Thursday, April 11, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Jolly Rancher Cookies                        
My Review – Also known as stained glass cookies the Jolly Rancher Cookies combine the best of two worlds, cookies and candy. These cookies were easy to make and fun to eat. Unless you wear braces, like my daughter, then eating the candy center can be a bit tricky. Be sure to line your cookie sheet with foil and let the cookie cool completely before you remove it.

Fun Facts –The hard fruit-flavored candy Jolly Rancher is manufactured by the Hershey's Company and comes in over twenty flavors including green apple, watermelon, cherry, and lemon. The brand has been expanded to include Jolly Rancher flavored lollipops, gummy candy, chewy candy, jelly beans and sour candy. The Jolly Rancher Candy Company was founded in Golden, Colorado, by Bill and Dorothy Harmsen in 1949. They called the company Jolly Rancher to suggest a hospitable, western company. The company originally made ice cream, chocolate and hard candy. As hard candy sales grew, however, they began to concentrate on developing their "Famous for Flavor" line of hard candies. Today Jolly Ranchers are made by the Hershey Company.

Book Buddy Junie B. Jones Series by Barbara Park. A colorful character for a colorful cookie.
The series' title character and main protagonist, Junie B., lives with her parents and her baby brother, Ollie. Her birthday is June 1. She also has a dog named Tickle. She is 5 years old in the first kindergarten adventures, and six years in the second. Junie B. is friendly and has a bright personality. In Kindergarten, her two best friends are Lucille and Grace. In the first grade, her best friends are Herb, Jose, and Lennie. Junie B. has two rivals: Jim in kindergarten and May in first grade. In kindergarten, her classroom is Room Nine, and in First Grade, Room One. Junie B.'s favorite foods are spaghetti and meatballs, lemon pie, and ice cream. She has many catchphrases, such as "Wowie wow wow!", "Yeah, only", and "Hello! How are you today?". She is afraid of roosters because she thinks "they can peck your head into a nub", ponies because she thinks "they can stomple you to the ground and kill you", and clowns because she thinks "they are not normal people".

My favorite Junie B. Jones book is Junie B., First Grader: Boss of Lunch (#19) Junie B. helps around the cafeteria after complaining to Mrs. Gutzman that the first graders don't get cookies. Can you guess why this book is my favorite?  Are you a Junie B fan? Do you have a favorite? Do you like your candy mixed in with your cookies?

Stop back by tomorrow. I'll be mixing cookies and candy again for the letter K. Any guesses which candy?

21 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

I've never seen these before. They look pretty.

Maria Dunn said...

Hi Jenn, You have such a wonderful assortment of cookies and fun facts from A to J. i will have to stop back and get another taste. God bless, Maria from Delight Directed Living

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

They look delicious.

Yvonne.

Jackie said...


Two of my sons love Junie B. Jones. And I bet they'd love those cookies, too! :)

Regina Gort said...

My girls love Junie B. Jolly Rancher cookies would be a sure hit. Especially since we just made Starburst Jelly bean pancakes for Easter.

Rosalind Adam said...

So many different types of biscuit on your blog. Gosh, I only ever get digestives!

Rosalind Adam is Writing in the Rain

Melanie Schulz said...

I didn't like the Junie B. Jone's series, it was full of bad grammar and stories that left me going- did she really just do that?

Scribbles From Jenn said...

S.P., I thought they were pretty, too.

Thanks for stopping by Maria. I hope you do come back.

They were delicious Yvonne. I wish I could have shared them with you.

Jackie, I'm sure they would.

Regina, jelly bean pancakes sounds like a fun breakfast!

Rosalind, I had fun baking the biscuits.

Melanie, I think Junie B. is great. Bad grammar and all.

Jessica Schley said...

I adore the cookie and the books both. :)

Cynthia said...

I loved Jolly Rancher candy when I was a kid, and I agree that they'd go well with the Junie B. Jones books.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I dig Jolly Ranchers! I bet those are good.

J Keith said...

I had never heard of these cookies - thanks for the idea for some new cookies

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Yummmm!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Jessica, me, too.

Cynthia, I think even Junie B. would love with this cookie.

Alex, you can't go wrong with cookies and Jolly Ranchers.

You are welcome, J. Keith. I hadn't heard of them either.

Ruth, they were yummy!

Naila Moon said...

I have not seen the cookies before. I have however, seen the books. I love that series. Thanks for reminding me of them.

Also, thanks for coming by today.
~Naila Moon

Angela Verges said...

Great combination - the cookies and the books. I just hid a bag of Jolly Ranchers so my son will not eat them all. I'll have to pull them out and try this recipe.


I love Junie B. Jones books.

Thanks.

Nick Wilford said...

They look scrumptious. We don't have Jolly Rancher in the UK AFAIK. We're missing out!

Lynda R Young said...

I've never ehard of a Jolly Rancher before. They look yum.

Lynda R Young said...

(pls excuse my bad typing)

Marcia said...

Oh, these are so pretty!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Naila, you're welcome. Junie B. is always good for a re-read.

Angela, sounds like your son is a kid after my own heart.

Nick, maybe I should send you some. They're yummy!

Lynda, oh no! You've got to try one. You are forgiven. Our fingers are getting a workout this month.

Marcia, I think they're pretty, too.

Share this: