Monday, March 25, 2013

Happy International Waffle Day!

The Best Waffles Ever

Today I'm celebrating International Waffle Day thanks to a long-ago  miscommunication from the Swedes and their descendants. In the more orthodox Christian tradition March 25 is the Feast of the Annunciation — the date nine months prior to Christmas which symbolizes the angel Gabriel’s visit to Mary to tell her she would give birth to Jesus [Corrected for accuracy, 3/24/11]. In Sweden, the day was instead known as Our Lady Day (Vårfrudagen), and it was widely observed in days gone by. However, since different dialects pronounced the name differently, the altered “Våfferdagen” was soon mistaken for “Våffeldagen” — and Waffle Day was born.

Although I prefer eating my waffles for breakfast, I'm not opposed to having them for lunch, dessert or dinner with fried chicken patterned after the famous Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. Waffles are the perfect brunch meal since you can set up batter, toppings, waffle irons and let your guest serve themselves freeing you up to enjoy their company.

I avoid all frozen waffles preferring to make a batch from scratch, freezing them between wax paper and popping them in the toaster oven for a quick breakfast. There are a ton of waffle recipes to chose from to create your perfect waffle. It's all a matter of preference. Mr. Breakfast has over 100 waffle recipes to chose from; I'm sure you'll find one that works for you. After you find your waffle recipe follow Mr. Breakfast's ten tips to get the perfect waffle.

A Quick Waffle History Lesson:

13th Century A.C. - Ancient Greeks cook flat cakes between two metal plates. These early waffles were called obleios and were primarily savory in nature, prepared with cheeses and herbs.
  • 1620 - The pilgrims bring Dutch "wafles" to America.
  • 1735 - The word "waffle" - with two "f"s - appears in English print for the first time.
  • Late 1800's - Thomas Jefferson returns to the U.S. from France with a long handled, patterned waffle iron.
  • 1869 - Cornelius Swarthout patents the first U.S. Waffle Iron.
  • 1953 - Frank Dorsa's Eggo Frozen Waffles are sold in Supermarkets for the first time.
  • 1964-65 - Brussels restaurateur Maurice Vermersch brings his wife's Brussels Waffle recipe to the World's Fair in New York. The fluffy yeast-infused waffle becomes a huge hit and becomes known as the Belgium waffle.
Read more on the history of waffles at The Nibble

How do you like your waffles? Have you ever tried chicken and waffles? 

14 comments:

Sally said...

I've never eaten a waffle!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Haven't had a waffle in years, you have got my taste buds watering.

Yvonne.

Dana said...

Those waffles look so good! I've never had chicken and waffles, but I'd definitely give them a try.

Happy Monday!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Yum!

Julie Luek said...

My husband is the waffle maker in our house and it's a rare treat when he breaks out the waffle iron!

Laura said...

Mmm I like mine with golden syrup, yum :)

Elaine L. Bridge said...

Arg, I should have read this post BEFORE I went out for breakfast, as I would have ordered differently! Do you know, I had never heard of "chicken and waffles" until Lays came out with a potato chip test flavor of the same? I got a bag...will eat those today in celebration! Thanks for the inspiration!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I didn't know the history of the day - very cool!
Waffles rock, although I can't eat them often. Maybe I'll have one today. Or not. Bummer, now I'm waffling...

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Sally, wow! I think you're the first person I know who's never had a waffle.

Yvonne, go for it!

Dana & Donna, today's the perfect day to indulge.

Julie, I'm the waffle maker in our house. Although I wouldn't mind if my husband picked it up.

Laura, me, too!

Elaine, I've never heard of chicken and waffle Lays. That sounds intriguing.

Alex, glad to share the information. I hope all your waffling leads to a waffle.

The Happy Whisk said...

I have tried chicken and waffles and liked it. But really, it's a waffle so I'm pretty open about the toppings.

Cheers and boogie boogie.

Belle said...

I've loved waffles since I was a kid but rarely eat them now since gluten makes me sick. However, I have found some rice flour recipes for pancakes and I'm going to try them.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

More than just a pancake with holes!

Mark Means said...

I'm more of a 'pancake' guy, myself, but it was fun learning more about waffles as well as International Waffle Day...I never knew there was such a thing :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Happy Whisk, there are very few toppings that don't go well with waffles.

Belle, love all the gluten free alternatives available now.

L. Diane, great analogy. Those holes are perfect syrup holders.

Mark, learning new stuff is always fun.

Share this: