Monday, November 26, 2012

Although my children are far beyond the picture book age, I still find reading them quite enjoyable. I love perusing through the aisles, drinking in all the colorful images, words and characters. I like the magic I experience as I travel through the simple story told in those 32 pages. I am an adult, but I still find pleasure in reading a delightful picture book.

Recently, I had the opportunity to read This Is Not My Hat by J. Klassen and adored it. I loved watching the story unfold in words and pictures; not telling you what really happens, but trusting you to come to your own conclusion, based on the clues he gives you.


After reading This Is Not My Hat, I began to get nostalgic for some of the classic picture books I'd read to my children, so I perused through their bookshelves and read a few favorites. This peaked my curiosity as to whether these books were still favorites  and discovered, through a Google search, that many of my favorites had made the top 100 Children's Books of all time. Books like Where the Wild Things Are, The Giving Tree, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day to name a few. I was even more pleased to learn that out of the top 100, I've read 77 of them and own over 50 of the 100 titles on the list; some I can still recite from memory: The sun has set not long ago. Now everybody goes below. To take a bath in one big tub. With soap all over, scrub,scrub, scrub...Ahh, I love this book.

                                                      

I bet a few of your favorites are on the list also. You can check here. But, before you go, please share the title of your favorite picture book. Is it a book that you wrote? A gift from an adoring grandparent? Or just something that makes you feel like a kid again? I'd love to find out what picture book you love, I am always in need of a new book to read. As Dr. Seuss says: “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”


5 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

You mentioned a few of my favorite titles in your post, and Sandra Boynton's books are so fun, I've read The Going To Bed Book to my kids but also really like Moo, Baa, La La La. But I'd have to say my number one favorite picture book right now is Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler. I've read it countless times to my kids and enjoyed it every single time. (:

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Elise, I've never read Room on the Broom, I've added it to my list.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Does the Going to Bed Book work?

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

A favorite with my kids and now my grandsons is 'Good Night Moon.' And I must admit, it's one of my favorites too. Picture books truly do bring back some great memories. Thank you for this post Jenn.. And now I must bug my children for more grand babies! :) I'll tell them it was your idea.. Lol.. :)

Heather Gardner said...

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is my son's favorite night time book. We love to read it together.
Great post.
Heather

Share this: