Wednesday, December 5, 2012

It's the first Wednesday of the month and time for another posting in the Insecure Writer's Support Group. IWSG is a place to release our fears into the world and offer encouragement to others who are doing the same. If you would like some encouragement in your writing journey, click the link above and join us. There's always room for one more.

As 2012 comes to a close, and I see the end of the second draft of my W.I.P. drawing near. I am beginning to break out in a cold sweat over whether I will successfully cross the finish line. Yes, this is the end of the second draft, which means I have crossed the finish line before. However when I looked back after the first crossing, I discovered I'd missed many check points along the way. As I approach the finish line this time, I worry that I have made the same mistake. Did I tie up all those loose ends? Did I remember to put in all the paybacks? Are there enough paybacks? Does my beginning shake hands with my ending? Did my protagonist solve all her own problems? From the questions above, you can see I've read many books on what it's supposed to look like when I'm done; the question is: Did I do it?

I know there is not a one size fits all for writers (although I wish there was), and I know that there will still be work to do after my critique partners read my W.I.P. I only hope that when they pass me the baton, I don't drop it and successfully make it across the finish line.




13 comments:

VikLit said...

What a great post and I love the image! I am sure you won't drop the baton :)

M.J. Fifield said...

You definitely won't drop the baton. Congratulations on nearing the end of the second draft. That's awesome!

Cynthia said...

I like your metaphor about questioning whether the beginning shakes hands with the ending. Sounds like you're asking all the right questions. You won't drop the baton. =)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ VikLit, thanks, I need the to hear that.

@ M.J. Thank you. I so want to cross the finish line.

@ Cynthia, glad you enjoyed the metaphor. I hope I have asked, and answered, all the right questions.

David P. King said...

All right! Glad that you made it over that threshold. It's a good feeling, isn't it? The thing about drafts is you never know how many rounds it needs to go. Some three times. Some twenty. I've decided that if a MS isn't working after a 3rd draft, it's time to move on to another project, but something tells me you won't have that problem. You're gonna make this thing happen, so keep up the awesomeness! :)

michelle said...

Congratulations Jenn!
Sounds like you are well on track... forging ahead... and you'll probably cross over the finish line with the baton firmly in your grasp!

Suzanne Furness said...

Congratulations on getting so far. Keep going towards the finish line!

Lynda R Young said...

woot! You've come a long way!!! Every milestone should be celebrated, so cheers to you!!!

Elise Fallson said...

This is exactly how I felt after finishing my second draft. I kept wondering if I had gotten all the transitions correct, if it flowed properly in sections that I had made major changes in, if it made any sense, lol! At some point you just have to trust your work and know you may need one more round to polish things up a bit more but that's ok. And congratulations for getting so far!

Tara Tyler said...

editing is like running a race on a track, which lap am i on again?

keep going! editing = improvement!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ David, Thank you for the encouragement. I hope my W.I.P. makes it through the third draft cut.

@ Michelle, Thank you! I like hearing those words: crossing the finish line!

Thank you Lynda, I should celebrate every milestone. Each one takes hard work.

Good advice Elise. I hope in time I will learn to trust the work. It's what good writers do.

@ Tara, I like your tag: editing=improvement. I'll keep that in mind as I take the next lap.

Donna Hole said...

You are asking the right questions of the work, so you must have given it a lot of self editing before turning it over to the readers. You're making their job easier :)

Its nice to have a second (or third or fourth) pair of eyes on a finished product to assure us we've done what we set out to do. I won't submit anything without at least one round of critiques.

Good luck with the editing.

......dhole

David P. King said...

It was Pearl Harbor that sent my grandfather to the pacific theater. What a collection of stories he brought back from being part of that. Great post! :)

Share this: