Friday, February 1, 2013

Book Trailer Friday is here! The featured book trailer this month is Wonder, by R.J. Palacio.

Summary: August Pullman was born with a facial deformity that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER, now a #1 New York Times bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance. 

This book is one of the few that I began but didn't finish. I'm not sure why, but I didn't. However after watching the trailer, I think I'll give it another shot. I guess that is why some authors make book trailers to generate the interest of readers like me asking us to give their book one more chance. Who knows? Reading Wonder with a new found interest from the book trailer may just turn it into a book I love.

Have you read Wonder? Did it get your vote for the Newberry? If not, what book did get your vote?



Today is also the day to “Celebrate the Small Things”  hosted every Friday by VikLit.

This week I celebrate getting my copy of The Emotion Thesaurus in the mail as well as discovering another book, Revision & Self-Editing, that I am hopeful will move me along on my revising journey.

I hope each of you have a wonderful book-filled weekend reading something you fall in love with.


21 comments:

Yvonnes Poetry Corner said...

Great review, I haven't read Wonder, I don't read that many books these days but enjoy reading all about the authors and their books on line.

Enjoy your week-end.

Yvonne.

Tyrean Martinson said...

The Emotion Thesaurus is a great book! I hope you enjoy it and find it as useful as I have.
I haven't read Wonder, but I understand re-reading something I've tried before . . .sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

The Armchair Squid said...

That is a good trailer.

Alright, I'll fess up. I didn't know book trailers existed. The age of YouTube is fun.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Tyrean. Looking forward to using my Emotion Thesaurus. As for Wonder, I hope the second time is the charm.

Armchair Squid, glad to share something new with you. It's amazing what you can find on YouTube.

Dana said...

I've picked up that book at the library a few times but have always put it down again for some reason. Maybe I need to give it a try. Thanks!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Yvonne, (who I missed on the first post). I will have a wonderful weekend celebrating my mom's birthday!

Dana, I understand completely. I've heard so many good things about Wonder. I hope I can discover them this next read.

S.P. Bowers said...

Well, the book trailer is definitely intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Wow to the trailer. And Emotion Thesaurus is well worth the price!

VikLit said...

Congrats on the arrival of your book - the Emotion Thesaurus is GREAT! Thanks for celebrating this week :)

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

Love the trailer and will def have to read the book! And doesn't it just bug ya' not to finish a book? I try so hard not to do that but sometimes.. :p Happy Weekend!

J.A. Ward said...

Last week when you posted The Emotional Thesaurus I looked it up too and added it to my Wish List - Looks like a great resource but I have to limit myself of I would buy hundreds of books a month! Thanks for sharing and hope you have a lovely weekend too!

PS: I am nominating you for the Liebster Award! I will posting more details on my blog tomorrow morning so be sure to check it out! (www.jawardwrites.com)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You'll really like the Emotional Thesaurus. It's full of great suggestions.

M Pax said...

Best on your revising journey. I like Jack Bickhams Scene & Structure a lot.

Wonder is a great plot and I like the video.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

S.P., I agree. The book trailer is what's making me take a second look at the book.

C.L. & VikLit, that seems to be the consensus.

Mimi, I may not finish the book, but I always know how it ends ;)

J.A., thanks for the award. I have a wish list for the same reasons.

Alex, love the Emotion Thesaurus tips.

M.Pax, thanks for the best wishes and the tip. Looks like another book for my wish list.

Nancy LaRonda Johnson said...

So many wonderful resources out there. Hope you get lost in all the emotional descriptors. Better to read about them than live through them, right? :)

michelle said...

Those ladies over at The Bookshelf Muse rock!
I have the Emotion Thesaurus on my TBR pile, but I want to purchase the paperback copy!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Shannon Lawrence said...

That's a well-made book trailer, definitely intriguing. I have the Emotion Thesaurus on my wish list!

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

Sherry Ellis said...

I haven't read Wonder. The trailer looks good,though.

Medeia Sharif said...

Great trailer. I'd like to read this book.

The Emotion Thesaurus is a wonderful resource.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Nancy, Yes!

Michelle, thank you. They do rock!

Shannon, I hope you get your wish.

Sherry, the trailer is great. It's making me give the book another chance.

Medeia, I hope to like the book as much as I like the trailer.

Brinda said...

That trailer gave me goosebumps. Good ones. Powerful. :)

Share this: