Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Get S.M.A.R.T.


No, no that Smart. Get S.M.A.R.T about setting Specific Measurable Achievable Realistic and Time-Targeted goals. 

There is a school of thought that suggests goal-setting is an effective tool for making progress toward a desired goal. Being clearly aware of what is expected helps one work toward, and meet, objectives. 

Studies have shown that specific and ambitious goals lead to a higher level of performance than easy or general goals. It has been said that "Goal setting capitalizes on the human brain's amazing powers: Our brains are problem-solving, goal-achieving machines."

With that thought in mind I set some S.M.A.R.T. goals concerning my writing. When I didn't meet all of them by my end of the week deadline, I revised and made new ones for this week. I've discovered that setting S.M.A.R.T. goals provide me a road map toward the finish line. I don't always make it across on the first try, but at least I know there is an end in sight. And that keeps me moving forward.

How do you get across the finish line? Do you set goals? Is goal setting effective for you?  

Some goal setting food for thought:

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it
often serves simply as something to aim at. Bruce Lee
A goal is a dream with a deadline. Napoleon Hill
Monochrome head-and-left-shoulder photo portrait of 50-year-old Lewis
You're never too old to set another goal
or dream a new dream. C.S. Lewis

What is your goal for this week?

13 comments:

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

I'm a list maker. I make a list of 6 things to accomplish in my day and I get them done. My goal this week is to make sure I don't forget anything for my move! :) - I wrote down your S.M.A.R.T tips in my daily planner. Now I have no excuses! :) Thank you.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

It is good to set goals during life and to follow them through is most self satisfying.

Good post to read and most enjoyable.
Yvonne.

S.P. Bowers said...

My husband is all about S.M.A.R.T. goals. I'm not as much a goal maker. I have dreams and I often know the how, when, why of doing them but I rarely think about it in terms of making goals. This week, I want to finish rewriting my query. Again.

Nicki Elson said...

I do like setting goals - and for me it helps to break it down into smaller tasks that will allow me to reach the big one. I really must get back to writing them down though. Too easy to get off track otherwise.

Julie Luek said...

Love this post and am now saying, "hello, chief?" in my head. I am a list-maker and keep index cards of goal readily visible. For me, the important thing is setting them and then being flexible with them. Life gets in the way many times and I have to learn to roll with that.

Joy said...

I like that you seemed to not beat yourself up for not reaching the goal, but rather adjusted and set a new one. I'll try this too.

Nicole said...

Yup, I set goals and deadlines all the time. It helps you keep moving forward...which is really the only goal that matters.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I work better - and faster - with a deadline.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Mimi, I hope the S.M.A.R.T. tips help. Six things seem like an obtainable goal. Good luck with your move!

Yvonne, I do feel great when I can cross something off my list

S.P., I like that you keep your dreams with you at all times. I feel your query pain :{

Nicki, my thoughts exactly. I need a list to keep me on track.

Julie, hahahaha, now I'm saying, Hello Chief?, too. Learning to roll with life is a must if you want to make it out alive.

Joy, good for you Joy. Goals are supposed to inspire us, not condemn us.

Nicole, great comment, Nicole. Forward momentum is the key.

Alex, me too. Why is that???

Belle said...

Yes, I think setting goals is a good motivator for everyone. Now that I am retired, I don't set very many beyond getting the house clean etc. I do have a goal of going to Oregon for two weeks and seeing as much as I can. Whenever I have seen Oregon, we have been on the way somewhere else. It is so beautiful I want to take my time and look around.

Mark Means said...

Any post that has Bruce Lee -and- the late, great, Don Adams can't be bad!

I had one goal this week, and achieved it...which always feels good. I'll be talking about it on my blog, Friday :)

Sherry Ellis said...

I always set goals. They help keep me focused. Great post!

The Happy Whisk said...

I like goals and challenges. Similar but sometimes not. Both are fun, just the same.

Share this: