Monday, March 11, 2013

It's National Napping Day!

Today is Napping Day, an unofficial holiday created in 1999 by now-retired Boston University professor William Anthony and his wife, Camille, to help people adjust to Daylight Saving Time.

After losing an hour of sleep by setting clocks forward, many in the workforce will drag through today; hence the need for a power nap. Depending on your job, it may even be critical. A NASA study on sleepy military pilots and astronauts found that a 40-minute nap improved performance by 34 percent and alertness by 100 percent.
Napping Day provides an opportunity to adjust after changes to daylight savings when losing an hour of sleep due to springing forward. Mid-afternoon naps are an integral part of most cultures, and scientifically proven to be good for you – so here’s to justifying a few hours of well deserved Zzzz's!

If your Human Resources Department frowns on naps at work, don't fret you can still celebrate today because March 11th is also: Worship of Tools DayNational Oatmeal Nut Waffles Day and World Plumbing Day.

What are you celebrating this Monday?

11 comments:

Elaine L. Bridge said...

What a great post!!! I admit to being an avid napper...will celebrate the day in the appropriate way today, because I'm off and will have the opportunity to let the ZZzz's fly!!! I especially loved the end of your piece! Nothing like finding something to celebrate, every single day! Thanks for starting mine off with a smile. :)

M.J. Fifield said...

I had no idea there was such a thing, but I like it. And perfect too, as I have a shift at my day job today.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

My hubby would be much happier if this day fell on Sunday, when he usually celebrates napping day. :D

Julie Luek said...

I hate to let a holiday get away without celebration! zzzz

Joy said...

Apparently my celebration started early. I took a nap yesterday. Fun post!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll start by sleeping on my desk here at work!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Elaine, glad to help brighten your day with a smile. I also enjoy a good nap.

Go for it M.J.!

Stina, Sunday would definitely have more participants ;p

Yes, Julie, we really *should* celebrate

Joy, I did too!

Alex, great idea! If we sleep at our desk, it's dream research right?

Susanne Drazic said...

Now I have a good reason to go and take a nap. All in the name of celebrating an unofficial holiday, of course. : )

Nicole said...

Oh, I so miss naps. We never appreciate them enough as kids. ;)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Susanne, we can't just ignore an official holiday can we?

Nicole, I know!!! Oh to have to take naps again *sigh*

Annalisa Crawford said...

Can't believe I missed National Napping Day. Can I nap today? Or am I unable to nap until next year??

Share this: