Monday, February 25, 2013

Let's Eat!


Today is National Clam Chowder Day! If I could I would drive to Pismo Beach and celebrate with a buttered bread bowl of New England Calm Chowder from the Splash Cafe. It is the best I've tasted on the entire West Coast.

The Splash Cafe has been around since 1989 and makes their clam chowder fresh everyday. Their chowder is in such high demand that they now ship it (frozen) to you anywhere in the Continental United States with a 100% money back guarantee! The restaurant's plastic chairs and backyard atmosphere won't win any awards for ambiance, but if you're looking for a good bowl of chowder pop into the Splash Cafe. Just be sure to get there early, because the line of customers with the same idea wraps around the building on National Clam Chowder Day and every other day.

Speaking of eating, what do your characters eat? Do they eat? I've noticed on TV, and in movies, themes are often centered around eating: Monk's Cafe, in Seinfield, Krusty Burger, in The Simpsons, Gusteau’s, in Ratatouille, to name a few. How do you show your characters eating? Do they have a food they love? Hate?

A wonderfully moving food scene is the one in Ratatouille (scroll to 1:15) where the food critic, Anton Ego (clever last name) bites into the title dish and is emotionally transported back to his childhood. Food is a necessary part of the real world which infers it should be a part of the book world. Is food a part of your book world?

9 comments:

Julie Luek said...

My mom grew up in New England and carried the slight dialect with her most of her life. I still have fond memories of her clam chowder. Makes me want to cook up a pot!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll need to have some soup today!
And Ratatouille is a great film.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Julie, what a lucky girl to have homemade chowder from mom.

Alex, me too! Who cares if it's sunny and 72 degrees.

Belle said...

I write cartoons but I haven't had them eat yet. That is a good idea though. I love soup in a bread bowl - yummy!

Jaime said...

One of my favorite memories is eating chowder at Fisherman's Warf. Yum!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

On the Oregon Coast, we had Mo's and Mo's famous clam chowder. Unfortunately, I've a vegan now and can't eat it.

Melissa Kinnel said...

That is so funny that you mentioned that scene from Ratatouille because the hubby and I always reference it when something reminds us of our childhood. That's one of favorite scenes in the movie!

Nicole said...

Wow, there's a nat'l clam chowder day? Now I kind of want some. :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Love that film. I own that film. Along with many other food movies.

Soup always sounds good.

Share this: