Monday, March 18, 2013


Ninja Captain Alex's Top Ten Movie Countdown Blogfest is on! I did manage to whittle my list down to only ten favorites for today, March 18, 2013. But by next week this list could change. My taste in movies, like my craving for desserts does not remain constant. Although Shawshank, like chocolate, will always be top on my list.

10. Imitation of Life (1959) – A heartbreaking story of a girl denying who she is so she can live the life she thinks she wants only to discover, too late, that she always had what she really needed, unconditional love. By far the best scene is the funeral scene, which I couldn't embed, but you can watch here.

                                                                 
9. Forrest Gump (1994) – Although Life is like a box of chocolates... is probably quoted more than any other line from the movie, I love this scene of Forrest breaking free from the shackles that bound him. It reminds me that no matter how rocky things seem I should just keep running.



8. Dances With Wolves (1990) – This scene of friendship found and lost still brings tears to my eyes.



 7. Toy Story (1995) – Watching this movie makes me feel like a kid all over again. I can't think of a scene that I love more than the others. So here are several scenes set to the Toy Story theme song, You've Got A Friend in Me. Because everyone loves having friends.

                                                                 
6. Iron Man II (2010) – I love this movie. In fact I love all the Iron Man movies, but since it might be considered cheating adding them all here, I picked just this one because it's when Tony Stark gets his cool new Iron Man suit. Plus, I love the music and all the Avengers hints that of course I didn't see until after I saw Avengers.


5. Love Comes Softly (2003) – I discovered this movie while flipping channels one day and fell in love with the entire concept that, Love isn't fireworks, sometimes love just comes softly. I didn't know it was based on a book series but I loved the old-fashioned premise of people allowing themselves to let love come softly.  Scroll into nine minutes to hear those exact words. 


4. The Lion King (1994 ) – There is so much to be learned from The Lion King it would take entire blog post, or two to cover it all. One stand out memory from this movie is to learn from your past, no matter how painful the memory is. I don't go around hitting people with sticks, like Rafiki, to prove this point, but I do think not letting the past hold us back is a lesson we could all use to keep us moving forward regardless of where we've been. 


3. Finding Nemo (2003) – This movie makes me laugh every time I see it and I've seen it a lot of times. As a writer it's often hard to find a movie that does that, but Nemo fits the bill. Below is a clip for the 3-D version ( which I have not seen) but this clip has a lot of my favorite lines in it, Good feeling's gone. Fish are friends not food. I speak whale. Swim away! Man, I love this movie.


2. The Passion of the Christ (2004) – While this movie moves me to tears from beginning to end, it also reminds me of the price that was paid for my salvation and that I should never take it lightly. 



1.  Shawshank Redemption (1994) –  There are very few movies which I can watch repeatedly with the same enthusiasm as the first viewing, but for me, Shawshank is the movie that drums up that kind of enthusiasm  This movie speaks to me every time I see it. I suppose it's the little guy being unjustly persecuted, getting denied a chance at redemption, but in the end finding atonement for himself and serving it to those around him. I don't think I'll every grow tired of watching this movie. 



There's my Top Ten. Did you see any of your favorites? If so let me know. If not let me know what made your Top Ten list. Then hop around and see what others are listing. I bet you will find a few of your favorites.

42 comments:

L.G. Keltner said...

The Shawshank Redemption is on my list too! My sons would definitely have The Lion King and Finding Nemo on their movie lists!

Naila Moon said...

I've seen everyone but #10.
I too put video to my list. ;)
Great picks.
~Naila Moon

~Naila Moon
http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2013/03/mondays-music-moves-me-and-top-10-movies.html#comment-form

Empty Nest Insider said...

Shawshank Redemption is an excellent movie! It's so sad that Michael Clark Duncan died so young.
Forrest Gump is also a wonderful movie. I agree that Imitation of Life is a very moving story. Great list Jenn!

Julie

Jeremy [Retro] said...

Sorry never saw any of those films... Kidding.. great list.

Jeremy [Retro-Z]
Howlin' Wolf

Elise Fallson said...

Oh, I've seen just about all fo these too and Shawshank Redemption is an amazing movie, wish my list could have been longer. However, I've never seen Imitation of Life, but that clip was heart wrenching.

LuAnn Braley said...

Following from the Top 10 Movie Countdown Blogfest!

Two of your movies I have not even seen! But I really would like to see The Passion of the Christ.

Tina said...

Man, the more of these I read, the more I realize I'm a total movie fanatic. Seriously, every list makes me go, "Oh yeah! That should have been on my list!" But then I'd have a list 100 miles long...I'm a serious movie buff.
Love how you in-bedded clips for us, and those not familiar with the movies. Very nice touch.
And nice to meet you, sister in Christ. The Passion of The Christ was probably The most difficult movie I've ever watched, but if Christ suffered all that for me, sheesh, I certainly ought to be able to WATCH it. Although not without bawling the entire time...


Tina @ Life is Good
Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
@TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

Jo said...

I hated Dances with Wolves the first time, I found the first part so boring. I then watched it a second time and several times since and love it. Especially the music.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

M.J. Fifield said...

There are so many fantastic films on this list! I love it!!

Shell Flower said...

Amazing list here. My son compares every movie to Finding Nemo. It's basically the top of his ratings scale :)

jaybird said...

Hey Jenn! Wonderful choices. I can't get through The Passion of the Christ without breaking down. My family watches it around Easter time, to help us remember all He has done for us :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

He paid a price we can't ever forget.
I picked the Avengers which pretty much covers all of the films. Because they are all great.
Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

Mark Means said...

Forrest Gump was another classic I didn't include in my list, but still loved. Great list!

SC Author said...

Is it sad that I never watched Forrest Gump :( I know!

Al Diaz said...

I liked Forrest Gump although I didn't include it in my list. Of course Nemo and the Lion King are something special!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Jenn. I've seen most of the movies on your top ten list. Great picks.

nutschell said...

Yay you put Finding Nemo on your list! love that you put trailers as well. Great seeing you last Saturday!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Nicole said...

I almost watched Dances with Wolves last night. Great movie!

D.G. Hudson said...

You've got several on your list I like! Lion King, Iron Man,and Shawshank.

Adriana Dascalu said...

Beautiful list! i've seen most of them.

David P. King said...

Glad to see some animation love in your list. :)

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, Finding Nemo!!! That is one that could have made mine if I'd thought about it... I love Dori.

Alber. said...

Oh, i love the Toy Story Saga! Is so so nice :) I like the list. Te esperamos por nuestro espacio, si? Abrazos!

Nancy Thompson said...

You have so many great flicks here. I've got Forrest Gump on my list, too. I love Dances With Wolves, Passion of the Christ, and Shawshank Redemption!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Yay, another Lion King fan! I really like your thoughtful explanations too, and the one about Love Comes Softly makes me want to see it. Nice job.

xoRobyn

M. J. Joachim said...

Dances with Wolves - such a great movie indeed!

Belle said...

Dances with Wolves is one of my favorite movies. A beautiful film.

Christine Rains said...

Fantastic list! I'm trying to interest my son in Finding Nemo and Toy Story, but he isn't ready to sit down for a whole movie yet.

Laura Eno said...

That's a perfect way to put it - my tastes change too, but certain movies like Star Wars would be my chocolate! :)

LD Masterson said...

Imitation of Life is a beautiful movie I'll bet not a lot of people doing the blogfest have seen. I didn't think to include animated movies on my list but Finding Nemo would have been in the running.

Deniz Bevan said...

Love Finding Nemo!
I remember Dances with Wolves - I even had the photo book of that movie!

Trisha F said...

I haven't seen all these, but I absolutely love Forrest Gump, Dances With Wolves (I forgot about this!!), The Lion King and Shawshank.

Empty Nest Insider said...

I'm back again. I saw The Green Mile on someone else's list and realized that I had mistaken it with Shawshank Redemption. They are both fantastic prison movies, and the late Michael Clark Duncan appeared in The Green Mile. Sorry for the confusion.

Julie

Samantha May said...

Awesome that you included The Passion. A heart wrenching film indeed.

Finding Nemo is awesome. I saw it in theaters when I was 10 or so, and I think my mom laughed more than I did. Of course now I know that fish are friends, not food :)

Rhonda said...

Loved Finding Nemo. We saw it so many times when my girls were young. I thought about adding to my list.
Rhonda
Laugh-Quotes.com

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Shawshank Redemption and Forrest Gump are two of my favorite movies.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

WOW! Thanks everyone for your comments. I spent most of the day offline, but loved coming back to so many wonderful comments. Thanks again to the Ninja Captain for hosting the Top Ten Movie Countdown Blogfest. I had a blast!

Mel Kinnel said...

Imitation of Life is a great "lesson" film. I love Nemo, Shawshank and I have to say, Forrest Gump is one of my all-time favorite movies. I own it on VHS (don't laugh)!

Tammy Theriault said...

shawshank is definitely getting lots of popular votes!!

Medeia Sharif said...

I really want to see Imitation of Life.

I've only watched Forrest Gump from this list. I need to see all of these.

Ashley Nixon said...

Shawshank Redemption was awesome, so was Forrest Gump! And of course, the Lion King. I had Iron Man II on my list! (And the first one, too). Great list!

The Capillary said...

I've only seen a handful of the movies on your list, I'll have to add the rest to my "to watch list". :3

Share this: