Friday, February 22, 2013

 

Today is Celebrate the small things blogfest with Tara Tyler over at Scribblings of an Aspiring Author. The rules are simple; think of something that happened to you this week that made you smile, laugh or jump for joy and celebrate with a Friday post on your blog. Go here for full info but in short: sign up on the linky list, celebrate small things of awesomeness with a Friday post, hop around and congratulate others on their celebrations. That's IT!

This week I'm celebrating a small treasure I found at a re-store store. A small leather journal. It was unused and is the perfect size to carry in my purse. During the week, as I taxied my kids to sports, music, orthodontics and the plethora of places they need to be every week, I've used my *new* journal to capture characters in real life. The elderly lady at archery whose hair was so full of hair spray not even the canyon winds could shift it from it's shellacked position. The nervous teen getting braces for the first time. The mom obsessed with her iPhone. Real people living real life. I'm not sure how or if I'll ever use any of these characters in a story, but I have them just in case.


How about you? What small thing are you celebrating this week?

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That lady must've used half a can of hairspray then!

Suzanne Furness said...

What a great idea and a great find!

Julie Luek said...

You know, I carry a tablet in my purse with the best of intentions to jot down observations, but somehow in the midst of them, I'm too busy absorbing all the senses to write! Of course, unless I make a note of it later, it fades and blends with collective memories. Great idea and great find (I love finds like this!).

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Alex, it was a sight to behold.

Suzanne, thanks. I think so too.

Julie, You are right, if I don't jot it down, I lose the memory. I love finds like this too!

L.G. Keltner said...

A journal is a writer's best friend! I'm glad it found a good home.

michelle said...

Such a great idea!
Congrats on finding the perfect treasure to capture those impressions while you are "in the moment"... or they are forever lost!

Belle said...

A wonderful idea. It is little details that make a character interesting. Love the image of the woman's hair!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

L.G., my journal has become my new best friend.

Michelle, thank you. I'm hoping to build a treasure of memories.

Belle, if location is the key in real estate; details, details, details, is the key for writers.

Annalisa Crawford said...

What a great find! I love journals - I have to stop myself buying them.

My small thing - finally starting to decorate #2 son's bedroom!

Al Diaz said...

Seems you did field research then. I have many note books worth to become journals but I'm terrible at trying to write anything on them. Congratulations!

Yolanda Renee said...

I haver a collection of notebooks, college ruled paper, and spiral's. Love my notebooks and when I don't have one, I feel naked! :)

Yours looks special!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Annalisa, I feel you! I always need a *new* journal. Have fun with the decorating.

Al, thanks. Everything is a work in process. I hope to keep writing in my journal.

Yolanda, thanks. The look is what drew me to it.

VikLit said...

Journals are great, and it looks lovely. How awesome to be capturing all these details in it. thanks for joining in celebrating!

Stephen Tremp said...

That's great you keep notes on people and happenings. They do come in handy when writing.

Lexa Cain said...

Congrats on the new notebook! I love that you're using it for people watching. Great idea! :-)

S.P. Bowers said...

Having that perfect journal that fits in your purse is so important!

Nancy LaRonda Johnson said...

Those sound like wonderful soundbites of characters in a book. So real it's crazy. Those are the best character developments, when you can actually imagine it and wonder if they are real. Great find!

Share this: