Wednesday, January 23, 2013




Last week I had an opportunity to Schmooze in Hollywood! I've been to schmoozes before, but this was my first time schmoozing in Hollywood. Okay, it wasn't all glitz and glamour, like one would imagine a Hollywood Schmooze would be, it was better. It was all writing and work, which is exactly what this author needs. The topic was: Emotional Writing: Connect to Convey. Since connecting your readers to your characters is crucial, I couldn't wait to dig in.

We started the night with a writing exercise, then went on to draw an emotional event from our childhood, showing only the inanimate objects. Never having done an emotional illustration before, I was amazed at the insight it brought me into seeing the life and emotion of a scene. Things appeared in my illustration that I might not have shown with my words. I will definitely be using this skill the next time I'm stuck on what to show in a scene.

Another tool from the night was a book I went right home and ordered: The Emotion Thesaurus. I'm not sure about you, but there are times when I can't figure out exactly how to show an emotion. Ask yourself, how many times does your characters, sigh, shrug or shake their heads? There was an editor in the group who said the protagonist in the story she was reviewing grimaced 150 times! Which made me wonder if I had any actions that occurred 150 times.

Overall it was a wonderful night and I will be going back next month to review Writing Devices. How about you? Do you schmooze with your fellow artists? Did you even know writers liked to schmooze? If you're looking for a list of schmoozes, check out the SCBWI website. It is full of ideas to connect you to the world of writing and illustrators. Who knows? I might even see you next month in Hollywood.


26 comments:

Johanna Garth said...

This is the first time I've heard about a schmooze. Sounds like a great way to connect and work on your writing.

Al Diaz said...

I have the Emotional Thesaurus and it's a jewel. I have learned a lot from it.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Johanna, I hope you can find a schmooze in your area. They are a gift to the artist in you.

@ Al, I can't wait to get mine :D

Tammy Theriault said...

Emotional writing...wow, sounds like a great exercise....tissue please!

Dana said...

I've heard a lot of good things about The Emotion Thesaurus. Maybe that's a sign I should order it. :)

Yvonne's World of Poetry said...

Emotional writing do sound interesting.
I went to Hollywood last year, we were staying in LA and Arlee Bird met up with us at the hotel and took us around Hollywood. A wonderful day.

Yvonne.

Christine Rains said...

I've heard awesome things about The Emotion Thesaurus. I don't get any time to schnooze any more. Maybe once the boy is in school full time. I rub elbows with toddlers at the moment.

Deniz Bevan said...

That sounds like a wonderful shmooz! And I've been hearing great things about this book, I've got to get it for myself.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Tammy, it is a great exercise.

@ Dana, follow the signs.

@ Yvonne, Arlee is all heart. Glad you enjoyed the city.

@ Christine, I rub foreheads with my toddlers now. Enjoy the elbow days.

@ Deniz, it was the first time I had heard of it. I'm looking forward to having it on my reference shelf.

Cynthia said...

Sounds like your experience schmoozing in Hollywood was a very productive one. I haven't heard of the exercise of using inanimate objects to rethink an emotional experience. Maybe I could try that out.

Cherie Reich said...

It sounds like you had a great time! And I have The Emotional Thesaurus, but I really need to read it. I know it'll be helpful. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've only met a couple in real life.
You'll like The Emotional Thesaurus - it will really help!

Yolanda Renee said...

Thanks for the recommendation and sharing your insight. I'm ordering the book now!

Shell Flower said...

The emotion thesaurus sounds awesome. I know I find some scary numbers of sighs and smiles when I use the find and replace, but this is a great way to fix those problems. And schmoozing sounds fun!

Nicole said...

The ladies over at Bookshelf Muse definitely know their stuff!

michelle said...

The Emotion Thesaurus is on my list of must-have books.
Schmooze? Okay I'm off to check out the link------

Nick Wilford said...

How exciting! And it would never have occurred to me to draw a scene, to help show it in writing. Very interesting.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Cherie, it was really great.

@ Alex, I'm really looking forward to using it.

@ Yolanda, you are welcome.

@ Shell, schmoozing is fun.

@ Nicole, they definitely do.

@ Michelle, I think you will love schmoozing.

@ Nick, before the schmooze, it never occurred to me either.

lbdiamond said...

Sounds like a blast!

Sherry Ellis said...

I love The Emotion Thesaurus. It's really helpful!

L.G. Keltner said...

I'm a sucker for any kind of thesaurus!

I tagged you for something on my blog. Feel free to check it out!

http://lgkeltner.blogspot.com/2013/01/7-things-you-didnt-know-about-me.html

T. Drecker said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun schmoozing (eee... I misspelled that, didn't I?) That Emotion Thesaurus sounds like a diamond! My CPs and I were just talking about over-excessive eyebrow movements the other day.

Nicki Elson said...

I just recently heard of that book - thanks for the link. I'm in the midst of editing right now, and it's sometimes shockingly difficult to find just the right word (not to mention avoiding the repeats).

Glad you found your schmooze so worthwhile. :)

Nicki Elson said...

I just recently heard of that book - thanks for the link. I'm in the midst of editing right now, and it's sometimes shockingly difficult to find just the right word (not to mention avoiding the repeats).

Glad you found your schmooze so worthwhile. :)

cleemckenzie said...

Great book to celebrate!

Elise Fallson said...

Great book to highlight. I've heard so much about it...I really need to get it the next time I order on Amazon. And lucky you, schmoozing in Hollywood, sounds great! :D

Share this: