Saturday, April 13, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Lemon Cookies (Easy)                 

My Review  This Easy Lemon Cookie recipe only has five ingredients and the recipe was so easy I was able to come home, bake and plate them in the thirty minutes I had between chauffeur runsI substituted pure lemon juice for the extract making them even yummier! Rolling them in the confectioners sugar was quite messy and most of it baked off. Next time I'll skip this step and apply the confectioners sugar after.

Fun Facts  California and Arizona  produce approximately 95 percent of the U.S.lemon crop. The two major varieties of lemons are the Lisbon and the Eureka; they are so similar that even the experts can't always tell them apart! Lemon Tips: Roll a room temperature lemon on the counter a few times before juicing, fresh lemons add fragrance and color to a room, visual appeal to water and flavor to salads, veggies, and soups.

Book Buddy –  The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

After four harrowing years on the Western Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day’s journey from the coast. To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season and shore leaves are granted every other year at best, Tom brings a young, bold, and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a baby’s cries on the wind. A boat has washed up onshore carrying a dead man and a living baby.

I loved this book and I love lighthouses. Have you ever been to a lighthouse? Would you be willing to live in one?

27 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

another refreshing feast, love your post.

Yvonne.

mooderino said...

I'm not sure I could handle living in a lighthouse. Will there be wifi?

S.P. Bowers said...

The book sounds good. I'd live in a lighthouse, but not a functioning one.

Are the lemon cookies soft? I've been looking for a good lemon cookie recipe.

Ghadeer said...

Another book buddy for lemon cookies could be 'The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake'

Rhonda said...

The lemon cookies sound great. I was surprised that more were not from Florida. :)

Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com
Visiting from AtoZ #41

Lynn Proctor said...

mmm love lemon cookies--oh yes i love lighthouses and would so live in one!

Rosanna C. Rogacion said...

I've never heard of lemon cookies - but then again, I'm not a cookie person. I love lemon squares though!

Regina Gort said...

I love this book too. And I love visiting lighthouses. I am fortunate to live on Lake Superior and have been to many.

Dana said...

I love lemon cookies! I think living in a lighthouse would be amazing. :)

Happy Saturday.

M Pax said...

That cookie has my stomach rumbling. Hmm, that sounds like quite the wonderful book. Have a beautiful weekend!

Julie Luek said...

Oh I'm going to write this recipe down. I love lemon desserts-- they just remind me of summer (and boy, could I use that reminder today!)

Stephen Tremp said...

Just think how hard it would be to change that huge lightbulb at the op of the lighthouse.

And the lemon cookies sound awesome. We have an orange tree and want to plant a lemon tree.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sure that surprises people that lemons grow in Arizona. I used to live there and yes, they do!

Jagoda said...

What a fun theme for the A to Z challenge: cookies and great reads. I've had this book on my 'to read' list for a while. Maybe I'll move it up the list.
Jagoda

Laura Eno said...

Cookies!
Oh...ehem...
I would LOVE to live in a lighthouse! :)

Laura Eno – A Shift in Dimensions

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks, Yvonne.

For you, Moooderino, there will be wifi.

S.P., I wouldn't want to do the work either. No, the cookies weren't very soft.

Ghadeer, I'll have to check out that book.

Rhonda, they were yummy.

Me, too, Lynn.

Rosanna, I love lemon bars, too.

Regina, I need to come to your coast. I've only been to one.

Dana, amazing is the perfect word.

M. Pax, I have a busy weekend and it's looking to be wonderful. Thank you.

Julie, I hope the cookies brighten up your day.

Stephen, I bet it is a lot of work.

Alex, come back to the West Coast. We need more Ninjas!

Jagoda, the book and the cookies are both amazing.

Laura, I'd live there and bake lots of cookies :D

Theresa said...

What a great idea for the A to Z challenge! Those cookies sound delicious and super easy!

And I have been to a lighthouse. I live on an island though so they're not exactly scarce around here.I would totally live in one. Waking up to the view of the water every single day! Absolutely. Sounds perfect!

Lexie C. said...

I really love lighthouses too- visited a few.

Lemon cookies look so yummy! I thought about posting Lime cream cheese pie today- my favorite. :)

Ingrid Engen said...

I've had that book on my "to read" list for awhile, but read some mixed reviews about it. Perhaps I'll have to pick it up now that I've heard another good word for it.

Stopping by from A to Z.
tantusamorscribendi.blogspot.com

Trisha F said...

I would love to try those lemon cookies! Yum!

Kimberly Gabriel said...

I love lemon bars - I bet I'd love lemon cookies too. They sound delicious!

Cynthia said...

Being a Cali girl, I certainly agree that lemons are quite abundant here in our state. I love lemons- I can use them in so many desserts and entrees.

sunday visitor said...

Loved this post, I like the theme that you have chosen for this challenge and I look forward to the other posts!

Susan Roebuck said...

Lemon cookies! That's now in my recipe list. The book sounds like a good one...I'll check it out.

Maple Syrup Land said...

I love your theme!! I'm going to go through all your A to Z posts to check out the recipes :)

Melissa Sugar said...

What a fun and refreshing post. I love easy recipes and the book sounds mysterious and intriguing. I am your newest follower from A to Z.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

pinned that one! Sounds delicious!

Share this: