took to get there. 

The second section is practical advice on writing, including tips on grammar and ideas about developing plot and character. King himself describes it as a guide for how "a competent writer can become a good one." 


The third section is also autobiographical, in which King discusses the 1999 automobile accident in which he was struck by a vehicle while walking down an isolated country road. 


As a writer, I had to put in at least one book on craft. Are you a writer, too?  Have you read this book? Have you read any Stephen King books? Are you a Stephen King fan?

16 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

It's lunch time where I live but post today beats anything I'm about to eat. They look so Yummy,

Yvonne.

Juliet Bond said...

Yum! Those look delicious. Also, I think that I have a cold today. Do you think that I could rationalize those yummy cookies over orange juice?

Elise Fallson said...

Love oranges, love cookies, but the two together I have a hard time with. I'm the same way with orange flavored chocolate. But, I am a fan of Stephen King's books, especially his early works. I've also read his book On Writing and it's excellent.

martine said...

I read the Stephen King book because so many people recommended it, it is brilliant, not just the writing stuff but the biographical stuff, you can respect him because he is so honest about his own failings.
thanks for sharing

Johanna Garth said...

Love Stephen King and found On Writing very helpful. I think I'm going to try your orange cookie recipe this weekend. :)

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Those cookies look super nummy!

S.P. Bowers said...

My husband would love those cookies.

I've read on writing. I enjoyed it but found it a little to conversational. The whole first half was just about his writing history rather than writing craft.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yvonne, I hope you saved room for a cookie for dessert.

Yes, Juliet. Orange cookies are just what the doctored ordered ;)

Elise, you take your oranges plain, I take mine in cookies :D

Martine, It always good to hear that successful people, like Stephen King, had doubts about his skill, too.

Johanna, enjoy the cookies and don't forget the frosting.

Thanks, Jaycee. I'm trying not to eat too many.

S.P., Saved the Cat is still my favorite, but On Writing has good points, too.

Melanie Schulz said...

Your cookies sound amazing. Anything orange is right up my alley. Yes, I've read a lot of Stephen King, especially his early stuff. I bought On Writing, and started it, but never finished it. I know he didn't mean it to feel like it, but I kind of put it aside because each writer's road is their own story and I found myself wanting his. That is never good.

Susanne Drazic said...

Those orange cookies sound yummy. I've read Stephen King's book. Found it interesting.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Mandarin oranges are my favorite.
And everything is better with frosting!

Lisa-Marie Jordan said...

I love oranges, and these cookies look yummy!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Melanie, you are correct, we each must follow our own journey.

Susanne, the cookies are yummy and the book moved me forward in my writing path.

Alex, everything is better with frosting.

Lisa-Marie, this is the perfect cookie for an orange lover.

Nick Wilford said...

Mmm, I love that zingy orange taste!

Whole Foods Living said...

I have never made orange cookies, but they sound wonderful!!! Happy A-to-Z 2013! ~Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

Lexie C. said...

I love anything citrus :) Sounds yummy! :)

Share this: