Monday, January 14, 2013

Today is Clean Off Your Desk Day.

courtesy of photopin.com
I think it is interesting that here in the USA we have a day to celebrate almost everything, from the invention of the drinking straw, celebrated on January 3rd,  to bacon day on December 30th. Bacon Day is a holiday I have no problem celebrating.

Today, in honor of our messy desks, we are celebrating Clean Off Your Desk Day. Now I'm sure that I am the only one with a messy desk, but just in case you'd like to read this, and share it with a friend, here are a few tips I picked up around the web on how to celebrate Clean Off Your Desk Day.

Make sure you have a place for everything and everything has it's place.
We've all probably heard this before, and with good reason, when everything has a place, it's much easier to put it up. Not more probable, but, much easier. Unfortunately my place for everything, seems to be on top of my desk.

Use drawers.
I like this idea. I think the intent was to use them to neatly store all your office supplies, but I find drawers quite helpful when I need a quick desk clean-up to clear my mind.

Keep a blank folder nearby.
The idea of having a stack of file folders nearby, so I could file something quickly, has worked well for clearing my desk, but not so much for my file cabinet. I wonder if there is a Clean Out Your File Cabinet Day?

Throw more away.
I recently discovered how freeing this can be. When I first used this technique I used to shred everything before throwing it away. But I found that to be problematic since I'd sometimes shred it before I was completely finished with it. Now, I have a to be shredded box, so I can double check my papers before shredding.

Clean your desk everyday.
I love this idea. I do it everyday, except the days when I have to rush off and leave something unfinished, which happens to be most days, so I guess I really don't do it everyday, just some days. Okay, I only do it on the days when I'm expecting company.

If none of the above suggestions were incentive enough for you to participate in Clean Off Your Desk Day, this might give you the extra push you need. Your desk may harbor 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat. Yuck! Hard to believe, but true since 64 percent of us clean our desktops once, or less, a month.  Think about it, when was the last time you sanitized your desk? If you eat, drink, or snack at your desk, it might behoove you to take a few minutes and wipe it down with an antibacterial agent.  Don't forget the surrounding surfaces, like phones, lamps, keyboards, etc.

In the end, one must do what works best for them. What works best for you? Do you need a clutter free desk to have a clutter free mind? Or, does a blank desk  cause you to blank out? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject. If you'd like to share, please leave a comment below.

Today, in honor of the holiday, I will clean my desk, and give it a swipe with an antibacterial wipe, but as Scarlet O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day."



14 comments:

Shell Flower said...

That is scary about the bacteria at a desk. I eat at my desk at work all the time. It looks clean, but is it? Luckily, at home I don't really have a desk. Just a lap desk and laptop. Hard to clutter a desk that gets put away all the time :O)

Kyra Lennon said...

I have a desk, but I don't actually work at it lol!

Victoria Lindstrom said...

Wow! I didn't know that today was so special. I'm good though...I cleaned off my desk over the weekend. (We had guests over! ^_^)

Joy said...

This makes me want to clean all surfaces around the house today.

Johanna Garth said...

Yay! I cleaned off my desk this weekend!

T. Drecker said...

Ha! I got out of this one. I don't have a desk ;)

S.P. Bowers said...

Ha! I'm so on top of this, I already cleaned my desk today. The piles are still on the floor but that can wait until clean the floor day, right?

I'm all over bacon day!

Francene Stanley said...

Better swipe your key pad too. That is where your fingers spend most of their time.
My desk is orderly. Everything is just where it should be. Which is good because it's small. I know just where to find anthing if I need it.
Wish I could say the same thing for the kitchen. My husband's in charge of that.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Shell, a laptop is beginning to sound like a good idea right now.

@ Kyra, and yet you are able to get so much done!

@ Victoria, company is always good for a clean desk. :D

@ Joy, I know what you mean. I'm putting pop-up wipes on my desk today.

@ Johanna, now you can just enjoy the holiday.

@ T. Drecker, that gives you one less thing to do today.

@ S. P., yes, I'm sure that holiday is coming up fairly soon :D

@ Francine, yes the keyboard should be first on our list of things to clean.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I wish I had a desk to clean up, instead all my work gets put on shelves at the end of the day (or on the floor if I'm feeling lazy). Today it's Appreciate Your Shelf day in my house - Hubby doesn't seem enthusiastic though :-)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahaha! Thanks for the laugh Annalisa. I'll celebrate Appreciate Your Shelf day with you.

Yvonne Lewis said...

I try to keep my desk tidy but alas thinking is as far as it gets,

Thanks for the comment and being a new follower, much appreciated.

Yvonne.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Too bad I didn't know this at the time, as my desk sure needs it!!!

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Oh, I love this! I need an official clean off your desk day more often. I know what I'm doing when I get home from work. . .

Share this: