Monday, April 15, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies         
My Review   If you love chocolate and mint you will love these cookies. Using a sugar cookie mix (I use Krusteaz) as a base cuts the prep time in half. However, if you oppose prepared mixes, you could always substitute your favorite chocolate chip or sugar cookie recipe and add Andes Mint to the mix. I've made these cookies plain and with the green food coloring. I prefer the green as it hints at the mint flavoring. I do not add mint extract, as the recipe suggests, since for me the added mint would be over-powering. 

Fun Facts – Mint (Mentha) is a perennial herb with a unique aroma and colorful history. The leaves and stems are harvested for numerous culinary and medicinal uses. Mint can be used fresh or dried. In the garden, mint spreads rapidly in shade to part sun in average garden soil. I have experienced this personally as my tiny mint plant from Trader Joe's, without intervention, would take over my entire garden. Mint was used throughout history to treat stomach and digestion problems and to freshen breath. The dried leaves were used to whiten teeth and as a pest repellent. Mint is still used in medicine, in beauty products and as a food additive. It can be used fresh or dried in salads, as a garnish for hot or cold drinks, or as a tea.

Book Buddy – Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I picked this book since it is the epitome of the unexpected just like this cookie.  The cookie is a mixture of chocolate chip, mint, and sugar all rolled together in a blend that works as well together as the blend of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children.

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. 

18 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Think I'm piling on the pounds just looking at your cookies, a wonderful theme.

Yvonne.

Andrea said...

I havent tried adding mint to straight up chocolate chip cookie batter, as I always throw in cocoa powder too. Staring with Krusteaze is a great idea! Stopping by from a-z

S.P. Bowers said...

I LOVE chocolate and mint. It's my favorite. I think the only thing keeping me from exploding during your A-Z posts is that I can't make any of these until my son outgrows his egg and dairy allergy. We're taking him to be tested next week! Just maybe things can get back to normal.

I've heard so many things about that book. It's near the top of my list but the libraries around here don't have a copy.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

As long as it tastes minty, I'm good without the food coloring.

Julie Luek said...

I love minty flavors, but like Alex, can do without the food coloring. Yum-- chocolate and mint is wonderful.

Sherry Ellis said...

I like your theme! Those cookies sound good!

nutschell said...

gosh. those mint choco cookies look so yummy. i love that they're green!

Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Julie Flanders said...

Oh yum I love mint and chocolate together. These sounds fantastic. :D

Mark Means said...

Usually,I'm not a big fan of mint, but I do like Andes mints.

A cookie like that, I could swallow, I'm sure :)

Lexie C. said...

Really interesting looking book!

I always have some kind of mint plant around and like you said, it spreads so they're always in pots! Yummy sounding cookies!:)

Sandy said...

Not a big mint chocolate fan, but they're soooooooo pretty. They'd be a good cookie to make around St. Paddy's Day.

a-z

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I got a basil plant from Trader Joe's and killed it in six months. Maybe I need to try a mint one instead.

lillian888 said...

Yay! Something to tide us over once we've run out of Thin Mints! I've been meaning to read the Miss Peregrine book. Intriguing premise.

Happy A to Z!

Morgan Katz said...

Ok, now you're seriously making me hungry! I love cookies! ;)

Claire Gillian said...

Those look yummy! First time visiting you and I love your cookie / fun fact / book approach. Really fun.

Jagoda said...

Who doesn't like mint cookies? And I really liked "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children."
From A to Z,
Jagoda

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Those would be great for St. Paddy's Day!

Jessica Schley said...

Done. These are soooo getting made.

Share this: