10. Imitation of Life (1959) – A heartbreaking story of a girl denying who she is so she can live the life she thinks she wants only to discover, too late, that she always had what she really needed, unconditional love. By far the best scene is the funeral scene, which I couldn't embed, but you can watch here.
9. Forrest Gump (1994) – Although Life is like a box of chocolates... is probably quoted more than any other line from the movie, I love this scene of Forrest breaking free from the shackles that bound him. It reminds me that no matter how rocky things seem I should just keep running.
8. Dances With Wolves (1990) – This scene of friendship found and lost still brings tears to my eyes.
7. Toy Story (1995) – Watching this movie makes me feel like a kid all over again. I can't think of a scene that I love more than the others. So here are several scenes set to the Toy Story theme song, You've Got A Friend in Me. Because everyone loves having friends.
6. Iron Man II (2010) – I love this movie. In fact I love all the Iron Man movies, but since it might be considered cheating adding them all here, I picked just this one because it's when Tony Stark gets his cool new Iron Man suit. Plus, I love the music and all the Avengers hints that of course I didn't see until after I saw Avengers.
5. Love Comes Softly (2003) – I discovered this movie while flipping channels one day and fell in love with the entire concept that, Love isn't fireworks, sometimes love just comes softly. I didn't know it was based on a book series but I loved the old-fashioned premise of people allowing themselves to let love come softly. Scroll into nine minutes to hear those exact words.
4. The Lion King (1994 ) – There is so much to be learned from The Lion King it would take entire blog post, or two to cover it all. One stand out memory from this movie is to learn from your past, no matter how painful the memory is. I don't go around hitting people with sticks, like Rafiki, to prove this point, but I do think not letting the past hold us back is a lesson we could all use to keep us moving forward regardless of where we've been.
3. Finding Nemo (2003) – This movie makes me laugh every time I see it and I've seen it a lot of times. As a writer it's often hard to find a movie that does that, but Nemo fits the bill. Below is a clip for the 3-D version ( which I have not seen) but this clip has a lot of my favorite lines in it, Good feeling's gone. Fish are friends not food. I speak whale. Swim away! Man, I love this movie.
2. The Passion of the Christ (2004) – While this movie moves me to tears from beginning to end, it also reminds me of the price that was paid for my salvation and that I should never take it lightly.
1. Shawshank Redemption (1994) – There are very few movies which I can watch repeatedly with the same enthusiasm as the first viewing, but for me, Shawshank is the movie that drums up that kind of enthusiasm This movie speaks to me every time I see it. I suppose it's the little guy being unjustly persecuted, getting denied a chance at redemption, but in the end finding atonement for himself and serving it to those around him. I don't think I'll every grow tired of watching this movie.
There's my Top Ten. Did you see any of your favorites? If so let me know. If not let me know what made your Top Ten list. Then hop around and see what others are listing. I bet you will find a few of your favorites.