Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I'm taking part in the fourth A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE – if you want to join in. You'll make many new friends, but most of all you'll have fun!

My theme – I have selected a cookie for each day and a book that begins with the letter of the day. I also added a few fun facts about the cookie and/or its ingredients. In America, a cookie is described as a thin, sweet, usually small cake. By definition, a cookie can be any of a variety of hand-held, flour-based sweet cakes, either crisp or soft.

Italian Wedding Cookies                          

Photopin.com
My Review –For the letter I, I did not make the Italian Wedding Cookies since the only thing different about them and the Eggless Pecan Cookies was the nut; this recipe called for almonds. After making, and eating, so many cookies during this challenge, I chose this opportunity to take a day off.

Fun Facts –  The Italian Wedding Cookie is a important dessert for the wedding ceremony customs of Italy. Women family members from both sides of the families would start months before the wedding making their favorite cookies. The cookies are brought to the wedding ceremony along with other presents for the couple. The cookies would be presented on long tables. Guests of the wedding ceremony come to the reception, find their table or seat, and go to the cookie table to sample their favorite cookies.

Book Buddy – The Insomniacs by Karina Wolf and Brothers Hilts

The Insomniacs by Karina Wolf.When the Insomniacs move twelve time zones away for Mrs. Insomniac's new job, the family has an impossible time adapting to the change. They try everything to fall asleep at night--take hot baths, count to one thousand, sip mugs of milk--but nothing helps. Venturing out into the dark, they learn there is a whole world still awake and a beauty in their new and unconventional schedule.

Have you ever been to a wedding with a cookie table? Would you have room for the main course after a trip to the cookie table?

16 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

Looks good! I hope it doesn't cause aggressive bakeoffs between the women though. :)

S.P. Bowers said...

A cookie table sounds like my kind of wedding.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Gosh these look very enticing. I am enjoying all your cookie post.

Yvonne.

MadelineAnn said...

my no-carbs diet will have trouble with this one! These sound great! What fun to find a Useful blog...

Beth said...

Can I just say I love your theme?

Julie Luek said...

Have you made all these cookies to photo as you go along? If so, your family must love you.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is a lot of cookies in that picture!

Lisa-Marie Jordan said...

Stopping by from the A to Z Challenge. I love your theme - yummy!

Silvia Villalobos said...

Italian food in general is oh, so good. Cookies are to die for, I'm sure. My sister lives outside Torino, Italy, so when we talk, there's a lot of food conversation going on. Yum, so good. :)
Silvia @ Silvia Writes

Jessica Schley said...

I adore Italian wedding cookies. Should I take this as a foregone conclusion that I will also love THE INSOMNIACS?

Al Diaz said...

Cookie table! How didn't I think on something like that before. I guess I would eat them all. I could be the cookie dragon. Yummy.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Nick, I'm sure it does, much to the appreciation of the guests.

S.P., mine, too.

Thanks, Yvonne. It does look tempting.

Thank you MadelineAnn! I wish I could find some no-carb cookies.

Yes, Beth, you can. Thank you!

Hahahaha! Yes, Julie, I have and yes, they are in LOVE with me right now. Next month, well...

It is a lot of cookies Alex. Makes me want to jump in the photo.

Thanks for stopping by Lisa-Marie. Glad you're enjoying the theme.

Silvia,I love Italian food, too. I bet it taste so much better in Italy!

I can vouch for the cookies, Jessica, not sure about the book.

Al, I've never been to a wedding with a cookie table, but I hope it's in my future.

Samantha May said...

A cookie table?! I'm not getting married any time soon, but I'm writing this idea down for future reference. The Italians are living life correctly :D

Sam
Writing Through College

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I love Italian wedding cookies!

Lexa Cain said...

I love the idea of a big table full of cookies at a wedding. And it would be so great to have all different types made by all the relatives. Someone has to start that tradition in the US. :-)

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Yum, Jenn. You're ruining my resolve to eat less sugar, but I'm enjoying your cookie treats.

Share this: