Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Nutella Stuffed Cookies                    

My Review – Although I love the fact that this recipe only has three ingredients, one of which is Nutella, the Nutella Stuffed Cookies were a difficult to make. They were sticky, the Nutella didn't melt and ooze out like pictured in the recipe and they were a bit dry for my taste. It may have been user error, but in the future I'll just eat my Nutella plain.

Fun Facts – Nutella® spread, in its earliest form, was created in the 1940s by Mr. Pietro Ferrero, a pastry maker and founder of the Ferrero company. At the time, there was very little chocolate because cocoa was in short supply due to World War II rationing.

So Mr. Ferrero used hazelnuts, which are plentiful in the Piedmont region of Italy (northwest), to extend the chocolate supply. The original version of Nutella spread was called "pasta gianduja," pasta which means paste, and "gianduja" which is the name of a carnival character famous to the region, a character that can be found in the first advertisements for the product.

Book Buddy The Napping House by Audrey Wood.

This book is beautifully illustrated and was a favorite of mine when I taught first grade. I love the repetitiveness of, 'where everyone is sleeping.'  I also love that it's about a favorite afternoon activity of mine.

The Napping House Board Book   -     
        By: Audrey Wood
    
    
        Illustrated By: Don Wood
    
The Napping House is a cumulative tale about a cozy bed, a snoring granny, a dreaming child, a dozing dog, and a snoozing cat. One by one the characters snuggle up in a pile until a tiny unwelcome guest appears on the scene.




14 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

These look so delicious, much hard work must go into each post. Thank you.

Yvonne.

Nick Wilford said...

Mmm... love Nutella. I imagine those cookies would be awesome!

Brandon Ax said...

Hmm, weird fact of my own I have never tried Nutella... I know right. I guess I need to get on it.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Learning the history of our food is very interesting. I don't like difficult to make food, so I'm with you...I'll eat my nutella on toast!

Ghadeer said...

Oh my! These are the best cookies of your A to Z yet.

Mark Means said...

Trying to eat healthy is always in danger when I visit you here, during April :P

I'm enjoying the trivia related to the cookes, a lot.

Great theme :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Ironically I just came from another blogger who posted about Nutella. I really need to try it some day.

The Happy Whisk said...

I don't care for that formula, and don't see it as a user-problem as much as a poorly written recipe.

Samantha May said...

My love for Nutella is so strong...

I had to stop buying it because once I opened the jar I literally did not stop eating until it was gone. I'm not even kidding.

Writing Through College

Lexie C. said...

The Napping House was one of my mom's most favorite books (she taught 1st grade)! Nice to see it here :)

Oh, my. So my daughter and I went on a Nutella recipe binge this morning. We have way too many recipes to try now thanks to your link... :D
Can't have enough of Nutella.

Regina Gort said...

Two of my favorite things in one...Nutella and cookies. And I read the napping house to my daughter at least once a week. She likes it when I read the Spainsh version ;)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you, Yvonne. For me baking is a labor of love.

Nick, Nutella cookies sound great, I just couldn't make it work.

Brandon, this year was my first taste, too.

Elizabeth, Nutella right out of the jar is best.

Thanks, Ghadeer!

Mark, I'm glad the trivia keeps you coming back.

Give it a go, Alex. Nutella is quite yummy!

Coming from the The Happy Whisk, I'll take that as a compliment.

Hahaha, Samantha, I can see how that could happen.

Lexie, The Napping House is perfect for first grade. I'm glad the recipes are working for you.

Regina, your daughter is a lucky girl!

Carrie Butler said...

I've never had Nutella, but so many people seem to love it! :)

Andrea said...

I so love the Napping House...where everyone is sleeping!

Share this: