Wednesday, January 2, 2013


Happy New Year! It’s time for the first group posting of 2013 in the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. The amazing Alex J. Cavanaugh created this group to allow us writers to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the title above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. Even if you don't want to join us, feel free to visit a few blogs from the list, and leave a comment. Your words might be just the encouragement an insecure writer needs.

During the holidays I took time to relax and read. (I also made time to watch all my favorite Twilight Zone episodes during the New Year's Day marathon, but that's a story for another day.) Since several of my favorite first time authors had recently published second books, I decided they were a safe bet for a good read. Sadly, I was wrong. I won't mention their names here, since you might like their second books, but even though I had enjoyed the voice, adventure and intrigue the first time around; this time I couldn't wait for the story to be over with.

This leads me to my neurosis for the month, (which really is a neurosis since I haven't even finished my first book), if I succeed the first time, can I do it again? I've heard that as a first time author, you get a lot of first time author buzz, but the second time, the work has to create the buzz.

I know I probably should stay focused on my current W.I.P., but I don't want to be a one book wonder. I want to write books that touch the hearts and minds of today's children and their children's children. I want to write books that make children enjoy the wonder of the written word. Books that make them laugh, and want to read another one of my books. I want the next book to make them feel the same way, or better, than the first. Today, on this first Wednesday of 2013, I'm wondering, can I be a successful writer? If I can, can I do it more than once?

12 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Second books are harder for writers for sure. The first time buzz is over, and there is a lot more pressure involved. You can't guarantee success every time, all you can do is work hard and make the book the best it can be. The truth is, you really can't please everyone but as long as you're happy with what you're putting out, there's nothing more you can do. :)

L.G. Keltner said...

I'm neurotic about the same thing, even though I don't even have a 1st book out. It's a tough situation to be in, but as writers, we have to face it eventually.

And the Twilight Zone is awesome!

Nick Wilford said...

I think a lot of the pressure is internal... like Kyra said, you just have to tell the story the best way you can, and not overstress about it living up to the first book. Maybe easier said than done, but I'm sure you've got more than one great book in you!

Kelly said...

Yes, Yes, and YES! This was pretty much my post today as well. My second book comes out 2/28 of this year and I'm nervous because the first one got such great buzz/reviews. We shall see. Thanks for writing this :)

Kelly

E. Arroyo said...

One word at a time. =)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know that fear! I worried over my second book. (So hopefully that wasn't one of the books you read!) And I've worried about the third. Think it's natural, because we expect to improve, but dear Lord, what if we don't?

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Kyra! Wise advice from a wise writer.

@ L.G., I'm glad to know you feel the same way about a second book, before the first. And also to have found another Twilight Zone fan :D

@ Nick, thank you for the encouragement! I am always in need of a confidence boost.

@ Kelly, congratulations on your second book. How nice to have one done and on one the way. I'm sure it will be great and all your fears are for naught.

@ E. Arroyo, yes, I need to remind myself; one word at a time.

@ Alex, thanks for the laugh. No, it wasn't your book. Your books rock, just like you!

Melissa said...

I haven't finished my first book either and have the exact same fear. What if I do okay with number one but slump with number two? The only thing we can do is push through it to find out what happens.

michelle said...

Happy New Year Jenn!
It sounds like the pressure is even greater in anticipation of the second novel... scary thought... and I'm still struggling to get the first one going...

Sherry Ellis said...

Happy New Year! You can write more than one good book. It just might take a lot of revisions.

Cynthia said...

Isn't it nice to snuggle up on the couch watching Twilight Zone?! (Doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo!) Even though the old Twilight Zone aired many years ago, there are some really good stories and writing that came from that show.

I believe that any writer who really works at it can find success more than once.

May 2013 bring you wonderful things, including good reads and good TV!

sydneyaaliyah said...

One book wonder, I like that. Now something else to worry about. Thanks. haha. At least the second time around you know what to expect, I hope.

Here's to a great 2013.

Share this: