Friday, March 22, 2013



Today is Celebrate the Small Things with Tara Tyler over at Scribblings of an Aspiring Author. The rules are simple, think of something that happened to you this week that made you smile, laugh or jump for joy and celebrate with a Friday post on your blog. Go here for all the details.

Being raised by a single mother of four we spent a lot of time in thrift stores looking for everything from clothes to toys. As an adult perusing through thrift stores brings back fond memories of childhood, every trip is like a treasure hunt. This week I'm celebrating a toy I found in a thrift store, a magnetic dart board.

Now, I've never owned a dart board, didn't spend my college days in bars playing darts, and, as you can see from the picture below, I'm not very good. However, in the The Artist's Way there is a quote by Stephen Nachmanovitch that has stuck with me: The most potent muse of all is our own inner child. So when I saw this dart board for only $3.99, I knew my inner child needed it.

It hangs on the door to my little office and when my muse is playing hide-and-seek with me, I play darts with her. Often the small break is the perfect recess we need before we get back to the business of writing. It doesn't work every time, but it sure beats staring at a blank page.

What small, or not so small, thing are you celebrating this week? Do you allow your inner child a time to play?



18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What a way to treat yourself! I used to be really good at darts but haven't played in years.

Suzanne Furness said...

What a great idea! Who doesn't love a bargain find :)

M. J. Joachim said...

We have our dart board on the patio...great way to pass the time and have a little fun:)

Nancy LaRonda Johnson said...

I love thrift stores too, but hated it as a child. Now that I get to pick out my own clothes the experience is so much better!

It's always nice to have that special time while the muse gets her thoughts in order. :)

BTW, I'm having a giveaway to celebrate 100 followers on my blog.

Regina Gort said...

I just love The Artists Way and love that you are celebrating your inner child.

Jen Naumann said...

Ha, darts are awesome! Enjoy. :)

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Here in the UK we are at the moment having repeats of an old series on TV
called Bullseye, it's a darts and question show. Good to watch.

Yvonne.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Alex, thanks. From my scores you can tell, neither have I.

Suzanne, I love a bargain find, sometimes too much :D

M. J. Joachim , Can you give me any tips?? I need them.

Nancy, I'm glad you enjoy thrift stores, too. My sister still hates them :{

Regina, the Artist's Way is a true gem.

Jen, thanks!

Yvonne, Bullseye sounds fun. I think I'll look for it on YouTube.

VikLit said...

A dart board what fun! Love that Bullseye has already been recc'd!

Al Diaz said...

Toys, I love toys. I agree the best muse is our inner child and it is quite a good healer too if you give the kid time, hahaha. Great gift you gave yourself!

Jackie said...

How fun! I play Ruzzle for a few minutes when my muse is being fussy.

Printed Portal said...

I often get together with a good friend of mine and play back of the door darts at her house. We keep saying we will go to a pub and do it on a proper board. we are still saying that :)

michelle said...

When I'm busy with my choir kids every week, then my inner child gets to play......

Juliet Bond said...

Here's to your inner child :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Vik, it is proving to be quite fun!

Al, I don't think we ever lose our love of toys.

Jackie, thanks. Ruzzle looks like a real brain teaser.

Printed Portal, maybe I'll get good enough to play in a pub.

Michelle, I loved choir as a kid. It's a good place to play.

Juliet, yes, cheers to the inner child.

Belle said...

I like playing darts too. What made me smile this week? Playing Scrabble with my mom and sister.

Elise Fallson said...

I'm terrible at darts, but I really do enjoy playing. We have a small board that uses safety darts, and when I play, the darts usually end up bouncing off the board, LOL!

The Happy Whisk said...

I don't recall ever playing darts.

Share this: